• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M84 scopes manufacturers

rojo

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
Hi , can someone tell me who made the M84 scopes ??
I have two different ones in my cillection , but who made which ???

Re: M84 scopes manufacturers

howdy , how does one determine if your scope is a LOF ???

There should be a plate on the right side that says:

Telescope
M84
Serial No. xxxxx

Do you have a picture of what you have?

howdy well I have two , just do not know who made which one , will try to take some pics tomorrow, many thanks, rojo

here we go towo pictures ??
who made who ??

630holster010.jpg

630holster011.jpg

hi reslly odd , well my secomd 84 the one not on the rifle came from the CMP . would like to know who made which one , many thanks, rojo

April 1945 is most frequently given as the date the M84 first came into service.

There's a very brief article on the Fulton Armory site by Bruce Jackson about M84.

To save you the bother of reading it yourself, the key info it gives is:

<span style="font-style: italic">"Peter Senich provided the most detailed information on these scopes that I have found in his book LIMITED WAR SNIPING, Paladin Press, 1977."</span>

and:

<span style="font-style: italic">"An additional source of information on the M1D/M84 is the book, THE LONG RANGE WAR: SNIPING IN VIETNAM by Peter Senich, 1994. In chapter 1 he goes into some detail on the build up of U.S. military activity in the 60's and their reliance on the M1D. Very detailed information with excellent black and white photo's showing details of the various rifle/scope combinations in development are included.. As to the number of M84 scopes produced, the only hint I could locate was in a photo credit Senich gives on page 19, "....with a total of well over 40,000 M84 telescopic sights manufactured before production finally ended, and with the U.S. policy of "surplus disposal" such as it is, this 2.2 power scope will undoubtedly remain in service someplace on this globe for years to come." </span>

In the absence of anyone here having details on Libby-Owens-Ford annual production by serial number/by year, looks like tracking down these books could be a good place to start?