• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine Pouch Options for Extended AI Mags

skidhc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2018
Newnan, GA
Looking for magazine pouch options for AI mags with extenders. I am using an Area 419 extender and the mag won't fit in my Armageddon Gear pouch and keeps snagging on things and falling out of my SAP Kydex pouch. Is there anything out there that works (either off the shelf or with modification) for this setup?

HSGI Tacos are the jam. Go from AR to AK to AICS with no issues.
The HSGI Tacos definitely look promising - especially since it looks like you can add another piece of bungy to loop over the top of the mag. Have you tried them with AICS plus extender or just with the unmodified AICS? Either way, it looks like they might work - just curious if you have tried them for the configuration that I described.

I also got a PM about some made by Dead Eye Designs. There was an Instagram address (or link or whatever you call it) but I am not on instagram and Google search didn't turn up anything useful. Anyone know anything about them?

In regards to Tacos, Ive not used them with extenders, but I am just about certain it wont be an issue. Are you planning on putting them on a belt?

Reactions: skidhc
In regards to Tacos, Ive not used them with extenders, but I am just about certain it wont be an issue. Are you planning on putting them on a belt?
Yes - was planning to use on a belt. The first ones I saw did not appear to have a good mounting system for a belt but then I found that they have a complete line that are specifically for belt mounting. Were you asking to point me to the belt mount versions or is there a better way?

I was also thinking that maybe a pistol taco would work for a Kestrel but might be a bit small - do you happen to know if that would work?

I see lots of tab pouches around and Im pretty sure the bungie has enough stretch for the extender. https://www.tabgear.com/collections/ammo-management/products/magazine-pouch
Magazine Pouch

Reactions: Firedude
I see lots of tab pouches around and Im pretty sure the bungie has enough stretch for the extender. https://www.tabgear.com/collections/ammo-management/products/magazine-pouch
Magazine Pouch
I have seen those and like them but think maybe they are ideal for AW mags rather than AICS (much less AICS with an extender) - they are short like the SAP Kydex one the I have (maybe the bungee would stretch far enough but maybe not). I really like the belt clip on the G-code but think I am going to order one of the tacos unless I find something better. G-code belt clip on a taco looks like it would be the best combo but so far haven't found that...

+ 1 for the tacos . I use a variety of AI mags , including the 10rd long action mags. just adjust the bungee depending on which size mag your using

HSGI Tacos work excellent, no problem with mag extensions.

The retention works great, and it's easy to remove and insert mags.

Posting an update since receiving a couple of HSGI products. The mag pouches are definitely deep enough for AI mags (and not too deep to cause problems with a mag extender). However, they do not really seem to be designed to handle AI mags (seem to be ideally suited for AR sized mags) . I have not yet tried them in a competition situation but it seems difficult to get an AI mag into them (like maybe a two-handed operation). This may not be then end of the world and may be fine for PRS since I am really only concerned with getting the mag quickly and having it securely held until I wish to do so.

View media item 2022This is the HSGI mag pouch with an AI mag with Area 419 extender inserted. It does not seat completely (the plastic sides pinch it in a way that tries to push the mag out) but may work fine if the mag is fully loaded/heavy? It also seems difficult to put the mag into the pouch (a two handed operation) - although this may be fine as well since the real concern is getting it out when needed.

Also got an HSGi pistol taco to see how it worked for my Kestrel.... With the bungee basically fully extended, the fit is extremely snug - to the point that I think maybe this is not he best option....
View media item 2021

Also got an HSGi pistol taco to see how it worked for my Kestrel.... With the bungee basically fully extended, the fit is extremely snug - to the point that I think maybe this is not he best option....
View media item 2021
Up until the Walsh Custom Defense Kestrel holster came out this week, I've used the HSGI pistol mag pouch and had no issues with it.

Hey Ben - that looks like a slick setup! Maybe I could take a closer look at it the next time I run into you at a match?

BTW, what belt is that you have them mounted on?

Thanks,
Stephen Culpepper

GCode Operator's Belt 1.75"