• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Made in USA binoculars?

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Been sniffing around for a set, looking to spend no more than $200. Mostly bird watching, and sporting events, which may or may not include wet t-shirt contests. I recall reading that Burris, or maybe Bushnell is homegrown? Anyone have some inside info on this dilemma? Thanks.

Doug

Re: Made in USA binoculars?

I thought that the high end Burris binoculars were made here but after looking at their catalog I don't think they offer binoculars at all now. As for Bushnell, I don't think they actually manufacture anything here. I think the closest thing to "homegrown" would be something assembled here. I know the Zeiss Conquest rifle scopes are assembled here by Meopta. So I would look at those two, but I don't think that is going to meet your $200 budget.

Unfortunately I think you'll be out of luck on this one. If you want some good cheaper binos take a look at the bushnell power view. I kept my issued ones from the Army when I got out costs me about 50 bucks. They are excellent quality though, and the fast focus paddle is very nice. Then save up and wait to find a US made set, but you may have to buy used, even ancient to get a set. Good luck though and if you do run across a pair please share with everyone here. I'm all about buying American, but it just keeps getting harder and harder to do it these days.

For all practical purposes there are NO USA made bino's and hasnt been for a number of years. Leupold Golden rings SAY assembled in USA on them and that is probably as close as you will get.

The other thing is that if you are only willing to spend $200 you are going to be limited to products that are made in China and unfortunately that is just a fact.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">these leupolds are in your price range

BX-2 Acadia® Roof Prism
</div></div>

I doubt they are made in the US

I've seen a few Fujinon binoculars with "made in the USA" on them. Most were military M22's and M24's but I do know of a commercial 7x50 binocular. I've been told that a neckstrap can be put on one and be "made" in the USA but I imagine that there is more to it than that. The parts are likely imported and assembled here to be Berry Compliant but I have no idea.

I know most new Leupold binoculars have little made in China stickers on them.

check out vortex, they have some nice stuff right in your price range. i'm sad to say a product just has to have 60% us made components to be marked made in the U.S., and there isn't any lens glass production going on in the U.S. currently, at least not in large scale.

My apologizes members as I forgot about this query. I wound up going with Bushnell. Excursion 8X36. These are a really nice set. Came with a hard case that has a shoulder strap. The binos also have a real nice padded neck strap and some lens covers. I plan to replace the objective covers with some Butler Creeks. They are rubber coated and waterproof. The glass is crisp and clear and more than enough for bird watching in my back yard and in the woods. I spent $135.00 @ opticsplanet with a coupon I had received from a previous order....blah...blah...blah...while they may not be up to snuff for some members who place more than bird identification on their list, I give them 4 out of 5 stars. Imported. No 5th star. Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

Sad isn't it. I know of none made in the US either. If you go foreign, the ZenRay's offer a lot for the money as do Vortex.