• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A6 current USMC Scout Sniper rifle UPDATED & PIC HEAVY! specs, photos and build considerations Trigger, finish, barrel etc

TWOMANATTACK

Minuteman
Dec 9, 2010
menifee california
M40A6 PICS added! A handful of people have asked for my opinion on M40A6. I am not a M40A6 Subject Matter Expert but I am fortunate to own them. This review is only my experience. I have not personally seen "EVERY" or "ALL" the USMC M40A6 rifles that the USMC has built. Don't take my experience for doctrine, do your research. This info is what I have physically seen and believe to be the truth. NOT info I "heard from a 2112". The phrase "a 2112 told me" seems to be the norm for validating a usmc sniper rifle claim these days. All this is solely my opinion based on personal experience not hear say (unless otherwise noted below). No 2112 has coached me on this write up. This is purely my opinion based on my own practical experience with this system.

I sourced the parts to complete my BA over a long period of time, arduous and frustrating. I posted some photos but I will not be posting photos of all the components. These parts are incredibly difficult to source. Youtube has 1 video of the A6 from a trusted source. Beyond that be careful what you read online see photos of and accept as gospel. There are some photos out there that show the rifle in configurations and colors that are not USMC spec. Some photos are of test rifles, vendor displays and civilians rifles. Some are posted for personal gain and have no historical significance. Others simply misrepresent the USMC M40A6.

Action
Remington 700 SA (trued & slotted). The new style slotting is not typical as used on M40, M40A1, M40A3 or M40A5. The slot on the A6 is limited to the ejection port relief cut and rear action decking. There are no lug slot cut outs. The chassis does not have lugs that fit down into the receiver as did the optical platform on M40A1, M40A3 and M40A5. The M40A6 rifles that use older M40A3/M40A5 (E, G series) actions will still have the original LUG slotting that will be phased out as those actions get relieved of duty and new ones in service. The new receivers that the Gov't is using are RR series actions. The bolt is marked on the handle and RR serial number actions will have a letter at the end of the serial number.
IMG_6129.JPG

M24 Trigger
The Remington M24 trigger is still being utilized by the USMC on M40A6. There is a photo out there that shows an A6 with a different trigger installed, the reality is that the USMC still uses the M24 trigger on the M40A6.

IMG_6130.JPG

Recoil lug
WEAKEST point point in the system in my opinion. The M40A6 Recoil lug is made in house by the USMC. It is a different geometry than the M40A5 lug. It is not a part that you can buy a replica of and expect it to drop in and have the rifle shoot to its potential. It is longer and does not have a taper. Lug is individually fit to each individual action/barrel. Lug is heavily modified to work with the chassis. Will be problematic to replace. The lug is directional and rests against the chassis then must line up with the circular grove correctly. It is also surface ground, that completely finishes truing the lug. Even lug to barrel contact is crucial. A fixture is used to keep the parts true to the cutter. The bottom is then relieved. There is a very close tolerance requirement and the lug will NOT be .312 at the top or at the bottom once it is ready to install. The part is ground in 1/2 thou increments until it fits correctly. If your builder does not have that capability, find one that does. Some lugs will require more to be ground than others. The USMC builds the lugs in house the builders are able to just grab another lug when one wont work. A sharpie is used to check barrel to lug contact this has to be precise. The USMC precision grinds the lugs (capable of grinding up to 10 lugs at once), the builders do not stress about wasting parts they have plenty and a machine that will make more. The regular guy that has to buy his parts will frown on this if his builder needs more lugs to get this right. The key to M40A6 accuracy rests with the recoil lug, my advise is to have your gun built by someone who has practical experience building this system. Rather than ending up with a really expensive replica that won't perform.

Barrel
The M40A6 barrel is a Schneider 1:10 twist 20" over all including chamber threads and brake threads. PWS-P stamped. It is shorter and has a different twist rate than M40A5, however it is chambered for M118LR ammunition and threaded for a brake.

Brake
Same as M40A5. *all of the USMC A6's I have seen are suppressed*

Stock
Remington Chassis system. Until recently, unique to the USMC for M40A6. Now commercially at a premium cost. I understand that there are a limited amount of stocks available for sale, 78 left for sale as of 20 JUN 2016. Overall the stock is decent, just too many accessories than I am comfortable with.

Rings
LaRue rings unavailable commercially, that may change with the release of the stocks. I have not heard that the rings are coming available, but I have heard the manufacture use the words "not available YET" when asked if they have any to sell. There are some look alike rings available but the USMC part is next to impossible to get. I know of a handful that have been released and are now in private collections. Otherwise difficult to source.

Bipod
same as M40A5

Sling
same as M40A5

Sling Swivels
Same as M40A5

Cosign indicator
Same as M40A5

Metal finish
Same as M40A5 *BLACK OXIDE*

GunBook
Copy of an original stapled together and stamped. This book is kind of thrown together and is no longer spiral bound or with a seam as the originals were.

IMG_6131.jpg

My opinion on M40A6 is that it is a not overly impressive but a capable weapons system. I do think it is easy to pack and conceal when the suppressor is not installed. The weight difference is not substantial enough to justify saying it has an advantage over earlier systems. The Scout Snipers that I know who are currently employing this system tell me they like it. Most of them are young over achievers who have limited experience with other USMC sniper systems. These snipers are proficient and capable with this systems regardless of their previous experience. In all fairness they know all the systems they have been trained on and they seem to love them. Understandable, I am grateful and respect those who are doing gods work with the tools the USMC has provided. I find the system incredibly comfortable when shooting. It has good ergonomics and is a solid platform to shoot from. There have been accuracy issues in the past but like most Remington 700s the weapon is more capable than most shooters ability out of the box. These HIGHLY tuned weapons will likely out perform the enthusiast shooter. I am not a fan of this chassis systems or any other one. They have too many functions for my taste and are easily hung up on other gear. With that said, as far as chassis go, the M40A6 chassis is as good as any if not better. It is a cool looking weapon but mine will surely stay in the safe most of their life as I prefer the earlier weapons systems, particularly M40A1.

Attachments

• IMG_6207.JPG
    IMG_6207.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_6207.JPG
    IMG_6207.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 767
  • IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,391
Last edited:
I spoke to a Remington rep in May. He told me the chassis would run around $6,000 when it became available. It just pissed me off. I lost all respect for the brand.

Not the best picture but this is the one he had on display.

Attachments

• photo59621.jpg
    photo59621.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 399
Reactions: Classyredneck00
" Understandable, I am grateful and respect those who are doing God's work with the tools the USMC has provided them." - twomanattack

Amen.

Thanks for the writeup. I wonder why big green feels their chassis (RACs too) are so much better than others such as the Ax? Seems its a solid setup and less. I also like the Cadex offerings and though steep, much nicer than 6k..... i think that buys an complete Ax rifle and maybe a cold beer.......
thanks again, always appreciate the cool info

Thank you for the informative write-up, always appreciate solid info. Would you be able to comment on a couple more details. What is the barrel length from the front of the recoil lug to the front of the brake? Are they bedding these?

Thank you for the informative write-up, always appreciate solid info. Would you be able to comment on a couple more details. What is the barrel length from the front of the recoil lug to the front of the brake? Are they bedding these?

20" overall chamber end behind the threads to muzzle end in front of the threads. The USMC A6's that I have seen (including mine) are not bedded.

USMC Sniper stocks have been released for sale to the public. SUPER PRICEY in my opinion but if your a collector its a must have. For those of you spending the big $$$ on the Remington RACS M40A6 system, here is a heads up on the recoil lug. The lug when dropped into the stock has caused some accuracy issues. The USMC fits each lug individually. They have built a fixture/tool to individually modify each one. Buying a replica lug won't exactly work. It requires fitting or the accuracy will suffer. Each stock/lug/barrel require modification some more than others. The lug is heavily modified on 2 sides. It is precision ground relived and shortened. I included a photo of a lug once it is finished and ready to be black oxide finished and installed.

I get the "how accurate is your M40A6" question often. Mine is extremely accurate, however mine was built by the experts. Mine is a 1/2 MOA rifle with M118LR ammunition. When you are willing to spend $3600 on a stock, make sure you know what you are getting into. Make sure your builder understands what needs to happen and is competent. Be sure to provide your builder with several lug blanks in case there are issues.

My conversations with the A6 end users make me believe that the USMC rifles are also producing superlative results. HOWEVER, there were a lot of kinks to work out to get these rifles to perform to their full potential. Again, I am no fan of this system and the chassis is extremely over priced in my opinion. The rifle needs incredible amounts of tuning and will be problematic at barrel change time. I wish the M40A6 would just go away (but that's not likely happening).

The M40A6 end users that I communicate make me feel like this systems is delivering superlative results and are happy with it. The attention to detail that the USMC armorers put into this system enable the end user to stay gainfully employed while using this rifle.

If your builder knows this system and is willing to take the time to build this weapon correctly at whatever cost, it can be extremely accurate. If the builder is not experienced in this system, has not made the correct tools, fixture etc, you probably will end up with a not so accurate M40A6 look alike.

Here are the pictures I promised. This gives the viewing public a good idea of what the gun is when its done. I am not dedicating a USMC issued M8541 scope to this gun as I don't plan to use it much, probably not at all. If you have questions and I can help you with your M40A6 project, I will. TEXT, EMAIL or contact me through TheHogsDen.com for fastest response.

This M40A6 is 100 percent USMC SPEC pedigree quality. Has ALL the correct parts and part numbers as used by the USMC. It cannot get any closer to USMC issued to this without purchasing from the DOD.

Bonus is the RR serial numbers are being used on this system, the action has the ejection port relief cut out but no lug slot. RR actions are fairly inexpensive and available. May be worth having one slotted and set on the shelf for a future project. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i68.tinypic.com\/zx0hw5.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i66.tinypic.com\/zk66i9.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i68.tinypic.com\/2enry1v.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i65.tinypic.com\/117hik2.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i63.tinypic.com\/14e6f5t.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited: