• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine Selection Questions

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am fairly set on using a KRG Bravo for building a Howa based 6.5 x 47 rifle. I am not familiar with magazines, so some help is appreciated.

KRG offers AICS "pattern" mags in 5 and 10 round, with or without restrictor plate. What is this restrictor plate for? For 223? Is it removable? If I wanted to use the mag for 223 as well, should I order with a restrictor plate, or...?

What is the maximum overall length for a large bolt face round that will fit in the AICS type mag? I want to be sure I can mag feed a 6.5 x 47 rounds with bullets seated to where they are touching the lands. It seems that the metal AICS mags (vs polymer) may offer the longest OAL capacity. Not sure about this.

If the rifle is seated on a 6" - 9" bipod, and a light rear bad, is the AICS 10 round mag too long to remove without moving the rifle? Just wondering if I should get 5 or 10 round mags. Just a casual shooter off bench and no competition.

Thanks,

Phil

The restrictor plate has to do with your "coal" case overall length. Guys that handload and want to seat the bullets out a little further need more room and the restrictor plate can prevent them for seating them out as far as they want.

There are some other mag options, I'm a big fan of the ARC American rifle company mags, some people seem to have issues with them but they have been nothing but perfect for me.

You should have plenty of space to seat to the lands with either option, just get it without the restrictor plate.

I don't have a problem with a regular 10rd aics mag hitting the bench, you should be fine there, but that is one nice thing about the ARC mags, much shorter and still 10rd capacity.

KRG mags are Accurate mags. With binder plate 2.85ish without 2.96ish OAL

223 uses separate mags from Accurate/AI/MDT

If you're bench shooting I doubt I'd ever even use a mag and just single feed with a bobsled

Thanks for the comments. I did e-mail KRG about mags for the Howa with or without the restrictor plate. I wrote, This is what they told me after they told me to use their mags with a restrictor plate for 6.5 x 47.

ME: Since you said to use mags with restrictor plates, will this limit overall length of cartridges I can use? I plan on using 6.5 x 47, and want to touch the lands, with rounds in mag. Can this happen with the Howa action?

KRG RESPONSE: With a Howa or Remington there will be overlap of the receiver to the front of the mag without using a restrictor plate. This will inevitably cause feeding issues, which is why we recommend using mags with a plate for your type of rifle.

----------------
I did measure the mag opening in the Howa action. It is right about 3.00 inches long. At the rear of the opening there is a little tab that intrudes into the mag well. I measured from the tab to the other end of the mag well. I know some people have ground that tab down to make mags work, but I am not really seeing why that is necessary. Maybe I will when I get my KRG mags. I ordered two with restrictor plates as KRG directed. I still really do not know what this "restrictor" plate is, or where it is found in the mag.

KRG said they do not offer 223 mags. The recommended MDT mags for that round.

Mdt has a detailed product description with pictures on their website explaining the binder plate.

@Phil3 Its an mdt demo but its the same premise. Scroll down to the bottom https://mdttac.com/collections/poly...magazines-short-action?variant=12900156866611

Summary-

With the binder plate it keeps the bullets back in the mag( away from the front) and out from under the action feed ramp lip.
1543331837899.png

Without the binder plate you get more space for longer rounds but it can hang up on the action feed ramp.
1543331895510.png

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Thank you! I have been on the MDT site many times, including the mag page, but never saw the illustration before. Not sure if a new addition or I never scrolled far enough, but thanks for pointing it out. Perfectly explains it! Thank you. - Phil

Reactions: MDT_Josh