• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Made a rear bag...

greentick

chancremechanic
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2021
Deep South
Respectfully submitted for shits, grins, and general entertainment. Spent a couple hours on this today. A lightweight rear bag. Turned out 'bout how I expected.

I will say this to anyone who has looked at some of the nice offerings seen on this very site and paused/cringed at the price. There is a fair amount of labor involved in one of these. Unless they're outsourced to a huighur concentration camp, anything of this sort that's made in the US is probably fairly priced. My hat's off to any cottage industry manufacturers who see this.

A fun experiment on an afternoon off.

20210526_194634.jpg

That looks great. Thanks for sharing. Did you design off an existing product or just wing it?

I've stitched some together myself. This is actually my second rear bag. The first one lasted me about 8 years before the seams blew out. They can take a bit of time to fab from scratch, but if you plan ahead you can streamline production.

Sewing.jpg

Camera kind of washed out the color, but it's more a charcoal grey in person.

That looks great. Thanks for sharing. Did you design off an existing product or just wing it?

I've stitched some together myself. This is actually my second rear bag. The first one lasted me about 8 years before the seams blew out. They can take a bit of time to fab from scratch, but if you plan ahead you can streamline production.

Sewing.jpg

What did you make that suppressor cover out of?

Double layer of canvas, with a thin sheet of PTFE and "heavy duty" aluminum foil quilted together. I didn't trust any other synthetic materials (besides Kevlar $$$) not to melt and stick. Intended for bolt-gun operation only. No 10" AR mag dumps. Really only intended to keep the mirage down between shot strings.

Reactions: greentick
What did you use for filler?
This stuff

Total project weight was 3.5oz

Reactions: sinister

Sewing.jpg

Design based on beating the old sock filled with beans.

Looked a few pics on this site and wanted a roughly something 4"x6"x8" dimensions.

This was just fooling around. I had bought the materials for a project I never did, just wanted to do it and I needed a rear bag to replace the old sock. The name tapes came off of old BDUs. If I do a rev 2, I think I'd make the ends oval shaped to avoid sewing corners and speed up completion.

I need a suppressor cover but I believe I'll pass on that project. I like your use of available material...

Design based on beating the old sock filled with beans.
That's pretty much how I got mine sorted out. I eventually found some of that injection moulding poly bead material and swapped out the beans, mostly because it was lighter and not likely to rot/germinate if I got caught in the rain.

Reactions: greentick