• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A5 who for threading/Brake?

smoothy8500

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2012
South Orange County, CA
So who is able to do it correctly? My local trustworthy smiths can do it, but don't have the correct specs and would need a diagram/specs. Any suggestions for smiths or correct diagrams?

Mark at raven rifles…. If he’s still taking work

After seeing abunch of @RWSGunsmithing stuff on here, prolly be an easy job for him too.

Last edited:
So who is able to do it correctly? My local trustworthy smiths can do it, but don't have the correct specs and would need a diagram/specs. Any suggestions for smiths or correct diagrams?
With due respect to your trustworthy smith, what specs do you need? Your brake is probably 5/8-24, most muzzle devices .600 in length. That's it.

Edit: Here's the spec from Surefire - Reign Over Recoil.The MB762SSAL/RE enables attachment of FA762SS suppressors to Armalite AR-10 and to other 7.62mm (.308 cal.) semi-auto or bolt-action rifles with 5/8-24 muzzle threads. Due to its overlap design, the first 2.75" of the barrel (measured from muzzle back) must be clear of obstructions and no more than .775" in diameter. This adapter functions alone as a high-performance muzzle brake when the suppressor is removed.

Last edited:
With due respect to your trustworthy smith, what specs do you need? Your brake is probably 5/8-24, most muzzle devices .600 in length. That's it.
Barrel has to be turned down for the surefire mb762ssal/re brake to fit over it. That’s all.

With due respect to your trustworthy smith
Uh, yes, he knew it needed to be turned down behind the threads....The question the smith was asking (in addition to what diameter/length to turn down) was the transition: squared 90 degree? Angled (what degree)? Chamferred? Hence asking who might know how to do it right.

I'll start with the folks listed above.

Reactions: Stevo86
IMG_1973.jpeg

I have seen this done incorrectly and the can will not lock on because there wasn't a long enough step done on the barrel.
DW

Reactions: Stevo86
If your smith follows the print above there shouldn't be a problem at all. The M40A5 is Item #3 on the list. It should go without saying but all turning needs to be done in one set up to make sure the threads are running with the .775" diameter.