• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m70 300 win barrel twist and stock opinions???

SuburbanHick

SOF338
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
somewhere wearing camo (tx?)
im sending out my model 70 LA to get rebarreled (currently 7MM) either by bartelin or er shaw.....the question is im new to the magnum world and need info.... im doing it in 300 win and want to run 180gr+ bullets and dont know what twist to run... this will see more hunting than steel targets... im going with a heavy countour (#4 or M24).....

i just dont see many choices for stocks and too many choices for twist rates....

Re: m70 300 win barrel twist and stock opinions???

A 1-11 twist would stabilize bullets in that range, but you should probably get a 1-10 twist so you can stabilize anything that catches your favor down the road. A 1-10 twist should stabilize a 230 gr Berger Hybrid in freezing temperature so it would have no problem with the 210 gr variety if you decided to do that in the future.

Stocks are a little limited on the Win m70 platform (trust me, I went through that). But all of your major companies cover them. McM, Manners, Bell and Carlson.

If you are looking for wood stocks, you can try Joel Russo (just google his name), accuracy innovations, or a few others out there I could dig out of my bookmarks list if you need.

I went with Joel Russo, he made an McM A3 out of plain jane walnut for me. Very much a fan of his work.

after calling around.... the only real tactical stocks are hs....manners and mcmillan.... and the only company to offer a military discount is mcmillan....if that didnt set it apart and make the decision easy, its a 20% discount

now when it come to barrels ...bartlein is at 4-5 weeks and about $600 barrel included+ shipping..... er shaw is at 3-4 months at half that price... now the question is how much difference is there between a er shaw and bartlein?

and the last thought is 300 win or 300 rum.... i dont want a barrel burner, but how can you ignore the velocity numbers it puts out?!?!!?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 230grRN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with a Bartlein 1-10 twist and don't look back! </div></div>

+1

You might contact Bugholes (here, on the hide) and see what barrels he has in stock with the contour you want and 1-10 twist.