• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Magnetospeed First Impressions

HighRez

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 19, 2011
North Georgia
Knowing that I needed to get a chrono for serious load development, I've been doing some research for the last few weeks on what's out there. I've never owned a chrono, but I have used a couple owned by friends. The hassle of setup and the hit or miss results based on light conditions and placement drew me to the Magnetospeed. The reviews I read online and certainly the company's website propaganda seemed to make it a worthy investment. Well, the brown truck pulled up a couple of days ago with one, and it just so happened that my buddy and I were shooting at the time.

Now I ain't connected to Magnestospeed in any way, but for anyone interested I've got to say that using it is as easy as 1-2-3. 1 - Strap the bayonet on the end of your barrel. 2 - Plug the cable into the bayonet and the display. The display automatically powers up and defaults to a new shot series. 3 - Pull the trigger. Total time maybe two minutes ... it really is as easy as they claim.

I understand that the value of the unit is directly related to how accurate it is. The .308 load that I measured is a new load for me, so I've never chrono'ed it before. But the results were what I would have expected, and my experienced shooting buddy who owns a conventional chrono agreed. He was impressed too, btw.

178 gr. A-Max, .010 in
45 gr. Varget
Winchester Brass
Federal 210 primers

Average Velocity 2,666 fps
SD 8
ES 25

FWIW, I'm impressed and satisfied with the purchase. I'm happy to answer any questions best I can if anyone else is considering one. Thanks.

Bob

Re: Magnetospeed First Impressions

I bought mine here a few months ago and has been great. The only "problem" I had was when I was doing some load development for my Savage 111 FCNS (30-06) where the barrel was to skinny. I had to use a bandana as an insert otherwise it'd come loose after each firing. Other than that it has worked flawlessly.

In talking them up, there have been 3 or 4 guys from the range I shoot at that have gone and bought them as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenmongoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is 8 pages worth of reviews and questions here http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3231447#Post3231447</div></div>

Seems like the plastic clip on the barrel strap is a week point.
Anyone know if they have been re engineered since they first came out?

I'm going to say this tongue in cheek, cuz mine will probably break the next time I use it as a result...

With most things that 'cam' over there is a fine line between 'snug' and 'too damn tight'.

Most guys tend towards the latter - if snug is good, tighter must be better, and so on.

I get mine *just* snug enough it won't easily slip forward under recoil, and call it good. No breakage so far. Given that I can be somewhat... ham-fisted, with a decided tendency towards breaking things if it can be done so... that indicates to me that some people need to back off trying to tighten the piss out of things. It's an electronic instrument, and should be treated somewhat delicately in my opinion.

Maybe a metal buckle would be more durable... but sometimes designing a weak link in one spot *protects* some other component - like how many people who have broken the buckle probably would have either broken the strap or damaged the bayonet mount (much more costly/troublesome to replace) if the buckle hadn't given *first*... anyone familiar with the use of shear pins should have an idea of what I'm talking about.

YMMV,

Monte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to say this tongue in cheek, cuz mine will probably break the next time I use it as a result...

With most things that 'cam' over there is a fine line between 'snug' and 'too damn tight'.

Most guys tend towards the latter - if snug is good, tighter must be better, and so on.

I get mine *just* snug enough it won't easily slip forward under recoil, and call it good. No breakage so far. Given that I can be somewhat... ham-fisted, with a decided tendency towards breaking things if it can be done so... that indicates to me that some people need to back off trying to tighten the piss out of things. It's an electronic instrument, and should be treated somewhat delicately in my opinion.

Maybe a metal buckle would be more durable... but sometimes designing a weak link in one spot *protects* some other component - like how many people who have broken the buckle probably would have either broken the strap or damaged the bayonet mount (much more costly/troublesome to replace) if the buckle hadn't given *first*... anyone familiar with the use of shear pins should have an idea of what I'm talking about.

YMMV,

Monte</div></div>

Well put!
May just order an extra plastic clip and keep in the spare parts box just in case.

I agree with Monte. Those that have broken the latch have probably put way too much pressure on it. If you have to force it to snap together, then the strap is too tight. Back off and try again. It doesn't have to be ultra tight at all ... just enough to keep the bayonet in place under recoil. MagnetoSpeed says give it a tug and if it stays in place you're GTG.

The Magneto is a true game-changer. I sold my $800 chrono after testing this one side by side with it. The convenience opens new possibilities. For example, we have guys shooting entire F-Class matches with the chrono attached so they can try to understand whether their elevation shots are due to slower velocities. A lot of questions get answered in a hurry when you can use a chrono in a match. Good stuff: period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For example, we have guys shooting entire F-Class matches with the chrono attached so they can try to understand whether their elevation shots are due to slower velocities. A lot of questions get answered in a hurry when you can use a chrono in a match. Good stuff: period.</div></div>

That is thinking outside of the box. Very good idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> we have guys shooting entire F-Class matches with the chrono attached so they can try to understand whether their elevation shots are due to slower velocities. A lot of questions get answered in a hurry when you can use a chrono in a match. Good stuff: period. </div></div>

Interesting that folks are shooting for score with it attached. Street talk is that it will change POI. If there is a POI shift, is it consistent enough to feel comfortable using it during a match?

I emailed them today and the response was 2 weeks till they ship as part of the package.

This was supposed to respond to the when is the new buckle available.

The general consensus is that the shift in POI results from muzzle blast reflecting off of the sensor deck. Even when securely fastened, the device can most definitely move around on the end of the barrel, resulting in a slightly different affect on POI from shot to shot. Personally, I have enough to think about getting in the 10 or X ring even under ideal conditions. I can't imagine knowingly adding another potential external factor that could significantly affect POI during a match, but that's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The general consensus is that the shift in POI results from muzzle blast reflecting off of the sensor deck. Even when securely fastened, the device can most definitely move around on the end of the barrel, resulting in a slightly different affect on POI from shot to shot. Personally, I have enough to think about getting in the 10 or X ring even under ideal conditions. I can't imagine knowingly adding another potential external factor that could significantly affect POI during a match, but that's just me. </div></div>
I would have to agree that it might change POI from shot to shot and would not routinely attach it during a match. But if you are chasing a problem and trying to figure things out, this can be a huge aid.

My experiences mirror the OP's...even down to the load!

The POI shift is indeed real, but I've found somewhat caliber dependant. My .223 doesn't really move too much, but my .308 & .30-06 sure do. Frankly, that doesn't bother me, as groups basically will stay the same--provided you don't have 'shift' during the course of fire. That will in turn shift the POI a bit.

What I want is MV...and all the data associated with it. For that, the Magnetospeed is unparalleled in convenience and possibly accuracy (for the cost). I always 'verify' my selected nodes naked anyway (not me, the barrel :))

I got out with my V2 today and shot it on 5 rifles. It is fantastic. read every shot. and velocity was dead on from previously chrono'd loads that have been confirmed by shooting/drop.
My only suggestion and it is quite minor would be to number the spacers so keeping a list of what spacers to use for a given rifle could be just a number. Again this is just being very nitpickey. I tend to shoot the same 3 rifles in matches and a few other long range setups and chrono them a few times a year. I will always pull the bolt and visually check the setup but, a small cheat sheet with a number for each rifle would be easier than .260= thickest, medium,thin rubber.
I was concerned how accurate it would be but after today I have no concerns. It appears to be dead on. And, no going down range, trouble with lighting, ect... If you are on the fence about these, I would pick one up.

I have the V1 and am very pleased with it as well.
My poi shits up ~1moa but groups don't change. One thing i do is that i wipe the barrel and pad on chrono with alky to get off any lube before attaching it. One time my shots were moving around and it was due to the chrono moving slightly after shots.
Hasn't missed a bullet yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

After shooting my CED more than a few times - and seen what happens when you fire with your boresighter still in the barrel, I decided to get a Magnetospeed.
- It changes the POI, but it seems consequent - at least at 100y.
Very easy to setup and use.
As for reading speed, It seems to do that too :)

Pic is with the chrono at 6 O'clock.

Attachments

• Magnetospeed.jpg
    Magnetospeed.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 15
How does it work with a barrel that has muzzle brake on it?

I have two rifles with side ports only and with those it works fine... both barrels are heavy contours and one thing I have noticed is they don't share the same POI shift the non braked barrels have. With those two there has not been a change in POI. Anyone else experence this?

You'll always have a poi shift with the Mspeed. The closer the bayonet is to the path of the bullet, the bigger the shift. This is the only big drawback (other than use w many handguns) that the Mspeed has.

Nice shooting Sendero_man

I just recently took a Magnetospeed out and the only issue I had was having to re-adjust the bayonet after every few shots. After three shots the 4th wouldn't read since it moved too much. I'm sure I'll get the hang of mounting it better. All in all I like it. Plus its nice to see your SD on the screen too.

Have any of you guys shot in the rain with it? I was out in a field trying out some new loads, when a light rain hit. Well immediately my shots stopped hitting paper (or going through an existing hole, but doubt it). Water was beading up on the bayonet and I think when the bullet hit the water beads it deflected upward above the target.

Something to watch out for...

I've also stopped using it for initial load development, and only throw it on once I have load that shoots the best at 300 just so I can get my come ups. I'm 90% sure it doesn't affect groups as long as it's on snug and doesn't shift, but I've had it shift on me a few times and it will move POI enough to turn a 1/2 moa group into a 1 moa group.