• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed chronograph

cornhusker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2012
Towandaa,Pa
Has anyone here used one of these new systems and if so what are your thoughts?
I see there are 2 models to choose from..I read several reviews on both..So if you
have used one or know of someone that has used one,I would appreciate hearing
about it.Thanks

I have the V3 and it is superb. The very first use takes a bit of fiddling to get the spacers right and to use the strap correctly, but once you figure that out it's dead simple.
So far I've had no issues at all with it, and it has captured every shot taken over it.

Well i will chime in. Personally they work great, they have been out for awhile. Some will say that they throw the group off. Still a good group but has some shift to it.
About the only thing better is the doppler radar. A few use both (lowlight).
set up is easy and the results are very accurate. I had remote unit before and would never ever go back to that.

I use a V3 and am very satisfied with it. Super easy to install on the rifle and use. It does shift poi about an inch on my rifles, but the group size doesn't change (at least I haven't noticed a change). I have used mine enough now that I would be confident using it during load development as well. A Labradar would be the only thing I might go to in the future, but I'm very satisfied with the Magnetospeed. I'll never use standard chrono again.

Another huge fan. I also like that I can help out a fellow shooter, just by strapping it on their barrel (about a minute setup) and then a person who has no chrono or never knew their MV, can get good data. It's record-able and can also be downloaded to a computer if that's something you like to do.

Very happy with my much used V2. Worth it!

I have one also, super easy to use. I bought a soft case from them and keep it in my shooting pack so it's always with me. I use to use a Shooting Chrony and always had trouble with consistent readings. The magnetospeed is a great piece of kit. Buy with confidence!

Have the V3 and like it very much. It usually ends up being a point of conversation with other shooters when I'm using it at the range. Being able to set up and use it when the range is "hot" without waiting is a nice benefit too. It definately relegated the old optical chrono to a dusty corner of the garage!

I've got the Sporter and have used the V3 as well. Interface is nicer on the V3, but both gave accurate results and were easy to use. I'm happy with the Sporter. If I was to upgrade I'd go straight to the Labradar.

I have the sporter. I made the mistake of using a buddy's V3. Functionally, the data provided by both units pretty much the same (almost no variance between outputs). IMO the V3 has a much better visual display unit and user interface, but it is reflected in the price point. Would I upgrade my Sporter for a V3? Probably not. I don't chrono that much. But if I had nothing, I would probably toss the extra coin at the V3 if you are looking for this style of chronograph. Its just a nicer user experience in my opinion.

I appreciate all of your replies. I have read several things about both of them.Some good ,some not so good..
I your honest opinion, which model do you thing is the best of the two of them?
I think the biggest fault I read was about the strap not staying tight and or even breaking. But like anything
this cold have been the fault of the operator trying to get it over tight...And I like the idea of being able to
use it without having to adjust a tripod and waiting for a cease fire as mentioned..As far as shooting for a
group at the same time,makes not difference to me...When using my chrony I just wanted the muzzle
velocity...Again I thank you for your comments on this....John

The V3 comes in a hard case with foam cutouts for all the parts of the kit, very similar to what new handguns come in. The Sporter comes in a bag. The V3 Has a few more "goodies" in the kit, gives you more options on the readout, ie, ES, SD and so forth and I think you get a few more spacers for setting up the bayonet on the muzzle. Take a look at their website, it will pretty much lay out all the differences for you. If all you want is just basic muzzle velocity however, get the Sporter and save a few bucks. As far as the strap goes, never had a problem with it. Just get it snug and then there's a tension screw knob that you can tighten for final adjustment. It's a pretty durable strap, I can't imagine breaking it but if someone did manage it, the company would simply send you another one I'm sure, they are great to deal with.

So far it has not been worth the ammo/barrel life for me to test POI shift and group-size change with the chrono on. It's there, but it's minimal. Typically I will develop a load for accuracy at 300-500yd, then will plink/practice with what I settle on with the magnetospeed on the barrel to get velocity info. Hitting my 2/3 IPSC inside of 800yd is no problem so like I said, it doesn't throw things too far off.

Velocity measurements have been consistent, and leaps and bounds above the optical chrono I used to use.

I use the sporter version, and it gives just enough information for me (still displays Avg, ES, SD, Hi, Low, etc.. just have to push a button to cycle through them). Get shot data 1 at a time instead of several rows at a time. The UI is much better on the V3, but wasn't worth the extra money to me. I also have had good luck using the Sporter version without any spacers in conjunction with my suppressor with the setting on "Hi 2" with everything except sub-sonic .22 caliber stuff.

I use the sporter version, and it gives just enough information for me (still displays Avg, ES, SD, Hi, Low, etc.. just have to push a button to cycle through them). Get shot data 1 at a time instead of several rows at a time. The UI is much better on the V3, but wasn't worth the extra money to me. I also have had good luck using the Sporter version without any spacers in conjunction with my suppressor with the setting on "Hi 2" with everything except sub-sonic .22 caliber stuff.

+1

You get ES, SD, Hi, Lo, Average with the Sporter, just have to hit a button to cycle through them. You can also get the XFR adapter for $25 and download the data from the Sporter to your iPhone/Android and use their app for a more full featured interface.

I've also had success with my Sporter on a suppressor, took out the spacer and strapped it directly to the can, sensitivity set to high.

My buddy has a V3 in the nice hard case. My Sporter is in a small plastic case that fits in a side pocket of my Midway drag bag. He is always using mine because it is at the range and he forgot to bring his along. I velcroed a small patch to the side of my chassis and another on the back of the display. My rifle shoots one inch low at 100yds so I adjust the profile in my kestrel and I practice with the Sporter atttached. Have to be careful on barricades and tank traps but it's not bad. Otherwise just get your load and use the Sporter to confirm velocity. As far as the strap goes, I have used mine for years with no issue. You get the strap tight, and then tighten the thumb screw. It's not rocket science. I use mine so much I have replaced the blast shield twice. I use the metal one now. I save my data with the XFR to excel sheets I have years of data easy to track and compare.

I've seen that those that have trouble getting the strap tight and it loosens up are not realizing that the buckle needs to be off of the barrel or it will not hold. I have used mine numerous times on my .338 LM for as many as 36 rounds at a time with zero slippage.

The buckle needs to be on the strap on the side, off of the barrel.

Whichever one you get, you will be glad you did, but I'll also say that the V3 has an advantage in my opinion. Mine gets used very often due to the convenience and it often gets used by friends and fellow shooters, because it's convenient.

POI difference varies between rifles and barrels, but I guess I'm lucky and get very little variation on my rifles.

good luck with your decision.

My buddy has a V3 in the nice hard case. My Sporter is in a small plastic case that fits in a side pocket of my Midway drag bag. He is always using mine because it is at the range and he forgot to bring his along. I velcroed a small patch to the side of my chassis and another on the back of the display. My rifle shoots one inch low at 100yds so I adjust the profile in my kestrel and I practice with the Sporter atttached. Have to be careful on barricades and tank traps but it's not bad. Otherwise just get your load and use the Sporter to confirm velocity. As far as the strap goes, I have used mine for years with no issue. You get the strap tight, and then tighten the thumb screw. It's not rocket science. I use mine so much I have replaced the blast shield twice. I use the metal one now. I save my data with the XFR to excel sheets I have years of data easy to track and compare.

What is the blat shield you mention? Where do you get them at..

V3 works great. Just need to take the time to set it up properly.

I'm sure the Sporter is just as great, but I have not used it before.

I believe he is referring to the metal cover that clamps on to the bayonet section of the unit. Mine came with a metal one, perhaps the earlier versions came with plastic. The area that is covered is subject to hot gasses from the muzzle and is protected by a shield of sorts. No need to buy one, the unit comes supplied with one.

Yes mine came with a plastic blast shield that lasted for a lot of rounds. Still worked, but started to look shoddy so I replaced it with the metal shield for a couple dollars. Again, I shot a lot of rounds through mine, it's not something an occasional user will need to worry about. If you want to see what they look like go to the MagnettoSpeed website they have photos.

Yes mine came with a plastic blast shield that lasted for a lot of rounds. Still worked, but started to look shoddy so I replaced it with the metal shield for a couple dollars. Again, I shot a lot of rounds through mine, it's not something an occasional user will need to worry about. If you want to see what they look like go to the MagnettoSpeed website they have photos.

LOL, That was supposed to be blast...

I'm going to break with the pack. I'm so sick of the crappy design of the V3, I could freakin spit. A few simple changes would have made the setup a breeze.

Whoever designed the strap /spacer setup needs their head examined. Right out of the gate I had to order a special tapered barrel spacer set because magnetospeed erroneously purports "most barrels are not tapered"......what???

Reminds me of my Dyson pull-along vacuum, with its "revolutionary bagless no-loss suction "but there is no place to stand the hose and wand. Every time I drop that thing on the floor, I think of that idiot-savant and his smug commercials.

In my very near future is a labradar.

I'm going to break with the pack. I'm so sick of the crappy design of the V3, I could freakin spit. A few simple changes would have made the setup a breeze.

Whoever designed the strap /spacer setup needs their head examined. Right out of the gate I had to order a special tapered barrel spacer set because magnetospeed erroneously purports "most barrels are not tapered"......what???

Reminds me of my Dyson pull-along vacuum, with its "revolutionary bagless no-loss suction "but there is no place to stand the hose and wand. Every time I drop that thing on the floor, I think of that idiot-savant and his smug commercials.

In my very near future is a labradar.

Hey Max, does that mean your v3 is going on the block? If so shoot me a price. I have a v1 from about the first or second run and wouldn't mind updating. Magneto speed's warranty is great also.
Not interested in the Dyson however. I enjoy watching my bride ride her broom side-saddle too much.

Hey Max, does that mean your v3 is going on the block? If so shoot me a price.

Hey! I don't have enough posts to sell here yet ;).

In fact yes, when I get around to getting a Labradar, the magnetospeed certainly will go on the "block". That's assuming it does not end up on a "chopping-block" at the range on the end of my tomohawk.

Last night I sat down and lettered all the spacer and rubber spacer with blue tape so I could keep track of which spacers work for which rifle. It's like they got to a certain point in the design phase and someone called coffee break.

* A simple fix would have been to label the spacers so the user could easily log them.
* A simple adjustment for angle, would have made fine tuning simpler, ESPECIALLY for tapered barrels.
* Don't tell me most barrels are straight. That's bullshit
* Optional plastic bore-dowels would simplify setup by leaps and bounds
* The webbing setup is ludicrous, trying to catch too many balls in one net. A simple clamp system with adjustments would have covered most rifles and also eliminated the idiotic spacers. The web could have been a backup for certain setups. Just like the rail mount is.
* A simple switch for turning the box on/off with auto timed shut-off options. It's 2017 for Christ sake.......
* Ability to email more than just the active string so you don't have to stop each string to do this. It 2017 for Christ sake ...:p

After using one a few times, and a Labradar a few times, I sold my PACT and Shooting Chrony, just put the CED M2 up for sale and will soon have my own MagnetoSpeed. I am keeping the Caldwell for backup. 90% of my Chrono work is done with a gun with a rail, so I got the rail adapter to use try out with a borrowed one and that...is the bomb.

I think I am going to try to build a bench mount for it so I can use it exclusively non-contact for the guns without rails.

Hey! I don't have enough posts to sell here yet ;).

In fact yes, when I get around to getting a Labradar, the magnetospeed certainly will go on the "block". That's assuming it does not end up on a "chopping-block" at the range on the end of my tomohawk.

Last night I sat down and lettered all the spacer and rubber spacer with blue tape so I could keep track of which spacers work for which rifle. It's like they got to a certain point in the design phase and someone called coffee break.

* A simple fix would have been to label the spacers so the user could easily log them.
* A simple adjustment for angle, would have made fine tuning simpler, ESPECIALLY for tapered barrels.
* Don't tell me most barrels are straight. That's bullshit
* Optional plastic bore-dowels would simplify setup by leaps and bounds
* The webbing setup is ludicrous, trying to catch too many balls in one net. A simple clamp system with adjustments would have covered most rifles and also eliminated the idiotic spacers. The web could have been a backup for certain setups. Just like the rail mount is.
* A simple switch for turning the box on/off with auto timed shut-off options. It's 2017 for Christ sake.......
* Ability to email more than just the active string so you don't have to stop each string to do this. It 2017 for Christ sake ...:p

I, uhm, don't have that much trouble with mine and use it almost every time out to the range when not shooting practice or matches. It takes me literally 1 minute or less to set up and I've even used my V2 on my suppressor. It fits, but I just have to be sure to only shoot 5 rounds at a time and then let it cool off a bit so that I don't burn the straps. I must be doing something wrong.

So you did'nt like the labradar?

I liked it. But I got some faults where it picked up another shooter and a few where it did not pick up mine. The first one I used was LowLights, then I borrowed one two other times. Shooting over a MagnetoSpeed, my Caldwell and the Labradar simultaneously, the Labradar had the most errors and failures to pick up shots. With the rail attachment, the MagnetoSpeed is just as easy to set up. I really tried to look at accuracy, repeatability and ease of use without considering cost or what I was already invested in. I know some people who shoot precision don't even care about Chronographing, but I do and I shoot a lot of different firearms to include pistols. subsonics and shotguns and I want chrono data. The Magneto seems the best suited to my purposes.

I liked it. But I got some faults where it picked up another shooter and a few where it did not pick up mine. The first one I used was LowLights, then I borrowed one two other times. Shooting over a MagnetoSpeed, my Caldwell and the Labradar simultaneously, the Labradar had the most errors and failures to pick up shots. With the rail attachment, the MagnetoSpeed is just as easy to set up. I really tried to look at accuracy, repeatability and ease of use without considering cost or what I was already invested in. I know some people who shoot precision don't even care about Chronographing, but I do and I shoot a lot of different firearms to include pistols. subsonics and shotguns and I want chrono data. The Magneto seems the best suited to my purposes.

Interesting. Yea missed shots are a problem. I was hoping it was less finicky than that.

I did buy the rail attachment for my magnetospeed. That, I think, is what really made me start to question the whole spacer/strap BS. It's became painfully obvious that the strap/shim system was a throwback to the knuckle-dragging neanderthal era. If I were just shooting rail guns that would cure a lot issue. Not least of which is the changing harmonics / POI.

Your bench mount idea has my wheels turning. Further, some sort of articulating arm that came off the stock, say between the bipod on the sling mount might work and would solve the poi/ harmonics issues. I'm going to have to ponder that.....on the AICS that arm could attach to the atlas bipod spigot. Hmmmm......

I also verified that it makes no difference if the bayonet is above, below or to the side of the barrel. My current thought is a front rest with an L bracket mounted on the side of the forward leg of the front rest. Put a 12" section of rail on the L bracket to mount the rail attachment of the Magneto Speed. I can change elevation of the muzzle by adjusting the threaded post on the front rest and the distance to the muzzle by movement along the rail. Then of course I will need to fix the elevation of the rear of the stock, but that should be easy to do.

I also verified that it makes no difference if the bayonet is above, below or to the side of the barrel. My current thought is a front rest with an L bracket mounted on the side of the forward leg of the front rest. Put a 12" section of rail on the L bracket to mount the rail attachment of the Magneto Speed. I can change elevation of the muzzle by adjusting the threaded post on the front rest and the distance to the muzzle by movement along the rail. Then of course I will need to fix the elevation of the rear of the stock, but that should be easy to do.

Yes, that had not occurred to me but makes perfect sense of course. Mounting could be sideways which might simply certain attachments via rail. My goal would be to come up with a mount to some part other that the barrel. This would allow a person to chrono during the course of normal prone shooting. This is what was appealing about the labradar.

Moreover the "threaded post" is exactly what I had been thinking about in terms of simple adjustments.

I have the v3 on order.But with 30 inches of snow it will be awhile befor I can try it out

iI does work and it is accurate. Label the spacers and order the tapered barrel ones so you have them (if it's not parallel to the bullet's path that could skew fps reading) Then keep a log of what you use each time. A cleaning rod makes setup SO much faster. Just be gentle on the muzzle rifling.

Hey all (sorry OP, I was late to the game) we sell both the MagnetoSpeed and the LabRadar units, and offer a discount for SH users - PM or call for details.

MagnetoSpeed V3
MagnetoSpeed Sporter

LabRadar

I use the MagnetoSpeed V3, and would be happy to answer any questions, just give me a ring (303) 443-0718. There has been a lot of great info here, and we even also have a blog post about the MagnetoSpeed units if your interested:
https://www.bisontactical.com/blogs/...peed-v3-and-v2

just to chime in on the POI shifts heres what I've been able to determine:

-POI shift will occur in 99% of set ups. this can be a solid shift, meaning not throw your OCW out the window if its attached correctly. Read the manual and see where the spaces its calling for,

-Have it tight on your barrel. If you dont have it tight enough, it will start to loosen up and/or turn on the barrel left or right. As it turns, it changes the pitch/yaw of the bullet and your POI will shift.
example: Shoot 2 shots with it attached correctly then turn it 90 degrees left or right. You'll notice a shift on your POI but it should be solid. The problems come when it wiggles loose and keeps shifting as you shoot.

-use a rail adapter if you can get it to work with spacing. that'll take out your issues for the most part but this isnt an option for many.

The V2, was the version just before the V3. It has a nice readout and hard case etc. It was completely replaced by the V3 and is no longer made. Hasn't been for years. It's not specifically set up for use on a suppressor, but as I mentioned, it can be done if you don't shoot more than about 5 rounds before letting it cool off (the straps, that is).

Love mine. Only thing I dislike is that you can't group test loads and chrono them at the same time. It throws the harmonics off when attached. Have to test for accuracy and then attach it to test for speed

Love mine. Only thing I dislike is that you can't group test loads and chrono them at the same time. It throws the harmonics off when attached. Have to test for accuracy and then attach it to test for speed
Yea some folks say it doesn't effect the groups but this is not my experiance.

My main interest is the velocity so I will have an idea where to start at with another powder if need be..I you get what i'm saying here..

i bought the v3 off amazon.. i use it over top a ultra 7 supressor. it takes a little bit to get it installed and properly below the bore. but it alot better than the old chrony

What are y'all seeing with load dev on carbon barrels? It's time to upgrade chronos and I'm tired of dragging a tripod around. If it's going to throw off an OCW test with a cf tube then I'll just need to put that money toward a Labradar.

What are y'all seeing with load dev on carbon barrels? It's time to upgrade chronos and I'm tired of dragging a tripod around. If it's going to throw off an OCW test with a cf tube then I'll just need to put that money toward a Labradar.

Interesting. Is there reason to believe that carbon barrels would behave differently in terms of harmonics?

Interesting. Is there reason to believe that carbon barrels would behave differently in terms of harmonics?

There's a potential. Most barrels act differently when you hang something off the front of them. Steel barrels generally like a different load when shooting them with or without a can, for instance. Carbon barrels are very harmonically dampened and consistent, but they have more flex to them when compared with a steel barrel of a similar contour. An OCW test is trying to find which load puts the bullet exiting the muzzle when the barrel's whip has bounced back toward the receiver, and the muzzle is relatively static. In a barrel that has more flex to it, I could see it being the case that hanging something off the end could change the way that it acts in regard to identifying your node, but I could be wrong. Which is why I'm curious to hear from someone who has tried it.

Get the V3. Done.

You probably don't need the Labradar, and you'll probably regret getting the sport version.

It was my 1st chrono. Quick, easy, does everything you'll need.