• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazines for 6BR, BRA, BRX and Dasher

AndyR

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Franktown, CO
Just switching over to a 6BR and BRA. What is everybody using for AICS pattern magazines? I have used ARC mags and had lots of problems. AICS mags and had problems. The only mag I have used without any issue is the Magpul Pmags. Wanting to get an idea of what mags you run and what modification you had to do to make them run.
AR

Without the pva kit?

Yes.

I have a 700SA Dasher, and with PTG Stealth DBM in a BC Medalist, the Pmag 7.62 AC 5 rounder has fed 99% with both Dasher and 6BR fireform loads; the 3-4 times it wasn't flawless I was running the bolt a little slower than normal.

Yes.

I have a 700SA Dasher, and with PTG Stealth DBM in a BC Medalist, the Pmag 7.62 AC 5 rounder has fed 99% with both Dasher and 6BR fireform loads; the 3-4 times it wasn't flawless I was running the bolt a little slower than normal.
Good to know man. Thanks

Match reliability seems to need a mag kit. Lots of things are overlooked during non-specific practice time vs specialized testing. That is where the mag kits are best realized.

Our kits 100% machined from high lubricity plastic are not printed from temperature sensitive resins that snap in cold temps. We have fully controlled followers and patent pending debris clearing features to improve overall magazine performance in dusty conditions.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/rifle-accessories/magazines-and-mag-kits/

Match reliability seems to need a mag kit. Lots of things are overlooked during non-specific practice time vs specialized testing. That is where the mag kits are best realized.

Our kits 100% machined from high lubricity plastic are not printed from temperature sensitive resins that snap in cold temps. We have fully controlled followers and patent pending debris clearing features to improve overall magazine performance in dusty conditions.

When are they going to be back in stock?

When are they going to be back in stock?
Probably late next week depending on the mag. I spent about 2 hours tonight chopping plastic plates up into little blocks for blanks. Unfortunately the timing sucks because we're going to be down on the mill for several days with a shop move starting on Wednesday. Very exciting overall but for mag kits the timing is bad.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
My arc mag feed my tl3 dasher very well. MK machine makes a follower that keeps the round from nose diving. I added that to my mag just as an added safeguard and it has feed very well.

Are you making a kit for the arc mags?

I like the snub here :D We print our improved ARC followers on SLA machines and they feed great with Dasher. The resin isn't so much temp sensitive (it is slightly) as it is cure setting sensitive (it is very). We had one bad batch of ARC followers that were cured too long, and too hot. Manufacturer of the resin suggested those settings, should've tested it, live and learn.

Here's 6 Dasher from an ARC mag with an improved follower:

And here's testing showing the impact on durability by altering cure settings:

Reactions: Colt1776
Out of my TL3, my Primal Rights/AICS is perfect, easily my go to mag and super slick. The only downside is it doesn’t like to have pressure on it, it can bind the bolt up if you do.

My unmodified ARC mag is reliable but it is stiffer (more sping pressure). It works fine but it has somewhat more likelyhood of upsetting the rifle when running the bolt due to the stiffness. Doesn’t mind pressure at all, you can run the action with the whole weight of the rifle on the mag.

My unmodified AICS mags also work, but are the stiffest of them all when full. I need to get a couple more Primal kits, and use my ARC for when I need a shorter magazine or will be loading the mag. My PVA kits haven’t worked so well, I may give them one last try but I’m not optimistic.

I should mention this is all with a Dasher. 3700 rounds of live fire, and I’ve probably run that many with dummy rounds in practice as well. I like to dry fire practice with dummies so I’m very aware of how my system works in various situations.

My experience is that whatever you do, it's dependent on the action/chassis more so than the mag. Just be prepared to do your own trouble shooting.

I've got buddies shooting Dasher out of AW mags with a spacer, AICS mags with a +2 extension, AICS with a primal rights kit (some with extra modifications) and I'm personally running 6BRA out of my TL3 with ARC mags with the stock follower, but the wings filed off.

FWIW my TL3 has run short 6BR based cases out of whatever mags I've fed it, without complaint.

I have 3 ARC magazines and they’re full blown AIDS. Took one apart today to try the sand down the tabs and stretch the spring a bit trick. Discovered that the springs themselves are (IMO) oversized and have far too much interference with the body, AND are some shitty, crusty material that is the opposite of low friction. I can set all 3 up on a bench and use 1 finger to depress the follower, and all 3 remain depressed and bound up. I’ve had these since June waiting for parts to complete the build that these were earmarked for, and now I could puke. That’ll teach me to be early to the new product party.

Are you making a kit for the arc mags?
Yes, I have a handful of kits left and we're making more next week. I'm in the middle of moving the shop currently so the mill is already setup for rigging on Friday. Once the machine is back on the floor and turning again we have a lot of plastic to cut for the various mag kits. I made what I thought would keep us supplied through the move. Since the move is 3 weeks delayed due to the new machine dealer being late and the demand for the kits being higher than I expected we're mostly out of things. The ARC kits I do have a handful of left, maybe 10 total.

The ARC kit is the one we took to SHOT Show and demonstrated all week with the Prototype John Hancock running 6mm BR as well as demonstrating the Nucleus' CRF capability by feeding 6BR cases in a 6x47 Lapua chamber.

I like the snub here :D We print our improved ARC followers on SLA machines and they feed great with Dasher. The resin isn't so much temp sensitive (it is slightly) as it is cure setting sensitive (it is very). We had one bad batch of ARC followers that were cured too long, and too hot. Manufacturer of the resin suggested those settings, should've tested it, live and learn.

Here's 6 Dasher from an ARC mag with an improved follower:

And here's testing showing the impact on durability by altering cure settings:

You aren't the only one printing mag kits that have shown a tendency to break during cold conditions but since you brought it up, yours are just the latest to have a batch fail. I heard about it from several folks who got the mag followers at different times but all seemed to have cold weather failures.

The cheap filament machines like a MakerBot have issues too, we've also seen those various products break in cold weather and I've also seen them sag and warp when someone left the mag in their car in the summer around here and then it didn't work anymore. I have one of those machines, it makes prototypes not finished product but since you brought it up directly...

When we talked just over a month ago about your followers I asked you about SLA in cold temps... wasn't a problem I was told. The broken followers posted on Instagram seem to suggest otherwise. End of the day, since it's up for discussion and you're showing a "torture test" video... my engineering suggestion would be to ask the resin manufacturer to provide Charpy Impact Test data for various resin and cure schedules, especially in colder temps, so that you can evaluate their product more quickly and effectively.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
Just work your AICS by adjusting feed lips may need to file a little of so there's no binding when there's pressure on the mag . No need for spacers with a BRA or BRX. They feed flawless in my Surgeon and Curtis .

Just work your AICS by adjusting feed lips may need to file a little of so there's no binding when there's pressure on the mag . No need for spacers with a BRA or BRX. They feed flawless in my Surgeon and Curtis .

Old thread, but what stock or chassis are you running with your Surgeon?

Using any combination of a Nucleus, Impact Precision, or Mausingfield actions and an XLR or MPA chassis I had great success using ARC magazines without any type of spacer kit. Their shorter feed lips really help with the stubby cases, I just tap it against my thigh to make sure the rounds are all seated to the far rear of the magazine before loading it in the gun. The only hiccup I had was that my Impact Precision action required an adjustable mag catch in my MPA chassis to get the ARC mags to sit at the correct height, since otherwise they sat too low relative to the action.

That said, I've mostly switched to just using the MDT magazines with spacer kits because I can buy 12 rounders off the shelf that way. They work great, but so have the ARC mags for me in the past.

I have them all. The MDT 12 rnd is the best and its not close.

The best conversion kit is the PVA one.

GL!
DT

at this point I would suggest, anything in stock would be best. the availability of almost anything right now is ridiculous

Was using AICS with Primal Rights kits, and those worked great.

Swapped over to the MDT 6BR mags, and haven't had an issue with those either.

This is in a Mausingfield M5 and LP Fusion action.