• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Made up my mind===Help me pick a 1911

usmc7980

Sarge
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Springfield MO USA
I'm looking to spend about $800, now with that out of the way I have only 3 stipulations, I have come up with a Para (really like this gun) but have seen others that I have not been able to handle for one reason or another. They are the STI Spartan, Auto-Ordnance Thompson, S&W and a Springfield
Here are my requirements if you care
wink.gif

1-Must be 45 ACP
2-Must have a beavertail grip safety
3-Must have a flat mainspring housing

Re: Help me pick a 1911

Can always build up a Springfield (loaded is a good start) into a nice custom.

I'm looking for something I don't have to do any work to. It won't be a primary carry gun I just want to have a good quality 1911. The Para I can get local and lay my hands on before I buy it but the others I would be buying sight unseen and that makes me a little uneasy

Kimber has always been off the list. I went to LFI with and several people were having issues with Kimbers. I seem to hear more negative than positive plus I couldn't afford one

I also looked at a Taurus and I liked the fell but I want to shoot it first. I have a Judge and love it but have always heard their autos seem to be iffy

The new kimbers are hit or miss... I know 5+ people locally with either Pro Carry II or Ultra Carry II and never had a problem.

Now out of the ones you listed, I'll go STI first followed by Springfield.

drake

For that price, I don't think you can beat a S&W in terms of quality. I have both a stainless fullsize and a Gunsite edition. You can find a Gunsite edition for around the price you're talking, but it's more of a carry weapon than a shooter I'd say.

Side by side, I'm far more impressed with the S&W fit and finish compared to the Springfield, and mine stainless fullsize has functioned exceptionally well in terms of reliability and accuracy. Plus, it has the features you're looking for - flat mainspring housing, beavertail and obviously .45.

FWIW I think they're the best value in an out-of-the-box 1911 for the price we're talking here.

I have a kimber TLE and its a great shooter with zero feeding or ejection problems. A buddy of mine bought a taurus pt/1911 and its shoots nearly as good as my kimber but its $3-400 cheaper. I am not sure how the finish will hold up with constant re-holstering. If that became a problem you could always have it refinished. For the price the taurus is pretty hard to beat.

+1 for STI's fire control components.

I'd pick the STI followed by the Springfield. For the price range the Spartan is a great deal. For another $100 you could get the STI Trojan which has a STI frame, slide, and barrel.

Used to have a Sprinfield Armory Loaded in SS. Bought it for substantially less than your budget price. Damn accurate and very much has all the up grade features. I don't think they make that model any more. They have the Operator model I believe. I would check into Spingfield. I never had good luck with Kimber, so I told myself that I would never buy a Kimber again (handgun or anything else - JMHO)

I've had Good luck with Kimbers, Colts and Dan Wessons,I had 2 Para's and their the only 2 1911s I got rid of and I havent looked back..

Springfield is good and I've heard good reports on the STI. However, my next 1911 will be a S&W. I now know half a dozen friends who have various SW1911s and every one of them raves about how much they like it. As soon as the Compact ES model comes out I'm picking one up. It looked great at SHOT.

I have been very pleased with my Springfield TRP. I replaced the FLGR with Ed Brown USGI recoil plug and guide and grips. Runs just fine.

Cut

I think the majority of all 1911's are okay. Get a 1911 that you can afford. I would lean torwards a Springfield,Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Para, Taurus,STI and shoot it and keep it clean and sparingly oiled with Mobil one Synthetic and shoot. If you have any feeding issues, replace recoil spring with a wilson combat 2 spring kit ( One for hot loads,the other for standard loads). Use Wilson combat 8rd mags for reliable feeding. If you have any extraction problems you can lightly bend the extractor ( Thats what the Marines taught me) in order to give it more tension. Most of the complaints on the 1911's are reliable feeding problems which almost always can be overcome with some tuning, usually good mags that don't cant and have the correct angle for reliable feeding and recoil springs that help in timing (making everything cycle when it should). Most people blame a certain brand because their particular 1911 isn't working like a ROLEX. Their 1911 just sometimes needs alittle loving in the right way. SmokeRolls

<span style="font-weight: bold">Dan Wesson</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Made in America</span></span> <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">With ED BROWN and STI Parts</span></span>

Isn't Springfield made in Croatia now???

Daw Wesson Pics

I love my Springfield Loaded in SS, but I think the best value is the Taurus. I would like to sell mine and get a Taurus with a rail.

Baer-- old school blaster-- My Thunder Ranch eats anything I give it.. more than I can say for my Nighthawk. Polished steel and sex appeal.

smile.gif

Core

Dan Wesson is probably the most gun for your buck 1911 out there. I love mine and carry it daily.

Ya'll don't hate me but I bought the Para SSP Gun Right, I shot the thing and had no problems in 200 rounds at the range. It really is a nice gun and I got some money knocked off the price because the mainspring housing had a marred spot in the checkering. I'm going to put an Ed Brown mainspring housing and magwell on it so I didn't really care but they offered so I said why not. The only thing I'm doing is having the shop smith tune the trigger pull. I'm going to pick it up Thursday, so pictures will come soon. If I ever get my lazy butt back to the range I'll have some dead paper to show off

I have owned several and by far, the best bang for my buck came from my Dan Wesson. I got it used at a gun show here in town and have been very happy with it.

Brock

Not a bad choice. I've owned several and haven't had any problems. They were all LDA's though. I currently have a P14 Nite-Tac LDA.

With that budget i'd try to pick up a used Dan Wesson Bobtail or a Springfield Operator. As others have said, you could pick up a Springfield Mil-spec and then convert the mainspring housing with whatever you want. (Mil-spec comes with an arched housing, Operator with Flat housing.) I have an operator and mil-spec and love both. Now i'm drooling over the Bobtail. Either one is sweet. I like Springfield because they did not modify the 1911 design to have the disconnect in the slide but instead simply installed a titanium firing pin. Keeps it simpler. Not sure what Dan Wesson did, check it out.

Matthew

How can I only be the second guy to recommend a Colt?

Not only should you get a Colt, you should upgrade from 45ACP and get a Delta Elite. You can get a nice used one on Gunbroker for about $800 now... the re-release seems to have depressed prices a little, so now's your perfect opportunity!

For the money my vote is the Kimber. I own a pro carry 2 and 2 TLEs and would highly recommend them and service is excellent.
Personally I'd save my money and wait and buy a Les Baer. I have the tack driving Thunder Ranch full sized without front serrations but I prefer and regularly carry the Les Baer Concept VIII commander. Tough to beat a Baer. Its hands down better than my Wilson CQB.

I've had full-custom Colt's, Ed Browns, etc. To date, I've been happiest with these Springers:
pair.jpg

I made a new thread for these but this one keeps coming back so I'm posting here too. I got my first 1911's one is a Para Ordnance Gun Rights and the other is a Frankengun. The Frankengun is a Caspian frame with a Colt series 70 slide and a C-more red dot sight and compensator
100_0279.jpg

100_0286.jpg

Older Kimber if you can find one , but definitely stay away from the one's with the external extractor!!!!

I love me a Sig but prefer traditional lines on a 1911. I think my next gun will be the Sig 250 but that is a different story
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nobody likes the sig's? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had full-custom Colt's, Ed Browns, etc. To date, I've been happiest with these Springers:
pair.jpg
</div></div>

Fancy blasters. Nice.