• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MagnetoSpeed V3 Accuracy Rating

varmint slayer

Area 419 OG
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2010
NE, WY
Does anybody know what the accuracy of the new V3 is? I've looked all over and maybe not hard enough but I couldn't find it anywhere. If anybody knows please post it up. Thanks!

Does anybody know what the accuracy of the new V3 is? I've looked all over and maybe not hard enough but I couldn't find it anywhere. If anybody knows please post it up. Thanks!

Here's what I received from Ivan after my inquiry to MagnetoSpeeds' help desk the other day:
"As far as the accuracy goes, compared to high speed video footage we were within the .1% error range in a laboratory environment with perfect setup. Realistically speaking in the field the average shooter can expect in the range of 99.5% or better accuracy."
Hope this helps.

Ok cool. I only ask because it seems like its on the high side with my .243 and a little on the low side with my .338 Lapua. Actually it appears to be way fast (100 fps) as compared to what I actually need to get on target at 950 yards. The scope is a Kahles 6-24 AMR and I double checked the tracking on it and it is fine. Tracked perfectly or as close to it as I can shoot. 10 mils at 100 and hits on dots 36" apart. Actuall adjustment was 6.2 mil for 950 or about 3050 fps and the Magnetospeed is telling me 3160-70 or about 5.7 mil for 950. I'm a little stumped. Bullet is a 105 Hornady HPBT.

Last edited:
Ok cool. I only ask because it seems like its on the high side with my .243 and a little on the low side with my .338 Lapua. Actually it appears to be way fast (100 fps) as compared to what I actually need to get on target at 950 yards. The scope is a Kahles 6-24 AMR and I double checked the tracking on it and it is fine. Tracked perfectly or as close to it as I can shoot. 10 mils at 100 and hits on dots 36" apart. Actuall adjustment was 6.2 mil for 950 or about 3050 fps and the Magnetospeed is telling me 3160-70 or about 6.7 mil for 950. I'm a little stumped. Bullet is a 105 Hornady HPBT.

Your actual adjustment was 6.2 Mils for 950 yards which translates to 3050fps, and the Magnetospeed is telling you that the bullet is running 3160 fps and it needs MORE elevation to get to 950? Do you have that backwards?

Ok cool. I only ask because it seems like its on the high side with my .243 and a little on the low side with my .338 Lapua. Actually it appears to be way fast (100 fps) as compared to what I actually need to get on target at 950 yards. The scope is a Kahles 6-24 AMR and I double checked the tracking on it and it is fine. Tracked perfectly or as close to it as I can shoot. 10 mils at 100 and hits on dots 36" apart. Actuall adjustment was 6.2 mil for 950 or about 3050 fps and the Magnetospeed is telling me 3160-70 or about 5.7 mil for 950. I'm a little stumped. Bullet is a 105 Hornady HPBT.

Don't forget a lot of ballistic programs assume that the chronograph is 10 or 20' away, the magnetospeed is closer. I've found it changes the calculations a little bit. Not much though.

This past weekend I compared my new MagnetoSpeed V3 against my Oehler 35P and the differences between the two readings were insignificant. I was shooting a TAC 300 with 208 AMAX with 72.0 gr. of 7828SSC. The difference between the two average velocities was less than 10 fps. The 35P was setup ten feet from the muzzle and had the lower of the two readings.

Yeah I changed the chrono distance to 0 and it makes little to no difference. I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad batch of 105s or something. I never used a chrono in the past. I always just shot at distance and reverse engineered it. My MV before I changed powder lots was determined with the shoot and adjust method and I estimated it at 3200 or so. My buddy had a V2 and I was curious to see how close I was to what the V2 would say. It came up 3214 avg which is pretty damn close to what I estimated. After that day I decided to get a V2 but then decided to wait for that V3 after seeing the results and ease of use. So with the previous results being so close and that chrono reading the same as my V3 on this new load but the dope not matching up has me puzzled. Scope checks out, zero is good, range is correct (terrapin), parallax adjusted out ect. Only thing I can think of now would be a bad batch of bullets that is effecting the BC. They shoot the same at 100 but not at 700 plus. Anybody have any ideas?

Check the MV with your buddy's V2, even good Chrono's can have a bad run or a few bad units. New barrel? I don't know if you remember this but I borrowed your Terrapin on like stage 5 or whatever at the Trigger Time match because my rounds were hitting high at 700 yards. Paul was scoffing because they lasered the ranges with a Terrapin but I was pretty sure something was up. Turns out the range was correct, but my Creedmoor barrel had picked up almost 200fps in MV through the course of that day.

New barrel, different lot of powder, different conditions (several thousand feet different DA), BC on the bullet is off a bit?

Are you using a G1/G7 BC or the custom curve on your AB Kestrel?

Same barrel as thing Trigger Time Match, different lot of powder, DA about 1000ft different and BC (.530) is what I have always used and it has been very close. All of that stuff could change but the chrono should be able read any speed regardless of of all of those elements changing. I ran some Berger 105 Hybrids across it and I got them to them 3160 or so according to the chrono and then shot them out to 950. Same result. About .4 mil low using 3170 fps. Needed to true it to310-3120 or so to get it to line up. So that pretty much rules out a bad batch of bullets as I am seeing just about the same result with the Bergers and Hornadys. My other buddy with a V2 is going to compare his to mine and see what it looks like.

Try the custom curve and the MV the magneto is giving with the AB Kestrel for shits and giggles, I'm curious if you get the same answer that is hitting low

I'll have to try that tomorrow. I won't be home till then. On a side note my buddy in Texas just got a V3 and it seems to be showing 100fps or so fast as well. He is going to run the V3 and a CED M2 at the same time and see how it looks.

My buddy in Texas ran his CED M2 and the V3 inline and the V3 was about 60-80 faster than the CED with the CED being about 15-30 fps faster than what his actual dope is.

Did he adjust for the distance between the muzzle and the CED M2? Its always going to be faster at the muzzle

I don't think so but I can't imagine the speed diff being more than 5-10 fps just messing with the chrono distance in Ballistic AE.

Interesting. I just got my V3. Previously used a buddy's V2 and it's been spot on the $$ out to 1200 with my .260/142 SMK. I'm hoping to test mine tomorrow if the storms aren't terrible...

We have a Magneto Speed v3 and on two different guns, it was within 15 fps of the calibrated velocity from Shooter (the app) out of a 6 Creedmoor and a .308. Coincidentally we also had a CED M2 and that was giving slower velocities as well, about 40-100 fps slower than both what Shooter calculated and the Magneto Speed.

Chronographs don't measure velocities that accurately , they do measure differences in velocity well . I think from memory my old Oehler manual advised of an accuracy of +/- 15%

Yes agreed but you only have to understand how its calculating velocity to see why the error can be so large . It's such a basic device no matter how they dress them up .

The Magnetospeed is considerably better than 15% and their testing showed it to be 99.9% accurate when compared against high-speed video. I've been using one for about a year and can say without a doubt, this is one reliable chronograph.

Well so far mine and a buddies are nothing to write home about. I have a few more tests to do and if i cant get better results then it's going back for them to test it. I've already wasted a considerable amount of time and ammo with it. I'm almost ready to just send it back and stop wasting hard to find components.

Recheck your setup of the unit paying particular attention to the alignment and gap of the sensor to your bore. Correct shim selection is important. Ensure the strap is tightened good and snug. I have every reason to believe my MagnetoSpeed gives me better than 99% accuracy and most users report the same.

Reactions: Rogerthatout
I have used both the V2 and V3 versions with the same rifle and ammo four days apart. As an example of consistency between 5-shot groups with each, my average speed differed by only 4 fps and the standard deviation differed by 6fps between the two units. This is statistically insignificant. As to accuracy, I shot a 5-shot group of Federal Premium 140gr Trophy Bonded Tip hunting ammo through my 7mm RM (preparing for a late season Elk hunt here in CO). The factory spec was 3150 fps; since my range is roughly 5,500' MSL, I expected faster speeds...and got them. The load chromed at 3,273 fps average with std. dev'n. of 12 fps.

I believe that the design and execution of the Magnetospeed product is a major improvement over traditional chronos. It is insensitive to light conditions and works consistently. I obtained both units from MidwayUSA and have no involvement with them nor Magnetospeed.

FH

Recheck your setup of the unit paying particular attention to the alignment and gap of the sensor to your bore. Correct shim selection is important. Ensure the strap is tightened good and snug. I have every reason to believe my MagnetoSpeed gives me better than 99% accuracy and most users report the same.

Yeah I adjusted the height several times from below the bore about 1/4" to about 1/8" above the bottom of the bore with no change is results. I have an email in with Magnetspeed to see what they think.

Anything strapped onto your barrel is going to run the risk of some king of harmonics issue , some barrels will see no ill effects at all but others will . Quoting 99% accuracy and SD's is fine shot to shot because most chrono's will do that but 99% accuracy of the exact velocity is a nonsense as none of them will do that .

Anything strapped onto your barrel is going to run the risk of some king of harmonics issue , some barrels will see no ill effects at all but others will . Quoting 99% accuracy and SD's is fine shot to shot because most chrono's will do that but 99% accuracy of the exact velocity is a nonsense as none of them will do that .

I'm guessing you're saying that it may have 99% repeatability but not 99% velocity accuracy. I'm curious as to the basis of your assertion.

Not to change the topic but there was a mention of chrono distance and how the ballistic calculators figure. With Ballistic AE it allows you to input the distance to the chrono, playing with that number in does make a noticeable in output data.

10ft to 0ft in Ballistic AE at 3170 with a .530 G1 BC at my elevation is only .03 mils difference at 1000 yards (pretty much max range this rifle is used at). I'm see .4-.5 mil difference with the V3 data vs actual data.

I have a V2 in my hands right now that has proven to be accurate to what my actual data in the field looks like so I'm going to run it and the V3 this week and see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

If none of them will do that then how do you know none of them do that?

Check out their test against a grid using high speed cameras:

Forum Reviews for MagentoSpeed Ballistic Chronograph | MagnetoSpeed

10ft to 0ft in Ballistic AE at 3170 with a .530 G1 BC at my elevation is only .03 mils difference at 1000 yards (pretty much max range this rifle is used at). I'm see .4-.5 mil difference with the V3 data vs actual data.

I have a V2 in my hands right now that has proven to be accurate to what my actual data in the field looks like so I'm going to run it and the V2 this week and see what I can come up with.

I'm interested to see if they report different MVs

I'm not knocking chrono's as i always use them however , i use them for obtaining ES's shot to shot differences and for giving me a guide on the actual velocity . weve shot through a pact XP and on through a 35P with a V2 on the barrel and no chronogragh gave the same average even taking into account the greater distance of the 35P away from the muzzle . We found 30-40 ft/sec difference between the V2 and the Pact XP and the 35P was around the same velocity as the pact even though it was around four further away .
Our drops as far as conditions would allow tied up better with the Pact XP when we put details and chrono distance into Bal AE but there could be many factors that may have been hidden within that conclusion .
Using the traditional chrono with the bullet creating a shadow over the infrared photo cells which basically starts and stops a stop watch over a given distance is not going to get you a Copley Medal . We found that even the way your target cards were placed on the backing boards had an effect on velocity , put them vertically and no issue but place them horizontally and velocities changed due to the slightest difference in the angle of which the bullet passes over each cell . Didn't mean to bash anyones chrono as we all need them !