• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Magazine box on REMINGTON 700 SPS Varmint

Dogor

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
Peru
I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with floor plate instead of detachable magazine like the Tactical version. I was planning to buy an Accuracy International Chassis System that comes with a magazine. Is it possible to replace the Floor Plate system to accomodate a magazine box?

Re: Magazine box on REMINGTON 700 SPS Varmint

the SPS Tactical does not have a detachable magazine. If you buy the AICS chassis it will drop in the barreled action and you will have a detachable mag without having to do anything other than torque the action down to the chassis

A lot of companies make replacement bottom metals to change your factory rifle stock to a detachable magazine. You will have to inlet your stock for the bottom metal.

I have as SPS that I have been thinking about changing the bottom to one with a detachable mag, but I have been under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that you have alter the bottom of the receiver is this the case?

bshaw

You need to buy a DBM (badger makes a nice one for around 335) or buy an AICS stock with comes with a 5 round AICS mag. (10 rnds also available)

Most bottom metals for Remington 700 do not require any modifications to receiver.

CDI Precision Gunworks makes a good bottom metal also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bshaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have as SPS that I have been thinking about changing the bottom to one with a detachable mag, but I have been under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that you have alter the bottom of the receiver is this the case?

bshaw </div></div>

If you wish to use AI AW double stack mags you will need to mod the receiver. AICS single stack mags no receiver mod is needed.

Thank you for all your answers. I will wait to recieve the AICS stock and see where it goes from there.

Remington has a model 700 SPS DM that has a detachable mag, but I do not know the specs on it, or if the mag is worth it. Might be better to get your bottom metal and mags from one of the reputed aftermarket companies.