• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing machining a giant scope ring for my spotting scope

rawdeal77

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Dallas & Lubbock, Tx
I have two pieces of equipment that I'd like to use together: 1) a 70mm Leica Televid spottings cope; and 2) a Laser Genetics ND 3x50 light. No need to explain the function of the spotting scope. The light is basically like a "poor man's" night vision, which casts a focusable diffused laser beam upto a mile. When the scope is aligned with the light, and the beam is focused to the FOV of the scope, it will effectively turn my Televid into a 20-60x night vision spotting scope that is good out to around 600yds.

The obvious issue is getting the light and the scope to track in tandem, which requires them to be affixed to one another. The light has its own ring mount that can be attached to picattinny. The best solution I can come up with is use a giant ring around the scope objective with a small picatinny rail for the light to attach.

Any idea where I could find a machinist that can do such work?

Or any suggestions for affixing a piece of picatinny to the top of the scope, without drilling into it?

Obviously, the rig doesn't need to stand up to recoil.

Re: machining a giant scope ring for my spotting scope

zip ties and duck tape should get you going
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.rolen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">zip ties and duck tape should get you going
grin.gif
</div></div>

Actually, now that you mentioned it, a thick, taught zip tie might actually work.

LOL.

As a more permanent fix, I did find these ADM guide scope rings, that I think will work- http://admaccessories.com/MDS_ring_set.htm

Anyone ever used/heard of these guys?

they dont have to be attached together to track together, they only have to be attached to the mechanism that moves. just keep that in mind when trying to find the solution to you problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mehem. . . </div></div>

LMAO.

Chad is a freak. Have him do it.

How about a large hose clamp. Cut a groove in your rail the width of the clamp and attach.

In line with what SingleShot was saying, you could do the following. Get a piece of metal/wood maybe 1 inch by 6 inches or so (wide enough so that both items fit side by side). Tap the bottom such that you can attach it to a tripod head. Then drill a hole on each side, and screw in a ball head, one on each side. The scope goes on one, and figure out a way to afix the light on the other. Line them up once, then lock down the two ball heads. Pop that unit on a tripod with another head, and you should be good to go. My imagination far outstrips my technical abilities, so good luck on that front.

You can get ball heads for pretty cheap, that should work well enough for your application. Look at bhphoto.com.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsaps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a large hose clamp. Cut a groove in your rail the width of the clamp and attach. </div></div>

This, plenty of High Power folks attach scopes to stands this way

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsaps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a large hose clamp. Cut a groove in your rail the width of the clamp and attach. </div></div>

This, plenty of High Power folks attach scopes to stands this way </div></div>

Yes you could do that... In fact my Unertl spotting scope has been attached to a Freelands stand for 30 years like that... But it looks like shit and finally I replaced it this year with a Swarovski, but I digress.

You dropped good coin on the scope and light. Take both to a local machine shop, wherever you are, and explain what you want. about $100 later, made from aluminum, held together by three machine screws and shaped like a figure eight split vertically...

You get the idea. No need for a gunsmith, just any good shop.

PM if you want some shop contacts

Here's what I came up with:

This is an aluminum 125mm ring used for mounting various devices to a telescope sold by ADM Accessories: http://admaccessories.com/Miscellaneous_Adjustable_Rings.htm. Note-the rings included the spacers like you see in the pic.

I tapped 1/4x20 threads into some old piece of weaver mount I had laying around to match the threads pre-drilled into the rings, and bolted the whole thing together. I still need to cut the bolt down to make everything nice and snug, but you get the idea. I may dremel out a channel in the spacer to ensure the amount will hold the light paralel to the scope with the weaver rail, but only if it doesn't work as is.

As you may know, the mount that came with the light has windage and elevation adjustments, but I may need to loose the space if I find the light is mounted too high.

The rings were sold in pairs ($70+ shipping), so I have an extra. If anyone is interested in the second one, make me a fair offer and it's yours.

photo3-5.jpg

photo2-6.jpg

photo1-8.jpg

Any machinist should be able to make a 1/4" thick, or so, sheet with two holes bored out to the right diameter that was cut in half to "clamp the two into. Would take MAYBE an hour on a manual machine