• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine round count

Jack Master

Smile and Dial
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2018
Here
www.snipershide.com
Anyone else ever try this? I got tired of not knowing how many rounds were in my magazine so I drilled holes to see the heads of the cases similar to pistol magazines. I won't say I did a perfect job but at least I know if i have 8 or 10.. or more in the damn thing. Why has no one done this to thier factory mags yet?

20200521_212847.jpg
20200521_213006.jpg

Update.
I used this at a match this weekend and it worked awesome! We had a few 6 and 8 round stages and it was easy to reload the magazine and be confident how many rounds where in it. I'll likely do this to more magazines.

What's the significance of the the line marked "10" besides 10 rds? Are they fully loaded with 10 rds in the pics? Are the holes below that not needed then? Nice job.

What's the significance of the the line marked "10" besides 10 rds? Are they fully loaded with 10 rds in the pics? Are the holes below that not needed then? Nice job.
The 10 is so I know where 10 rounds is at. These are all 12 round magazines but a few of them have weak springs so I only load them with 10. If I load them with 12 it compresses the spring and the last round won't feed until I re-stretch the spring. Also, I can know where 10 rounds is at and count the 2 below the line to know there are 12 if I needed to load 12.

Reactions: db2000
Do you think I can do this on Magpul mags without destroying them. Ma1ybe smaller holes. A great idea. This is another reason why I love my 1911 A .45 ACP.

Do you think I can do this on Magpul mags without destroying them. Ma1ybe smaller holes. A great idea. This is another reason why I love my 1911 A .45 ACP.
Absolutely this will work with magpul mags. Just be sure to remove any plastic burs a on the inside of the magazine after drilling. I used a file to get rid of them.

Run full mags on stages. If you have an issue you have extra. I wouldnt run less than full unless stage mandated count in the mag.