• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Magnification for shooting @ 600 yards

limitz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
About to buy a new rifle, a Tikka T3 lite in an aftermarket Bell and Carlson stock. However, I'm not sure what kind of scope to get for shooting up to 600 yards.

I'm looking at the SS 3-9x42, but was afraid the 9x wouldn't be enough. My other option is the Bushnell 4200 3-12x44.

Mainly, I want an upper magnification that's versatile enough to be shot at 600 yards, while not giving up too much field of view at 100-200 yards. What do you guys think?

Re: Magnification for shooting @ 600 yards

Depends on the size of your target... but i believe common consensus is 1x per 100 yards. So 600 yards is 6x on the scope for a man sized figure?

Reactions: Clowncar

I have a leupold vx3l 3.5-10x56 on a Remmy 700 that I shoot deer with at 600 yds. I think 10 would be fine but 12 wouldnt hurt. I also keep the scope on 10x at 200 yds too I dont see the need to change it. It depends on what your shooting at really.

Shooting deer sized game either will work. Shooting small critters you may want more mag.

I think the 3x-9x you were already looking at would work.

What are you doing with the scope at 600 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you doing with the scope at 600 yards? </div></div>

^^ THIS!! ^^

Let your intended purpose(s) for the rifle, target size(s), the conditions under which you'll be shooting, etc. dictate the minimum and maximum magnifications you'll need in any scope.

Max distance you'll be shooting, in and of itself, is only a part of the equation.

Reactions: screaminyz

Target shooting at 100-600 yards at the local range, and hunting deer to about 300 yards max.

I'm in Georgia, so there's pretty dense forest, lots of bush, and tons of hills; basically, a lot of cover and not a lot of open plains.

Main thing is, I don't want to overmagnify game at the 100-300 yards and give up a lot of field of view. Is a 12x scope too much power for a 150 yard shot on a moving target? Conversely, I'm afraid a 9x is not enough for target shooting at 600.

My hunting scopes I like to keep on about a 3 to 6 power, or more when needed. When target shooting, I run a 5.5-22 Nightforceon 22x. So, for 600 yards, a 3-15, 4-14, 3-12, power is good, and even a 3-10 is doable. I also look at the features of the turrets and how easy/difficult it is to dial elevation into the scope. I also run a 1-4 power Burris XTR on an AR-15, and we've shot it to 800 yards. So, it comes down to knowing your scope and ammunition well to make those hits.

What size targets are you intending to engage at 600yds and what level of precision is acceptable?

If you target is the size of a Volkswagon Beetle and all you care about it hits then 3X would easily suffice. If you're shooting LR BR and want to try and resolve your individual bullet holes then 42X (mirage permitting) would not be out of line.

The scope has to match your intended use.

There are no "one-size-fits all" scopes, but there are some EXCELLENT options that will give you an ample field of view for wooded areas or areas where you may need to acquire a target and take your shot quickly at lower magnification, but while still giving you ample "juice" for the longer range shots if you crank up the magnification.

Specifically, I am thinking of the Nightforce 2.5-10x32, the IOR 2.5-10 (and 2-12x options) if you have the budget. If not, then the 3-9x SS should be a good choice. Finally, the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x is an excellent option.

I routinely use a 10x optic out to 1k without any issues, but it all comes down to knowing your rifle, scope and the targets you are shooting, as well as knowing your comfort level and individual needs in terms of do-able magnification at any given range.

Good advice. Furthest I've shot out to right now is only 200 yards, but I'm getting a membership to a 600 yard range soon. Basically, I don't have much experience in distances like that.

You mentioned a 10x is "doable" at that range. Would you say a 9x is not enough scope to achieve a tight group at 600 yards? For the record, my day to day shooting is going to be at 200 yards.

I wouldn't mind a high-upper magnification (4-14, 3-15, etc), especially when shooting out even further. Unfortunately, living in Atlanta means that the closest 700+ yard range is at least a 3-4 hour drive. Even the 600 yard range is a 2 hour drive. I just don't see myself ever having the opportunity to even shoot at 1000 yards. Even the 600 yard shot will be an occasional treat when I can bite the bullet and drive 4 hours.

something like a 3-15 will cover all the bases up to 1,000 but without too much power at the lower end for shorter distance. 10x should be fine and you won't be able to tell the difference vs 9x if that is what you are asking.

Thanks, that's basically what I'm asking

I think I might just get the SS 3-9x42. Doesn't sound like I will be sacrificing too much with a 9x over a 12x, and a 600 yard shot definitely seems doable with a 9x scope. The 12x scope might make shooting easier at 200 yards, but I also could just man the fuck up and learn how to shoot straight with just a 9x.

Lastly, what's a quality scope like that doing for only $599? Amazing value for the money, I've heard only good things about the SWFA SS line.

This is one of those things that is really personal preference. The "1X per 100 yards" thing is probably a good rule of thumb for a minimum magnification on man sized targets / "practical" shooting sort of thing. For target / precision game I know I prefer more mag than that, but some don't.

Mirage and conditions permitting (and a stable shooting position), I'll take 20-ish mag for anything past a few hundred yards. I just like being able to really get in there and see what's what. Personal preference, and you can certainly make hits with less. For what you're describing with a realistic cap of 600 yards, I'd probably opt for a 3-15 / 4-16 type scope.

Very good point. Last question, and perhaps an important point I haven't really thought of.

What is the minimum magnification to resolve a bullet hole at 600 yards? What about at 200 yards?

I think having the ability to see exactly where the bullet lands after every shot is very important learning tool. I won't always have a spotter with me.

Limitz, in my experience resolving bullet holes at 600 yards in all conditions will take some great glass. I have used NF 3.5x15x50 F1 and have been very happy with it at the yardages you are talking about. I have a leupold 12x40 spotting scope that has been nice with a tmr reticle. I would have to say resolving bullet holes with it at 600 yards would take perfect conditions.

It sounds like you may want to do a fair amount of shooting groups out to 600 yd. This type constitutes the bulk of my shooting and I definitely want more mag for that than what most others listed above. I have NF 3.5-15x50 F1, 5.5-22x50, and a new 8-32x56 I purchased for F-class comps. I just ran the F1 at 600 the other day shooting a black 18" target with a red 1.25" bull and for me, 15x is barely enough mag to see the holes at that distance. I use the 12" or 18" Shoot-N-See targets and I usually cover up the yellow lines and numbers with a fat black Sharpie, leaving only the red bull. This is because a shot on the line can be very difficult to see.

I'll admit that my eyes aren't what they used to be, but spotting .308 holes in a splatter target at 600 using 15x is at the extreme limit of what I can see. So for that purpose, I do much better with the 5.5-22x or 8-32x. There are definite trade-offs to using the higher mag such as exit pupil, FOV, etc. But if you want to spot holes at 600, 9x <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> not be enough, depending on how good your vision is. On the other hand, that is really what the spotting scope is for.

Unless the mirage is really bad, I can easily spot the holes using 22x (or higher), so only rarely do I actually <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> to use the spotting scope with either of the higher mag scopes. However, 15x is pretty iffy for me in that context, even with the splatter targets. If you want less mag on a higher power scope, you can dial back under the right circumstances, but if you want more mag and your scope is maxed out, not much you can do. Just something to keep in mind when thinking about your intended uses and deciding what scope will best suit your needs.

If you don’t plan on shooting closer than 100 yards then a lower magnification of 4-10x is fine. Your rifle sounds like a hunting rifle thought and for that a might want something with less mag. Take a look at the Minox 1.5-8 I thought it was nice on a guy’s rifle at the range. They also make a 2-10. A number of sites are selling out demo for not that much.

For hunting I usually go with a 3X9, but most shots are 200yds or less. For shooting on the bench I use a 4.5x14 and its good well past 600yds. I have a couple scopes that go to 20x, but find them overkill. Remember at the higher power everything is magnified (breathing, heart beat, heat waves...). To see those bullet hits you need a good spotting scope that goes 30x or 40x.

3.5-15x50 NF would be the best compromise, everything is a compromise, for your intended use. Especially if you are considering using it for hunting. And no 3.5 is not too high for game at 100 to 300 yards.

I think a quality fixed 10X or 12X may be all you need. Recently shot an informal 1000 yd competition with about 20 guys and the winner used a fixed 10X. Having said that I prefer the higher power scopes myself (I really like the NF 5.5-22 a lot).

I would recommend the NF 2.5-10x32. It has adequate light gathering and is small in size for what it can do. Also it's nice to have the lower power of 2.5. It's not uncommon for me, even with the wide open country I'm in to surprise a deer at 75 yrds. I would not go larger than a 3x12...I say this with a grain of salt with regard to NF for personal reasons (meaning despite my difficulty with NF in general, the scope I recommended will suit your needs well)..

I shoot a NF NXS 5.5-22X... the last competition I never dialed it past 11X without issue. I was shooting steel out to 1070 yards. If you are more worried about groups and seeing your holes; then you have 2 choices - a high mag scope or a spotter.

My best advice I could give you would be to join that range and shoot with what you have for now. See what others are using and try their equipment if possible. Figure out what is more fun for you - groups or extended range hits. It is much better to do some hands on research than blow time and cash on the wrong equipment for you based on some BS advice us retards here gave you.

Also, you'll probably be surprised that 600 isn't that much different than shooting 200 except the bullet takes a little longer to get there!

Have fun.

Its REALLY up to personal preference. Many on here rave and stick by the 10x at 1000 yards, but I have a 6.5-20 and on my last shoot at 250-1050 I would find the targets at low mag and turn it up to 20 for shooting. An 8 inch target at 1050 yards, isn't very easy to hold on with low magnification, but as others claim it is still doable. If you say you mostly shoot at the range at paper, then the higher the magnification the better for that purpose. For hunting it would be completely opposite, as lower magnification is the winner because of field of view.

If you can live with the size a 3-15X would be a pretty good do all scope. If you'll never or rarely need the 3X and can live with 5X, I'd go with the 5.5-22X. I'm using the offerings from Nightforce as examples.

I seen the general rule of thumb (1X for every 100 yards), but I've never found it to be helpful. I tend to shoot at targets that are minute of angle in size and the 1X for every 100 yards thing just doesn't work for me. My general rule of thumb is to get as much magnification as I can, while still accomodating the shortest range that I might be shooting at.

Personally, I've settled on two scope to cover pretty much all of my bases. The 2.5-10X32 and the 5.5-22X50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the SS 3-9x42, but was afraid the 9x wouldn't be enough. My other option is the Bushnell 4200 3-12x44.</div></div>

6500 in either 2.5-16x50 or 4.5-30x50. For hunting I'd rather have the 2.5-16x which is quite enough for 600y target shooting as well. If you can live with a 4.5 then a 4.5-30x would work quite nicely for both applications.

Minox ZA 5 4-20x50 is a good option as well.

Ended up going for the Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42. Found one on samplelist for a great price ($539) at Demo-B quality. It was within my price range, so I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks to all that responded; does anyone have any suggestions for rings? Low? Medium? High?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About to buy a new rifle, a Tikka T3 lite in an aftermarket Bell and Carlson stock. However, I'm not sure what kind of scope to get for shooting up to 600 yards.

I'm looking at the SS 3-9x42, but was afraid the 9x wouldn't be enough. My other option is the Bushnell 4200 3-12x44.

Mainly, I want an upper magnification that's versatile enough to be shot at 600 yards, while not giving up too much field of view at 100-200 yards. What do you guys think?</div></div>

i think you should complete your profile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

i think you should complete your profile </div></div>

BOLTRIPPER strikes again
grin.gif

... and makes me laugh again... good choice limitz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately, living in Atlanta means that the closest 700+ yard range is at least a 3-4 hour drive. Even the 600 yard range is a 2 hour drive.</div></div>

Limitz, check out Gun Site Hills in Lexington, just the other side of Athens. Steel targets out to 700 yards. I shot there for the first time last week. It's a nice setup and Chief is a hoot. Depending on what part of town you're in you can be there in about an hour-30. www.gunsitehills.com.

Bob