• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m80 accuracy

Re: m80 accuracy

M80 is not known for being top flight ammo but rest assured you can keep them in the back of a double decker bus at 600 yards.

Seriously though you are likely to get about 24 to 30" groups at 600.

M118 Match 173 gr. is 3.5" mean radius at 600 and I think the M80 is like 8" mean radius. I can't lay my hands on my Frankford Arsenal Ammo handbook right now but it is big.

Tracer is like 12" mean radius. Extreme spread in velocity for both suck big time as well. Acceptance on M14 was 5.5" at 100 yards so you can figure 30" or more at 600.

There was a Canadian lot of M80 made during Nam which was quite good. I knew a guy who had a couple cases of it 30 years ago and I saw him shoot cleans with it at 300 rapid fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anyone think they would shoot MOA?</div></div>

"think"

Okay, I think they might go MOA if you sort them by weight, each batch with a spread of 0.3 grains, AND you sort them by appearance of how the lead fills the base where the jacket rolls over at the base of the boat-tail.

What's your time worth?

More time than money? Knock yourself out and return and report.

Understand that military ball ammo is not intended to provide pinpoint accuracy, but rather as a means of providing a broad base of supporting fire. Accuracy better than 2MOA is actually counter to maneuver warfare doctrine.

Trying to use a bullet for an accuracy requirement that it was never intended to meet is probably a fun exercise, but is also likely to result in mucho frustration.

Individual target accuracy demands a bullet with better conformance to standards than military ball ammo bullets can ever be expected to provide.

Greg

I may be wrong. But I think the mil standard for standard ball ammo is 3" at 100 yards. If you get less than that I would suprised.

I tried many load combos with Hornady 150gr FMJs, and they sucked in every way. Bought them bulk from Midway. I'm Stuck with 3k of them, so I use them for supersonic spray ammo out of the .300 Whisper SBR. I was looking for a good & cheap projo for the AR10 carbine, the lighter bullets have always grouped well in that gun.