• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mag range for 6.5 creed Ar10

Estes640

Sergeant of the Hide
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Bellevue, KY
So I finally picked up an Ar10 in 6.5 creed. I will be using this as my do all rifle. I want an optic that will be versatile as well. I mainly target shoot, but will be getting into prs soon. I am looking at two scopes

athlon Argos btr 6-24x50
or
swfa 3-15x42 ffp

my question is, what is your ideal mag range for your AR, and what scope would you get?

What range do you plan on shooting with the rifle? I had a NF SHV 4-14 F1 on my 6.5CM GAP-10 for a few months and it was fine. I liked the NF ATACR 5-25 that I had on my 300WM better so I swapped them. Both are serviceable on that platform and more than capable of getting you out to a grand.

Between the two scopes you have I'd go with the SWFA based on the mag power. IMO 6x is to high on the minimum mag range if you want the rifle to do everything such as close range shots in PRS or for hunting. I'd also look at the bushnell 3.5-21 DMR or if you can spend a little more the ERS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a 5-25 on my 6.5 for a couple years now. I just recently switched to the 4-20 as I thought the 5-25 was overkill.

If the only two choices were a 3-15 or a 6-24, I would take the 3-15 every time. You don't need 24x. You don't even need 20x to shoot to 1200 yards. I was shooting that distance on 12x in a PRS match last year. I had to cycle through five targets starting at 480. I meant to turn it up as I progressed out, but simply forgot. I didn't miss it though, went 9/10 on that stage. I had the wind figured out..

I'm ordering a 3-15 for the 6.5 Grendel I just bought.

Another vote for the SHV F1. I don't have experience with them but near the same price point the PST Gen II is worth a look.

I have an SHV F1 on my AR10 in 308. It is good to 800 with ease. At 1000 it lags a bit in clarity and at the 1250 on the range I shoot at it takes some added concentration to really distinguish edges. I had my NXS 5.5-22x56 on my 260 bolt rifle and it was a bit better. I now have an AMG 6-24 on that 260 and the clarity at 1000+ is a noticeable improvement. I maintain the SHV on the AR10, though.

For the price points you noted, the XTRIIs are quite functional. I sold my 5-25 XTRII in favor of the SHV F1 as my personal preference was for the MOAR reticle over the SCR. That was a personal compromise on my part as both have nice clarity and function for their price. The capped windage, again for my personal taste, is not a negative - nearly a plus. To me, the SHV is the best "bang for the buck" in the mid-priced range of scopes. The 5mil/10moa elevation turret isn't even a deal-breaker for me.

It all boils down to your personal preferences. End use. Ranges most frequently shot at. Reticle utility vs too busy/confusion. Turret ease of use vs positive clicks vs readability. On and on. Too many choices available.

If you don't might used, you can usually get a lot more bang for your buck in the PX

SWFA 3-15 hands down. Shot fixed 12 on creed for a long time out to 1k. Could hold 1moa with that scope at 1k yds. Upgraded to 3-15 and love it. Actually looking for another 3-15. To me the 3-15 mag range is perfect for just about anything you want to do.

I have used the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 and you are going to have a hard time beating what it offers for the money. I have an AR10 in 7.62x51...I have 4.5-30x50 on it. You can always back the magnification off if you have it...not having it and wanting or needing more sucks. We compared the Athlon Argos BTR side by side with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP and the Athlon seemed to have clearer glass, parallax adjustment is great, reticle clarity was much better in terms of edge to edge, and the illumination is brighter. This is not to knock the Viper PST in any way (I still have 4 of them!) My point is the Argos BTR is right there with the Viper PST but at a lower price point. In the end it depends on what you are doing with the rifle.