• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine flag

Mauser06

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
NW Pennsylvania
From time to time I see guys with orange plastic somethings in their magazine well in place of a chamber flag.

I like the concept better than a chamber flag.

Anyone know what they are called? Or where I can find them?

Thanx!

From time to time I see guys with orange plastic somethings in their magazine well in place of a chamber flag.

I like the concept better than a chamber flag.

Anyone know what they are called? Or where I can find them?

Thanx!

Reactions: King_beardsly
Don't mention for what rifle but I assume these:

At the end of the day it is not a chamber flag... we can argue for days on end if it works or not, and if preventing the bolt moving forward is the same thing as having a chamber flag...

Reactions: Terry Cross
I always liked these, wish they made them for a variety of guns (only small frame ARs as far as I can find).

Empty magwell indicator as above, but a flexible plastic thing that comes sticking out of the ejector port so doesn't just block the bolt from moving forward, but visibly does so, no issues with anyone saying "it's not a visible chamber flag" therefore.

I mean, so far. I am sure eventually some one will say it's not In The Chamber, so I always keep a few of the tiny red J shaped ones around in case.

I might have to get one of the MK Machining ones and add a flexi-flag of some sort to the top of it, now I know those exist though.

Cost more than others but I may get a chamber flag from Plug'r USA. It fills the chamber, pulls the bolt snugly forward(still open) with a bungee, and has a large flag.

$10-14 ain't shit when I already spent $$$$ on a rifle.

Reactions: Busyhawk
The mag blocks for AR' left CMP and NRS High Power because there were rounds left in chambers with them. They worked as intended but when you try to be idiot proof a better idiot comes along.

Reactions: FatBoy and Bb214
Yow-Tech also makes them.

Keep in mind, any range or league requiring it to show an “empty chamber” may not consider these adequate as the chamber could still be hot.

The mag blocks for AR' left CMP and NRS High Power because there were rounds left in chambers with them. They worked as intended but when you try to be idiot proof a better idiot comes along.
There is no perfect system. Safety mag and chamber flag both have their downsides. Yes, a round can still be in the chamber with a safety mag. I've also seen a lot of chamber flags fall out as guys come off the line. So while not perfect, both can be good safety enhancements when paired with group diligence- make sure you're being safe and make sure your cohorts are being safe as well.

Thanx all!

I see the point about it not truly showing an empty chamber.

I can't wrap my head around putting a piece of plastic into a smoking hot chamber. Plastic melts. I must be wrong as it's super common and must not cause the issues I invision?

Reactions: DudeBro
at one range, they don't care what you have, you have to use what they give you (for free) because they want to recognize it.

I have 2 yow techs and they are great. I also have 2 for my 10/22s and ruger precision rimfire. I prefer the mag style.

I have one similar to the ones mentioned. One range said i could use it the others said could still be a round in the chamber and nope no can use. Now it just sits in the pocket in the truck door

The league I shoot in isn’t to much of a stickler as long as it’s a clear chamber, but two of the ranges we shoot want chamber flags or you’re not allowed on the line.

I have a few of these:

I prefer the bolt block style, because I'd rather not stick anything plastic in the warm chamber where it can melt. Also, when I pick the gun up and the bolt slides back, the block won't fall out like a typical flag can.

I don't think these will pass the muster at my ranges. We are require to REMOVE the mag and place a chamber flag and then close the bolt unto the flag. YMMV.

I don't think these will pass the muster at my ranges. We are require to REMOVE the mag and place a chamber flag and then close the bolt unto the flag. YMMV.
The problem with that style is that if you carry the rifle muzzle up, the bolt slides back, and the flags can fall out. At the matches I run, we have a lot of people walk up to the shooting position without flags, because the flag fell out on the trip from the rifle rack.

The problem with that style is that if you carry the rifle muzzle up, the bolt slides back, and the flags can fall out. At the matches I run, we have a lot of people walk up to the shooting position without flags, because the flag fell out on the trip from the rifle rack.

You have a point. I guess if you know this can happen, you shouldn't carry your rifle muzzle up to your shooting lane.

You have a point. I guess if you know this can happen, you shouldn't carry your rifle muzzle up to your shooting lane.
Are you suggesting we have people walk around with their rifles pointing at each other? I'd much rather have people use a magazine block or a flag that sometimes falls out, than have them point rifles with chamber flags at other people.

I can't wrap my head around putting a piece of plastic into a smoking hot chamber. Plastic melts. I must be wrong as it's super common and must not cause the issues I invision?

Modern plastics are good to around 400-450f. Thats hot enough to cook off live ammo, so probably safer.

Are you suggesting we have people walk around with their rifles pointing at each other? I'd much rather have people use a magazine block or a flag that sometimes falls out, than have them point rifles with chamber flags at other people.

.......you carry muzzle down, or you use a chamber flag that has a bungee cord.

Reactions: NewsShooter
WOW I use the first mag block. The gun cannot go off with it in place. It also has a flag attached to it. I have been to 7-8 major long distant ranges (1000) or more and never had a problem. I have shot with some of the top shooters in the US in PRS and they use them. I would think since they go to all the major events (I know I know I am not that goood) that there recognized as being adequately for the events that very few people would recognize as not being up to par. For Gods Sake you can not close the bolt. Other than my machine guns, I have never seen a gun fire from an open bolt. And Tech speaking they fire once the bolt is closed.

And yes I dont know how many times I have seen someone walking around, with no flag, because it fell out of the gun. In my opinion this is a much safer model. The bolt must be open, could a bullet maybe, and that is a big Maybe still be in the chamber, yes. But you would have to have a broken extractor or Purposefully loaded the round by hand. Also with the bolt back the gun can not go off. You dont take it out until your on the line ready to shoot down range.

Reactions: lush_dawg
WOW I use the first mag block. The gun cannot go off with it in place. It also has a flag attached to it. I have been to 7-8 major long distant ranges (1000) or more and never had a problem. I have shot with some of the top shooters in the US in PRS and they use them. I would think since they go to all the major events (I know I know I am not that goood) that there recognized as being adequately for the events that very few people would recognize as not being up to par. For Gods Sake you can not close the bolt. Other than my machine guns, I have never seen a gun fire from an open bolt. And Tech speaking they fire once the bolt is closed.

And yes I dont know how many times I have seen someone walking around, with no flag, because it fell out of the gun. In my opinion this is a much safer model. The bolt must be open, could a bullet maybe, and that is a big Maybe still be in the chamber, yes. But you would have to have a broken extractor or Purposefully loaded the round by hand. Also with the bolt back the gun can not go off. You dont take it out until your on the line ready to shoot down range.

No one is arguing they don’t work. It’s just a fact that at this point and time, not all ranges and not all matches recognize them as adequate enough.

Reactions: DudeBro
Been to quite a few matches and seen these as well...concept is so much better than the flag. Countless times I see guys walk up and RO say remove flag and the shooter is like hmm where did it go. I hope these style become the norm.

No one is arguing they don’t work. It’s just a fact that at this point and time, not all ranges and not all matches recognize them as adequate enough.

I'm guessing insurance and lawyers and all that. Unloaded (ie empty chamber, empty mag, cleared visually) and made safe (using any mechanical safety or action blocking device) are not interchangeble states of the weapon. So if a locality, club, or insurance provider has written rules stipulation firearms must be unloaded for certain things to happen (eg absolve liability) there will be some kind of burden to demonstrate one versus the other. This really seems to be where the line is being drawn, just reading between the lines.

.......you carry muzzle down, or you use a chamber flag that has a bungee cord.
If someone pulled a rifle off the rack and then flipped it to muzzle down, I'd have to DQ that person for pointing a rifle in an unsafe direction, because our rifle racks are at the rear of the range, not the firing line.

Chamber flags indicate an empty chamber, there can still be a round in the chamber with the mag blocks. That is the way it was explained to me. I have a mag block and some places they allow them some not. Chamber flag could also save some time once on the clock by preventing a double feed situation if there is somehow a live round left in the chamber.
chamber flags with a bungee are cheap anyways

Reactions: 502Chevelle
I do not shoot 1% the matches of most of you, but shoot a good bit, have been to classes, etc. 100% of the ranges I've been to are "open, or bolt removed." Never had to have a Chamber Flag® even though sometimes it is stated as such.

(EDIT: I forgot IDPA makes me for PCC, but since there's no 9mm Colt Mag Block, I have to use a flag anyway. With the self-loading, I just always drop the bolt on it, but even there I see plenty fall out as other people leave the bolt locked back for some reason).

And 100% agree as an SO or just observer, the typical chamber flag falls out all the time, sometimes as soon as pick-the-gun-up, so isn't doing it's job, AND/OR is hard to get in and out, so there is a lot of waving the gun around (obviously, not when prone supported, bipod, et al!) to fuss with the thing we're doing for better safety :rolleyes:

(Muzzle down on a rack? How???)

Last edited:
The chamber flags I use have a key ring that attaches the flag to the "empty chamber" patch that hangs off of it. I use a rubber band from the key ring to the bolt handle. Doesn't fall out.

Do you have other color options? I want one that matches my hat.

I usually bring a pouch of colored zip ties. Was looking at the safety magazines, some ranges are okay with it, some are not.

I use a rubber band to link the mag block and the EC flag. The flag can slide out of the chamber still but at least I don loose it while on the move.

1612993091366.png

I am doing a lot of projects this weekend, finally did this one. Buzzed a groove into the top of the MKM block, at an angle. Buzzed off some scrap orange plastic I had, stuck it in there.
51059017563_3f4d25e93e_b.jpg

Should be epoxied, but it's just pressfit and contact cement now. The groove in the top is inherited from the shape of the scrap for the flag part, not on purpose.
51059017528_3979ef4dd9_b.jpg

The angle is such that it /just/ clears the magwell and receiver bits, sticks out of the ejector port:
51059738381_63cc325b94_b.jpg

Should clear the scope, I just don't happen to have it on this gun now. If not, either the flag will flex or I'll buzz off enough till it fits.

And giumau1's comment gave me an idea:
51059738331_811a2fbf6c_b.jpg

I had to buzz a tiny bit off the back of that bog standard J-hook chamber flag, the one I always keep in the databook because you never know, now the MKM mag block bears against it, so it can't fall out!

Now all is solved.

Good job. Have you check with your range to see if this will pass the range rules?
I have been using the yellow mag blocks for years and years. The ranges I am a full on member of only /encourage/ any marking device, and just bolt open/removed is actually enough.

Matches vary, but for self-loaders, I very, very rarely have to use an actual in-the-chamber flag. And this covers that also. Hard to imagine anyone being upset I would have a chamber flag AND something else :)

Reactions: gunsnjeeps