• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M855 A1 for Home Defense — Good or bad?

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    Thinking about swapping my suppressed SP5K with my suppressed Tavor for bedside HD rifle. We’re out in cow country and I’m seriously concerned with the what I’m seeing in the news about large packs of coyotes arming themselves and taking revenge on the farmers who have tried to exterminate them for years. Shoe’s on the other foot. The hunters are now the hunted.

Anywho... I just received an ammo can filled with 1,000 rounds of factory fresh M855 A1 (pricey stuff). Should I be concerned with over-penetration? Would it make a good HD round or are there penetration issues? Should I just stick with the HK 9mm?

8616788A-98CC-4E5C-9667-F42DD3986687.jpeg

D20A9BBF-8626-47B3-A75B-F443EF00720D.jpeg

im always a fan of more penetration.

good if you have a perp behind a wall or a door.

relying on ANY round not to over penetrate to keep loved ones safe is asking for trouble.....if you cant take a shot with a laser beam, you cant take a shot with a hollow point.

I was being stupid one day and thought I would shoot at an old engine block, buried in the weeds on a buddy's property, about 55-60 yards away, guess what? That round penetrated and not through a freeze plug either. Ymmv. Mac:oops:

It’s OK. My house is drywalled entirely with AR500. :p

Uhhhh how thick? I have watched m855 punch through 1/4" and almost go through 3/8 at 75 yards...pretty sure at 25 and under it would go through both

Reactions: TheHorta
    Any round is better than begging for mercy!!
    A local man shot through his wood front door as three yutes were trying to gain access. One yute had an AR and the other two had hand guns.
    Two dead in the front yard and one went to the hospital for a while before he started a long prison sentence.
    Weapon used by the homeowner?? A 22LR pistol.

If you don't have to worry about loved ones in another room, and are way away from other houses...

...overpen away my friend!

Seriously, I'm ~45 minutes absolute minimum for a police response. I want some of the most brutal shit available because wounded dudes are still dangerous dudes...get rid of the 9mm as your primary.

I'm probably 'overkill' with what I have loaded and ready to go, but in the same breath I'll say that there is no such thing as overkill when you solely have to rely on yourself.

Is M855 Mil or MOA ? Askin for a friend .
    And it is quite effect8ve ammo " if you do you're part ".

Thinking about swapping my suppressed SP5K with my suppressed Tavor for bedside HD rifle. We’re out in cow country and I’m seriously concerned with the what I’m seeing in the news about large packs of coyotes arming themselves and taking revenge on the farmers who have tried to exterminate them for years. Shoe’s on the other foot. The hunters are now the hunted.

Anywho... I just received an ammo can filled with 1,000 rounds of factory fresh M855 A1 (pricey stuff). Should I be concerned with over-penetration? Would it make a good HD round or are there penetration issues? Should I just stick with the HK 9mm?

View attachment 7372088
    View attachment 7372090
    Serious question...
    Do you have confirmation of a coyote defense force (CDF) Armored Division...
    If yes, we may be in trouble out at our place!

I use 62 GD for all of my ‘yote/hog hunting. Very effective. Very consistent.

I've got over 2K of the older 64gr GD on hand. Pretty accurate in everything I've put it through. Only shot four shoats with it the other day, but the results were impressive.

My HD rifle has 55gr GD in it right now. I do have kids on the other side of the house.

Even at a couple hunnert yards....

Nah... I poked a few rounds into a 3/8” AR500 plate at 100 yards on my range. Made a nice divot, but didn’t come close to penetration. I didn’t try at 50 yards. I’m pretty sure it would penetrate.

Original Green Tip does almost nuttin’ by comparison.

One thing you are missing is that those rounds are VERY hard on your barrel extensions.
    It does kill shit pretty good.
    I'm a big fan of a 10.5" 300 BO for shit like that.
    Loaded with 110 v max, they are quite the "fuck shit up" kinda thing.

For the love of ITAR, please tell me all the capabilities of A1? Why does it have the strange crimping?

Nah... I poked a few rounds into a 3/8” AR500 plate at 100 yards on my range. Made a nice divot, but didn’t come close to penetration. I didn’t try at 50 yards. I’m pretty sure it would penetrate.

Original Green Tip does almost nuttin’ by comparison.
    Careful shooting ammo w/ a penetrator at steel. If it doesn't go through, it bounces off.

Careful shooting ammo w/ a penetrator at steel. If it doesn't go through, it bounces off.

Yeah, all of my plates are canted forward a bit to help deflect ricochets downward. Found the deformed steel cores a little in front of the plates.

They have revised magazines to change the angle of the round to the barrel extension feed ramps. It's a tan aluminum mag with a blue follower. I think the new Magpul Gen 3 mags also have the revision.

Good to know about the G3 Pmags. I have 20-ish brand new in the plastic that I've been saving for a rainy day. I wonder if the Daniel Defense mags qualify as well?

The EPR is probably the single most effective bullet for the AR, with the exception of auto glass where it’s prefragged.

I've shot about a dozen hogs with Mk 318 Mod 0 out of a 16" barrel. If it hits bone, I wasnt getting full penetration on 150lb hogs...which are much tougher than humans. I would still expect a pass through on an average human torso if you didn't connect with the spine though.

I did drop several big'uns with single shots, and the bullet was definitely reaching vitals even after going through an inch of shield. But it wasn't quite the hammer of Thor I was hoping for, so I switched to 6.8.

I'd love to see the results of someone taking 100 rounds of M855A1 out into the hog fields. Or, if someone is willing to sponsor me...LOL.