• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Made up my mind===Help me pick a 1911

Re: Help me pick a 1911

what ever someone chooses, upgrade to some nice mags. like wilson combat. if someone wants some, i have three new 8rds. for sale.

I picked up a Taurus pt1911ss in mid-February and have been nothing but impressed. I replaced the sights and the grips but everything else is bone stock and I have had zero malfunctions in 600 rounds or so. It will eat anything I feed it without hesitation. The best part is that it was about $600 bucks, which leaves a bit of scratch for ammo.(if you can find it)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whiskey_tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a Taurus pt1911ss in mid-February and have been nothing but impressed. I replaced the sights and the grips but everything else is bone stock and I have had zero malfunctions in 600 rounds or so. It will eat anything I feed it without hesitation. The best part is that it was about $600 bucks, which leaves a bit of scratch for ammo.(if you can find it) </div></div>

If you ever spent any time behind a nicer 1911, you'd quickly realize what a piece of junk the Taurus really is. It does have a lot of features, but the trigger is horrible and the fit is worse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet another vote for Springfield (and against Kimber). </div></div>

I can't believe anyone would say this. I do not have any newer Kimbers (and I probably wouldn't buy one) but every Springfield I have ever seen was fit like shit, even compared to the newer Kimbers.

If you guys don't believe me, just go to the store and take a look at the slide to frame fit of a Springfield next to another brand of 1911.

Both of my Kimbers are 100% made in USA, and the difference in quality is immediately apparent. America might not manufacture anything anymore, but I really think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who makes a better 1911 than we do.

My experience with Para has been negative as well, but I would consider buying one if the price was right.

I am truly shocked that the Springers are so popular considering that they are so poorly fitted. Even the $1500 Springers have shitty fit compared to an $800 Kimber, Para, STI, etc.

Compare for yourself and decide. Some things are easy to change/upgrade. Slide to frame fit isn't one of them.

Hell, if I could afford a 1400 dollar 1911 I would certainly buy one but I wouldn't get rid of the Taurus. Trigger/ambi safety replacements aren't difficult or expensive if they're not to your liking. The gentleman is looking for a bargain, so I told him of my experience. For the price, the pt1911 is hard to beat.

Re: Made up my mind===Help me pick a 1911

Springfield my #1 choice

Sig a close second

I dont like kimber becasue some of the parts are NOT colt/mil spec.

I hear that Taurus has came out with a decent gun as well, under $700.00.

STI or Springfield. I've heard good stuff on the S&W's as well but haven't shot them much. Some kimbers are good, but from the courses I've been to less than 50% complete the course without problems and their customer service is a joke. If you can find kimber from back when they were made in OR those are nice guns, once they moved to NY the overall quality tanked.

Don't fall into the "slide to frame" fit trap. It has little if anything to do with the accuracy of the gun, and usually all it does is reduce reliability. As long as the gun has a good match barrel with a tight fitting bushing it will shoot more than accurate enough for 99% of shooters needs.

Before the semi-customs like wilson etc. started making the mainstream rounds no one even thought about slide to frame fit unless it was a custom gun or for bullseye shooting.
These days everyone walks in and looks at 1911's and checks the slide to frame fit, companies have responded by trying to make it as tight as possible all it has gained them is less reliability in most cases, especially at sub $1000 price points.

It's just like having too little tolerance in the bolt/action fit, fine for a benchrest gun, but get a little dirt in it and it won't run.

I've seen old military 1911's that literally had slides that rattled on the frame if you shook them. Put a fitted match barrel and bushing in them and they shoot as well as anything you can buy under $1000 these days.

Another vote for Springfield. I carry a TRP Operator when in uniform. I have a Lightweight Champion Operator on order that will be ready at the end of the month for my normal plainclothes assignment. Love 'em.

Donnie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't fall into the "slide to frame" fit trap. It has little if anything to do with the accuracy of the gun, and usually all it does is reduce reliability. As long as the gun has a good match barrel with a tight fitting bushing it will shoot more than accurate enough for 99% of shooters needs.
</div></div>

This is bullshit, but based in fact. I'll point out the problems.

Slide to frame fit has little to do with accuracy. This is true, however, it is also a sign of poor machining and generally sloppy work. The slide to frame fit on even the $1500+ Springfields that are made in the United States is absolutely atrocious, and cannot be easily or economically corrected. It is a general sign of shitty quality. Even the Taurus has better fit than the majority of Springfields.

Even if it did affect accuracy, the guns are more accurate than 90% of shooters. I'm not going to say that mechanical accuracy matters...because it doesn't.

There are a lot of good sub-1000 dollar pistols out there, and not all of them are tight enough to run poorly. I'm sure they run fine. My Kimbers aren't that tight, but they certainly don't "rattle," and if you held them next to any Springfield at any price point, the piss poor machine work of the Springer would be immediately apparent.

I've shot many thousands of rounds through 1911s the last few years. The difference between a $1500 Kimber, a $2000 RRA, and a $2500 Wilson are more minimal than you'd believe. I'd rather have a cheaper gun with decent fit and send it off somewhere to have work done to it than buy one of Bill Wilson's cookie cutter customs.

The Springfield Loaded is, IMO, about the minimum level 1911 that I'd suggest for a new 1911 guy. I think it'd be a great gun at $550-600, but it's overpriced at $800.

The Taurus has more features than a RIA or similar, but I'd rather have the RIA. The Taurus sacrifices the rest of the gun simply to have a beavertail an a few other options.

Another vote for Springfield, check out the website.
If the metal fit offends you (mine is very tight) then find a good gunsmith to tune for you.

I do own Colts, Sold a Kimber, passed on a SIG.

Of the tools I have at hand the Springfield and the colt get equal use.

Pick one that fits your hand and your budget and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new kimbers are hit or miss... I know 5+ people locally with either Pro Carry II or Ultra Carry II and never had a problem.

Now out of the ones you listed, I'll go STI first followed by Springfield.

drake </div></div>

I have three Kimbers and had an issue with 1, but learned a trick that I used on the next 2 and had zero, I mean zero issues with function (or any other issues for that matter) I take the new gun apart and get a small dab of toothpaste and put it on the rails and work the action a few hundred times. You will see some wear on the rails, depending on the finish, but the toothpaste acts as a very fine polish and quickly performs the breaking in that Kimber says their guns sometimes require. Clean it off, add some gun butter and off to the range. Both my Raptor Pro and my Ultra CDP II have had this prep work and they both function great.

My $.02 on Kimbers

I have 2 Springfields that I love, A Mil-spec and an Operator. Both shoot better than I can and have no reliability problems. The next 1911 i'm going to buy is a Dan Wesson Bobtail. Ed brown parts at CZ price. Bobtail is perfect for duty, carry, or target.

And Kimber is nice, but not worth the price I think. I would never place my life on Kimber's reliability either, I've seen way to many jams for my comfort.

I am a 1911 die hard. When you spend time behind a quality custom, you realize there is no comparison. You can get a used Les Baer for in the $1500 range. I recently bought a STI 2011 (my Obama gun). It shoots lights out. Tight and smooth.

I haven't tried the single stack STIs, but if they are as nice a the 2011, you will be impressed.

If you want a reliable, do anything pistol, gotta go glock.

STI is the way to go as far as i'm concerned, you won't be dissapointed
wink.gif

Springfield Loaded

It will have exactly what you want and they have excellent customer support

I agree with you here. I have several different 1911's including a Springer, an Origional Colt, a Detonics Score Master, and a couple of Rock Islands. I put a little money (less than $200.00) in parts and labor, into one of the RIA's, and it shoots great. I carry it daily.

RIA's are at the point now that Kimbers were when they first enterred the market. (I know a few range snobs here are gonna give me s#!t on this, but facts are facts). When Kimber first entered the market, they were off the shelf race guns. They used a LOT of cast parts, and suffered some breakage. They corrected the problem and outsold Colt. I can't speak of the new ones, I can't afford one.

I won't carry my Colt (It's worth too much money) I like my Springer, but I don't want to be out a bunch of money if it gets stolen out of the truck on the rare occasion it isn't on my hip, so the RIA works for me. I have put well over 5000 round through it with 3 stops, all three were magazine problems. About the only complaint I have is that the "parkerizing" doesn't hold up. I duracoated it, and that solved the problem.

The great thing about 1911's is that if you have a good frame/slide, you can turn a shitter into a shooter. I had a friend who put some money, and work into a Century Arms Imports/Shooter's Armory "Scout" and it shot consistantly out of a rest using Winchester White Box at 25 yards, and never jammed,(I don't reccomend it, but it worked for him).

Just some food for thought
whistle.gif

You are right about the early OR built kimbers. They were on par with the semi-customs and it's the reason guys to this day will pay more for a used OR kimber than a new NY one. They did have parts breakages more frequently with the cast parts to start but they were great guns. It's too bad kimber has fallen far from the tree.

I also have heard a lot of good about the RRA guns but have not had the pleasure of putting one through it's paces. It's really too bad that they stopped taking orders back in Sept. due to the increased AR demand. Though it's better than the option to outsource or crank production way up and let QC tank. So I applaud them for taking the high road and instead of turning out lesser product on a newly formed great reputation in the 1911 world as others have done, to suspend new orders.

Your point about 1911's is a great one. If you get a good slide and frame, the rest can be adjusted. A good 1911 smith can take a couple hundred dollars in parts add a couple hundred more in labor and if the frame and slide are good it can be turned into a great reliable shooter. With most things smithing related, it's important to get a good 1911 specific smith.

Both of my Kimbers are Series I, but NY guns. I'm also glad to see so many people agree with me that slide to frame fit IS important, because it's the one thing you really can't get from a gunsmith after the fact.

Yeah, My next one is going to be a Caspian Frankengun. I bought a matched Caspian frame/slide combo from Brownells. Looks like it might be time to put it together.

STI!!

Here is my Longslide Trojan.

CSF

trojan.jpg

Do the Dan Wesson's have good slide to frame fit? I have an older made Dan Wesson Revolver and it shoots amazingly which makes me want to take a look at their 1911's. before i read this I was leaning more toward the Sprinfield's but I'm not to sure anymore.

And can you put any 1911 part in any Manufacturers 1911? or do you have to buy manufacturer specific parts? i'm kind of new to all this.

That's a hard question to answer. Everything from the 1911 Colt Govt. will fit my Rock Islands, except the grip escrutions. Obviously "Series 80" parts wont work in a "Series70" I wouldn't have a "Series 80" anyway, it's a lawyer-gun.
For the most part, as long as it's the same series, and made by a decent manufacturer, most of the parts interchange with som fitting. I bought a 1911 armorers kit from Brownells, including the stones that are made specifically to stone the rails and ways. It sounds a bit more complicated at times than it actually is.
Get the AGI 1911 pistol video, it pretty much explains everything, in great detail,and it's also a great reference in case you ever want to do your own mods, do repairs, or build your own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost3x7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man that Trojan is a BEAUTY!!! You guys keep on posting pics like that, I'm gonna pop a woody!

What kind of grips are those? </div></div>

Those are Wicked Grips. Just like these.

CSF

1911.jpg

Well I have a Kimber Custom II TLE/RL and a SIG GSR Revolution (newer model in the 15??? serial #s)and like both of them very well. I Have had no problem with fit or function of either one and both are shooters and both were around $800.
Of the ones listed for a reasonable price, Ive been looking at the Taurus myself to try out, seems to have a number of features for the price and Ive heard some good things from a few people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nobody likes the sig's? </div></div>

Not in 1911s...Les Baer, Les Baer and Les Baer...imho much better than Wilson (and yes I own Wilsons).

pistols018.jpg

I have no idea why the images never show up when I post them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do the Dan Wesson's have good slide to frame fit? I have an older made Dan Wesson Revolver and it shoots amazingly which makes me want to take a look at their 1911's. before i read this I was leaning more toward the Sprinfield's but I'm not to sure anymore.

And can you put any 1911 part in any Manufacturers 1911? or do you have to buy manufacturer specific parts? i'm kind of new to all this. </div></div>

Glad you asked, at the same time my wife and I each bought a new production Ed Brown Kobra Carry and a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail Commander and the Dan Wesson seems the better made gun.

Here are some examples;

Slide to frame fit is tighter in Dan Wesson (completely tight) (though I'm not convinced that matters for accuracy all that much -- I would look to bushing fit first).

Top of grip panels are finished on Dan Wesson, not on Ed Brown.

Ed Brown gets hung up and will not slide into battery when you slowly let the slide release; no problem with Dan Wesson.

Dan Wesson is more accurate.

Now look at the price. The Dan Wesson is the price to value king in higher end production guns (and I consider Wilson, Baer and Brown to be production guns). The superior gun from Springfield would be the Professional -- but that is over $2K and will come with a long wait.

I can't get it in Kalifornia, but I would look into the Dan Wesson Valor. YMMV.