• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M85 and/or M86 info needed

slothlacrosse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
CENTCOM
i know that one was made by parker hale and the other was made by the now defunct harris gunworks, but i want one (or both).

since i'll probably never find one (and i had a chance to buy an M85 but didn't have the $$$ at the time), i'll have to resort to building one.

the only info i've found is on the optics and stocks both weapons utilized. i can't find much on barrel lengths/contours, actions, bottom metal, etc.

i heard that the M85 uses the same action as the P-H 1200 series of rifles, but haven't found anything to really back that up.

if i have to, i guess the parker action most closely resembles a mauser action and i could build off of one of those.

perhaps my google fu is weak, or maybe i'm just tired of reading the same things on the internet.

Re: M85 and/or M86 info needed

somebody has to know something about these rifles!

it'll be worth the 5 seconds you spend on google trying to find something i don't know.

i promise there will be pictures of one of these rifles in the future!

For info on the Parker Hale rifles you might wanna take a look on snipercentral , the Parker Hale rifles and clones has been discussed quite allot there.

I own(ed) a G. McMillan M-86 based on their "Signature" action. G. McMillan became Harris/McMillan Gunworks, and then became just Harris Gunworks, then they went out of business.

The M-86 I bought was in what they called a "McHale" fiberglass stock. The Signature action is basically a M-700 with a Sako-style extractor. I ordered it in .300 Weatherby with a 26" barrel and their tactical muzzle brake. A three round hinged floor plate magazine fed the action. The rifle shot superbly well for the first 300-400 rounds. By that time, the barrel was getting some free-bore. By 650 rounds, the barrel was ruined. It sits in parts now, waiting to become a .257 Weatherby and a non-tactical lifestyle.

They also offered the M-86 in what they called the "Talon" action. Basically, a Mauser or M-70 style receiver with non-rotating claw extractor. I still have their original catalog / literature somewhere in my files from 1992, 1993 , and 1994.

Hope this helps shed some light.

Does this help

http://www.normanclark.com/opening_page/opening_page.htm

I have been told that Norman Clark was the senior gunsmith at Parker Hale when they closed and knows everything you need to know about the rifle. I know 2 people who have these rifles and have shot three in my time. The two people who I know who have them bought them from Norman after being on his waiting list.

All good things come to those that wait

Here is one for sale on gunbroker with a lot of pics:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239755148

My old agency used a McMillan M86. It was a very nice rifle. It was chambered in .308. It had a 24" barrel with a recessed target crown, like is found on the M40A1. The action was the McMillan Signature action. As mentioned it was based on a 700 floor plate. My rifle had BDL type bottom metal, I don't know who made it, but it didn't look beefy. My rifle had an adjustable buttplate, but it wasn't offered on the McHale when I ordered my stock years later.

I built a M86 inspired rifle a couple years ago. I like it better than the original. It has a Stiller Tac 30 action. 24" Rock cut rifled barrel,threaded,and melonited. A Timney trigger, It currently has PTG bottom metal but that will probably change all in a McMillan McHale stock.
DesertMcHale.jpg

Tab.jpg

Here is a link to some information..not much on Sniper Central
http://www.snipercentral.com/m86.htm

Wikipedia has a nice article on them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M86_sniper_rifle

Another write up on them. The article is ok, but none of the pictures it attributes to be a M86 are, it shows one picture of a M24 and two of a M40A3, so I would take anything in it with a grain of salt.
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=172

180317_1833232994366_1346667478_2042063_3223817_n.jpg

In their day they were cutting edge. I think you can see the ancestry of the M40A3 in the M86. I really like the McHale stock. I wish it had an adjustable comb, but its a very comfortable and stable stock to shoot. I am not really sure what more you want to know about the rifle. You could always call McMillan. I am sure they could give you all the specs you need. I hope that helps.

-DW

I was issued an M86 a long, long time ago when the previous owner was KIA. The McHale stock was a gay Navy Blue/grey/white swirl but fit nicely.

It had a Leupold M1-16X and shot very, very tight groups with issued Hornady and Federal 168s.

sinister said:
The McHale stock was a gay Navy Blue/grey/white swirl but fit nicely.

i was thinking about the pink/purple/white swirl!

thanks for the info guys. unless an M85 comes up for sale somewhere, i don't i'll be happy with a clone.

however, an FN action and a kreiger barrel in a McHale stock sounds like a very good idea.

I have an M-86SR that I bought in 88 from McMillian. The M-86SR was .308 and the M-86LR was .300 Win Mag. Looks like the rifle Driftwood posted, but with a Parker Hale bipod. It came with the Leopold Ultra 16x and it was a revelation to shoot at the time, no factory rifle came close; it could shoot under .25 with hand loads.

For a while I had a standing offer: the tightest five rounds would take the other guys rifle. I still have my rifle.

I haven't seen one, but Parker Hale actually made a M86 as well. Numrich is selling M86 receivers for 109 beans on Gunbroker right now.

The PH M85 receiver is nothing at all like the round PH 1200 receiver. It is a square receiver that has an intergral rear flip up peep sight. I can get some more pictures when I get home, but here is one pic of one of my M85's.

m85.jpg

The bottom metal is also completely unique to the Parker Hale M85. There is nothing on the market that is anywhere near it, and it uses M14/M1a mags.

If you are interested in an authentic PH M85, Norman Clark is currently selling three of the prototypes for the M85 program, and they cost about 12.5K each. They probably aren't exactly like the M85s after the project was finalized, but definitely very interesting pieces of modern rifle history.(To me anyways....)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but here is one pic of one of my M85's.

</div></div>

one of your M85's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrp3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but here is one pic of one of my M85's.

</div></div>

one of your M85's? </div></div>

I have two of them.

The M85 action is like no other Parker Hale action , even thou the M86 & M87 seem like the numbers and models would be close , its not the case .

Later Chris