• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M82A1 50

oubeta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2003
Edmond, Oklahoma
Going to order a Barrett M82A1. I can't decide if I want the 20" or 29" barrel. Probably not gong to shoot it a while lot as the range nazis banned 50 cals at my local shooting range. Mainly just buying it to have as I'm thinking the gun grabbers will find a way to outlaw them in the near future. When I do shoot it I'd probably like to stretch it out just for fun. Does the 20" barrel really cut the nuts off a fifty?

Re: M82A1 50

Hmmmmm a tactical .50 with a 20" barrel for room clearing, ah yes I can see it now.

The hottest new rifle to hit the market this year is the Barret .50cal 20" tactical model, just mount up a T-1 in a 45deg mount & room clearing is now a breeze for the sniper in your squad.

As you can tell by the above statement, I personally would recomend you get the long barrel.

If I were getting a 50 I would at least get one that was known for its accuracy. The beast will get it out there, but I think there are better options for .50

much better options for a .50.

Great if your needs are anti-material with high volume of fire capable

I have and would recommend the 29"

It's not terribly accurate (about 2-3 MOA), but rapid fire is fun for shits and giggles. The Tac-50 would be a better option for accuracy for the same price.

I have never looked into a 50 so I know very little about them.
It makes sense you would want the 29".
I didn't know the M82's were that inaccurate.
Can you shoot surplus ammo out of the Tac-50?
Some of the chambers are to tight to shoot the cheap stuff. I have a ton of linked ball ammo I bought a few years back. Probably not the most accurate stuff, but it was $1.33 a round.
I"m also looking for something that will hold it's value. I'm thinking the M82 would be a good bet.

Well shit, if you're just spending the jack to have it, I'll troll all the boards for half the cost and talk about how bad ass your .50 is. Save's you money and gains notoriety!

I'll play devil's advocate:

My friend has the standard barrel and wants the shorter one now. It's a platform that's ok for tearing the frack out of a target with semiauto semi-precision fire.

It's not a sniper rifle even though some of the snipers use it. Get a 50BMG boltgun for that if you are trying to hit targets at 1500 meters plus.

For just blasting something like a car, meth lab or hogs on your hay field with a semiauto, the shorter barrel should be ok. I think any patrol leader would be just happy with the shorter version placed on his support position on a raid. Ought to chew up bunkers and vehicles. I doubt your muzzle energy will be overly diminished in terms of damage.

hi im a owner of a barrett m107 50 cal trust me you will want to get the 29 " version the accurcey of the barret not near as good on the shorter version the longer one will give you greater results and im hope your happy with your new barrett i am madly inlove with mine

Most of the guys already said it, but I'll give you my take. If you're going to be packing it assembled through the bush, get the short barrel. If not, go long. The concussion from the muzzle brake is a bitch as it is, and I don't like it any closer to me than necessary.

I would not be purchasing a M82 for ELR, as there are much better options for lower cost. I shoot the M99 and while it's not pretty, it gets the job done very well.

I am going to say the opposite and say if you want accuracy then you want the 20" version. Anyone that has shot both will tell you the 20" is more accurate. The design of the barrel that reciprocates causes movement and the shorter barrel definitely has less movement. The 20" also is lighter and easier to carry and transport since it does not have to come apart to be placed in a Pelican case. Call Lin at Schryver Gun sales; he is a guru of 50BMG and owns them all and he will tell you that he prefers the 20". Also the 20" is chrome lined since it was designed for Coast Guard vs the 29" which is not so more chance of corrosion.

The only thing the 29" has going for it is it will be 250ft/sec faster than 20" which extends your reach but the 20" is good for up to 1600 yards all day so do you really need more than that?

I have also read that the 20" version is more accurate. I thought it was an isolated case, but the more I read I think it's the norm.
I might look at another platform, but there is just something about a semi fifty.
I wasn't aware that they were that inaccurate. I"m sure the ammo plays a big part in it. The chamber isn't a match chamber as it has to fire all sorts of 50cal ammo.
I know on some bolt guns you can get a match chamber, but it won't shoot all surplus ammo.

There is a new semiauto by serbu. I think its around $6k (+/-). Might be worth looking at.

I have the single shot Serbu BFG50 and it will clover leaf AMAX at 100 yards. IT shoots 1.5 moa with API.

I shoot it much better than my bud shoots his M82, but that could just be the two knuckleheads behind the guns.

Go Pokes!!!!!!!

Supposedly the new version, Barrett's M107a1, is suppose to be more accurate. By how much, I don't know, but it's probably worth a look. It does cost more money though.

Just some food for thought.