• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed Sporter?

I have the spotter and it does everything I need it to, shot string FPS, Es, sd, and so on. Not the most intuitive thing for reviewing or deleting data but works. I thinking about adding the smart phone cable and seeing if it works any better. Overall well pleased with it

I personally had issues with the spotter recording shots. Either would get an error or just not record. The V3 is def worth the price

I don't handload, at this time, so the sporter does everything that I need it to. I haven't had any issues with recording shots. As a matter of fact, it even works great with my suppressors. When I decide that I want to spend enough to get a V3, I'll probably pony up for a LabRadar, so I can set it up once and use it with multiple rifles.

Last edited:
The electronics are a lot faster in the V3 vs Sporter. If you never make quick shots or don't mind missing a shot now and then the Sporter is great at half the price. Using the phone connection on the Sporter provides a better interface but adds another twenty or so dollars to the price.

Spend the extra dough... I was completely happy with the V3 - not so much with the sporter. I've since used the Lab radar and it is a great device. But, I'm very careful with it. The MS could roll around in the range bag and be fine.

Last edited:
My sporter catches about 3 outta 5,
Just sayin....

My sporter bought here in the PX has captured every shot.

Gives me what I need to develop reloads/compare velocities.

Still running on same 9 volt close to a year in service.

The blast shield will abrade. You can get a metal accessory one from the manufacturer (cheap) as well they will provide one free plastic replacement.

Im still on my first blast shield but have a metal one in backup.

Whats a blast shield?

Ok, I guess I havnt paid much attention to it.

Noted mine is kind of scarred up. Kind of surprising but I guess unburnt powder at 2600 or so feet per second will abrade the plastic.

Must be a big enough issue over time that they offer a free plastic one to those that want them and make a metal final fix.

At $4.99 they should just build it originally with the metal shield and call it done.

Mine barely fits around my brake. Still looks new.

Mine barely fits around my brake. Still looks new.

Wonder if the brake ejects a bunch of shit out the sides saving the shield?

No brake on mine, everything goes forward.

Yep, the brake protects it. All the shit goes sideways.

Sporter woks great with great customer service. Worth half the price.

Bought a Caldwell Ballistic precision chrono on ebay for 50. sold a week later for 80 on ebay b4 I even tried it on centerfire. Then bought a sporter on ebay for 140. Took a bit of changing sensitivy settings and moving it forward and back and getting it closer to barrel..but once I got it dialed in it rarely misses one. For some reason I get more errors with 22lr then with 6.5 CM. I listened to a podcast once long time ago..im pretty sure I heard Colin Burns of BaliisticXLR saying the magnetospeed sporter actually has less error factor then the V3? He had some really technical and tactical terms to explain his reasoning:) So if he's wrong..contact him.

Reactions: Shankin McStaby
Well I have 2 Magneto Speed so I'm gonna get around to a LabRadar. The LabRadar has a few more functions that are pretty useful and it's has a phone app now, like the Magneto Speed.
The Magneto Speed's POI when on your barrel very predictable/repeatable and a lame argument to the contrary.

The POI shift isn't much at all. During My last shooting trip with some 'Hide foolio's... After confirmation of my zero at 100, shooting 5 rounds over the MS to get velocity, and trued my BC at 525. I decided to experiment to see what the POI shift would be. I went from center-punching a full-sized IPSC at 525 yards to impacts moving down and left about 5" or so. So, a ~1 moa shift. I was happily surprised because I'd heard so much about the dreaded "crazy POI shift" and thought it was going to cause me to miss entirely. But then again, I only use this MS magical thing to get my initial velocities in the given conditions. Once I get that initial data, the MS comes off and I start killing steel

My barrel is a Proof M24 prefit 24" on my RPR. On a thinner profile barrel, it would likely have a greater POI shift I think.

Reactions: Shankin McStaby
Sorry for resurrecting a really old thread. Looking to pick up a sporter and the poster above alleviated my worries on POI shift, but I'm wondering if I do load development with the sporter attached, are my group sizes going to be significantly off as well? If there is fluctuation, is the variance across the board pretty equal? Thanks

I do load development with the sporter and a 6.5 CM. The POI shift is minimal.

You will want to do velocities sepeate from group size and zero. It does seem to change. I have the sporter works well except when it's cold out. It will miss shots. I wish I would have went with the v3 just to be able to use for hand guns as well.

I’m running mine on a Wiser mount so no issues at all.
On the barrel it almost always offsets the impact.
I usually develop the load then confirm speed anyway so not a big deal but I got the Wiser to confirm actual vertical and see ES/SD at the same time out of curiosity.

Reactions: IowaGeologist
Sorry for resurrecting a really old thread. Looking to pick up a sporter and the poster above alleviated my worries on POI shift, but I'm wondering if I do load development with the sporter attached, are my group sizes going to be significantly off as well? If there is fluctuation, is the variance across the board pretty equal? Thanks
There will always be poi shift . Usually repeatable .

Group size IMHO seems to open up a touch , there may be that one flyer where you thought it was a great shot but paper shows otherwise.

Use it as a tool , get your data for the load and take it off when shooting for groups or look into one of the offset mounts offered by Mk machining

My group sizes are consistent.

POI shift is 1/2 inch higher with it than without.

Actually benefits me by keeping my POA clean of shot holes.