• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report MAGNITOSPEED & GROUPS

oldfatguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2008
Huntsville, AL, USA
Just starting to use a Magnitospeed to find MV to go into ballistics calculator. And then there is the OCW run to find a good node w/o the Magnitospeed. Question is: any experience with how the chrono clamped to the barrel effects group size ? Not really concerned with shift of POI, just group size.

OFG

I've used the Magnetospeed for a number of years now and I've experienced groups getting worse, groups staying the same, and groups getting better with the Magnetospeed attached to the barrel. It all depends on the load, and I suspect, the barrel profile.

The dasher m24 profile barrel I am shooting now shoots good without the magneto on but it shoots ridiculously good with it on. No poi shift on it. I have a rifle I can’t tell any difference with it on and I have one that groups the same with a slight poi shift.

Get a MKM or Wiser precision magnetospeed mount and move on.

Of course hanging anything off the end of your barrel can effect it positively/negatively/or if you are lucky not at all.

You won’t regret a mount system like I mentioned

I shoot with my magnetospeed on all the time. Rifle is zero'd with it on. For me it makes no difference to groups whether it is on or off. If you develop a good load with it on then it will shoot good groups with it on.

The issue people have is they use it for load development and get a load then take It off And groups go to crap or vice versa.

I don't shoot prs or positional stuff all shooting is prone and the data it provides to me both current and over time is huge in my view so that's why I use it all the time. My observations over many shot strings of 40+ shots are many peoples loads including mine are not as good as good as you think. The 5-10 shots people run over the chrono with a ES in the teens etc with pics all over Facebook are bs.

The data is good to have and if your like me and record and analyse everything it's fun but really just Believe the target every time.

On two different barrels, I have noticed a POI shift, but not a shift in group size. But, that is just my experience.

Today's chrono after 1k rounds no cleaning with the sporter attached.

Same day no sporter attached.

Center cold shooter, cold gun, then top left, top right all with game changer as rear bag. Bottom left was a change in rear bag, not enough fill. My first club match next week, will clean, foul, and retest.