• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed v2

One of the best pieces of equipment you could own. Set up is as easy as pie, results are very accurate. Superior to most other chronos. And, I have gone through a few other types before making the right move to the Magneto.

If you don't have a barrel over 1", would you just get the V1? It's basically the same thing without the adjustability, right?

I have a couple of guns that I never take the can off and staying subsonic is the key so I need the extra room.

I have found that when the suppressor is on these rifles the velocity is higher with a given load. It is less than a 10% difference but when I am trying to stay between 1025 and 1050.

Last edited:
I got tired of all the environmental stuff you have to deal with on a regular Chrono. I got this from a fellow hide member and have not looked back. It's like a Chargemaster, expensive but after you get it you say to yourself, "why did I wait so long?"

I like mine. I only shoot at public ranges, so you dont have to deal with all of the hassle to set up.

Awesome piece of equipment!!!! For all you V1 owners out there, you can contact Magneto Speed and get just the bayonet to make your V1 into a V2.

How much do they effect bullet impact. I am curious how much it will effect load development
??
There is no effect on the bullet at all a there is no contact or even near contact. I used one on my rifle for the first time this weekend while checking MV of a load and I have to say that I cannot see myself ever getting a standard old chrono ever. Unless I'm missing something, this is the best thing since sliced bread.

I haven't experienced any deviation in point of impact with the Magneto Speed.

I would think having the little extra weight on the barrel could change poi on ladder test and change the results. Maybe I'm over thinking it and being paranoid. But I'm wanting one cause I can't get my ced millennium to work

I shoot with a can, accuracy is the same, poi is about 1/2 inch low on three different rifles.
The v2 is a bit of a hassle with the shims switching between rifles. Way easier
Than my ced

How much do they effect bullet impact. I am curious how much it will effect load development
Just so you don't get misleading anecdotal information . . . this is from the manufacturer's web site:

=============================================================
Can the MagnetoSpeed affect barrel harmonics (e.g. the location and size of my shot grouping)?

Last Updated: Dec 31, 2012 12:41PM CST

Yes, with most guns you will be able to see a shift in your point of impact. Some people say it has no affect on their guns so it seems to be a case by case basis. Group sizes seem to be relatively unaffected though by the MagnetoSpeed.

=============================================================

(Gotta love the ". . . you will be able to . . . " language. Good writers there lol.)

I've seen POI shift on each of my four rifles (2 Rock River AR15s, Sako 223, Rem 700 30-06). Moreover, the POI will shift differently depending on where you attach the strap, and how tight the strap is. This leaves open the opportunity for the POI to shift during firing and from group to group. While I am 100% positive the MSpd has *always* changed *my* POI (vs without), in the half-dozen specific tests I've run I cannot say that groups are larger with the MSpd attached than without.

I continue to use my CED chrono whenever possible for load development. When it's not possible, or its too much hassle, I'll make up extra rounds in each test group and use the MSpd to get velocity separate from POI assessment.

While that deprives me of knowing what velocity the actual load development rounds achieved, it ain't a horrible way to go. MSpd setup is a dream, no waiting for the range to go cold, no worries about weather or light conditions, nothing to hit with a bullet :)

Those are the facts. The "best" approach is up to you.

Do some searching on the Hide. There was a thread which compared the results from the MS V2 with other chrony's and looked at poi shift. Quite a few guys found there was a poi shift up but that was V1.

Help me out here, I am not trying to sound like a jerk. Why would you need to do a ladder test with a chrono? I understand if you are trying to keep it within a certain window, but otherwise, just do the ladder and then after you find the good one, chrono it? I guess it depends on what you are creating the load for, but I cant see a reason to chrono until you have a load you are satisfied with. Any thoughts contrary to that?

I've never shot over a Chrono while trying to shoot groups. Shoot over it, get your speed for a ballistics calc or whatever your getting speeds for and move on. I have played with a buddies and I'm going to buy one when I get some spare cash mostly because the range closest to me house doesn't allow Chronos to be setup on the range but they had no problem with this.

Help me out here, I am not trying to sound like a jerk. Why would you need to do a ladder test with a chrono? I understand if you are trying to keep it within a certain window, but otherwise, just do the ladder and then after you find the good one, chrono it? I guess it depends on what you are creating the load for, but I cant see a reason to chrono until you have a load you are satisfied with. Any thoughts contrary to that?

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a great piece of equipment.

Paul

I've got the Prochrony, beta chrony, ced mellinum 2 and the V2. The V2 is the best thing out there since sliced bread as far as getting it set up and shooting. No worry with cords, screens, and lighting. If your worried about POI, which hasn't messed up my poi btw, find a good shooting load , then get your #'s. I've always found it very interesting with the V2 to see my cold bore shots then followed up by the velocities of a warmer barrel and chamber. I've had zero issues with Thruster or Shrewd Brakes also. My #'s are spot on because real world LR shooting has proved it.

IMHO a chrono is not to be used during load development. Develop your load and then use chrono to get your numbers.

I mainly use a chrono to find out how consistent I am reloading, consistency of a load, (es & sd) and to get a rough number to plug into my ballistic program. After that all dope is done by shooting and adjusting the program

I got tired of all the environmental stuff you have to deal with on a regular Chrono. I got this from a fellow hide member and have not looked back. It's like a Chargemaster, expensive but after you get it you say to yourself, "why did I wait so long?"

18Echo hit the nail on the head -- I actually said those very words after both purchases...

Here's a tip - if you use the Magnetospeed with a number of different barrel widths/cans, etc; make yourself a little chart of the appropriate spacer/rubber combination for each host and tape that in the case. You can do that at home some evening when the range is closed, and that way you're not wasting range time trying to figure out the appropriate offset to get shooting...

I'm no pro on any of this I just thought it would be nice to have as much info as possible. I am gonna be doing a ladder on my cheytac this weekend I'm always open to learning more about all this. Thanks for the replies

My thoughts exactly. Sounds like a great piece of equipment.

Paul

A barrel may have multiple "nodes" and if the shooter has a minimal velocity number in mind then he can choose to explore one node vs the other based on velocity at that given point of the ladder.

A barrel may have multiple "nodes" and if the shooter has a minimal velocity number in mind then he can choose to explore one node vs the other based on velocity at that given point of the ladder.

That's why I said "I understand if your are trying to keep it within a certain window".

A ladder test will not be valid with any device attached to the muzzle. It will act just like a tuner. These operations need to be done seperately to get any valid results.

Paul

This chrono is looking more and more like the winner. Do any of you use your magneto speed on an AR platform? I'm wondering if the hand guard may get in the way

This chrono is looking more and more like the winner. Do any of you use your magneto speed on an AR platform? I'm wondering if the hand guard may get in the way

depends on how close to the muzzle the hand guard ends.

I've got one rifle where I clamp the chronograph onto the rail system as the barrel is only about 1" beyond the rail.

Its a nice setup because the chronograph isn't touching the barrel, the rail system is free floating. That way the chronograph isn't disturbing the barrel at all.

After last nights outing, I believe the muzzle attachment affects the POI. Groups were a bit bigger with it mounted then without. I'll still love it though!

I can't believe that you guys wouldn't expect the unit to affect POI. Of course anything strapped on to the barrel will effect the point of impact! By the way I have a V-1 and love it!

IMHO a chrono is not to be used during load development. Develop your load and then use chrono to get your numbers.

If the load isn't giving the velocity I need to keep the projectile supersonic at the range I want to shoot, then its a bust.

If the ES on the load is 125, then no matter how accurate it is at 100yds, its not going to be usable at long distance.

Awesome piece of kit. Just get it and have no regrets.

You should see the stupid results we have with chrony etc (temp dependent).
Now whenever we shoot with new conditions (esp temp) we take round or two with the Magnetospeed attached and the ballistics solutions are spot on.

You absolutely do get a POI shift. Sometime almost nothing but up to 1.5-2.0" - even on heavy barrels. It doesn't seem to affect the group size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't understand why POI shift is such a problem. As stated earlier in this thread; wouldn't you just develop your load without the chrono and then get velocities once done?

I don't understand why POI shift is such a problem. As stated earlier in this thread; wouldn't you just develop your load without the chrono and then get velocities once done?

I just got mine and this is my take on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Those of us who find it an issue:

1) like to have chrono data for the rounds we actually shot during load developement, and/or
2) are concerned that the attachment band might loosen or slip during a group and change the POI, and/or
3) have residual concerns that (according to the manufacturer) attaching the MagnetoSpeed only "seems" to have no effect on group size.

But the device is so easy to use, under all conditions, that it's often worth compromising having chrono data for the rounds actually used in load development.

Last edited: