• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Magnum Primer Question

aqualung

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2008
Co. Durham, North of England
Hi Guys,

Stupid question time.

I have been offered a lot of Small Rifle Magnum Primers. AT THE RIGHT PRICE! BUT, the load I have worked up is this.;

Howa 1500 Varmint 1:12 twist.
Winchester Brass.
Vhit N133 powder 24grns.
Underneath a 52grn A-max or a 55grn V-max
powered by a Federal GM205M primer.

Now, my question is this...
How much do I need to drop my load by if using Magnum primers.
Will there be any degradation of accuracy using Magnum primers (PMC) instead of the standard Federal GMM primers?

The accuracy in my Howa is fantastic, like 0.5MOA, 1 hole groups at 100 yds with the current load. BUT, can I achieve that kind of accuracy with the Magnum primers. 5000 are on offer.

I've never felt the need to use Magnum primers previously, even though Magnum primers are recommended in the Sierra manual with W760 powder in 7mm-08Rem, which is my go-to gun. Accuracy with the standard primers was VERY good as well.

HELP!!!

Do I take the Small Rifle Magnum primers, at a good price, OR do I swap them for standard Large Rifle primers instead? (Same price)

Forgive me if I'm not quite making sense, I'm watching "Fight Club" after having drunk a bottle of red wine, & now I'm on the Port!

CHEERS!!

Neil

Well I may be drunk, but I'm not fucking stupid!!!

Just answer the fucking question.

Will I have to change my load and will I be able to get the same level of accuracy if I substitute SR Magnum primers for STANDARD SR primers??

IF you were paying attention you might have noticed that I also shoot 7mm-08Rem. This uses LARGE RIFLE primers.

I have an option of buying LARGE rifle primers for ALL the LR type calibres I shoot OR SR Magnum primers for my .223Rem.

NUMPTY!!

N

I have been reloading for 20 some years and have found that some primers are hotter than others no matter if they say magnum or not, I know that doesn't help much as far as saying you can use the same load, what I would do is reduce my load a bit and work it back up, you might find that it works with the current load.....I have been using SR mag primers in some of my loads for the very reason you are looking to use them, price and availability, and some worked with the same loads and some need tweaking....hope that helps....

Yeah, you can't assume that just switching to the small magnum primer with no other changes will be satisfactory. If you do, I suspect lower velocity, and a change in point of impact. The way things are, buy both. You will not regret it. BB

I shoot mostly old military rifles but have found regular Winchester LR primers are hotter than some magnum primers .That said Win primers seem to work good in powders in the 4064 to 4350 area and the Federal magnum work good on slow powders like 4831. If your are loading to near max in a modern rifle I would drop the charge a little to test those primers to see how they respond to pressures .Arnie

Thanks for the input Guys.

I already have a stock of Federal GM 205 M primers, I was just being greedy when 5,000 PMC primers were being offered at the right price.

Truth is, I am lazy, and don't want to start working up new loads for Magnum primers in my .223 when I could swap the SR Magnum primers for LR primers and just truck on. However, I guess, if I change primer brands, I'll have to work back to a load that works anyway.

My main concern was a change in the achievable accuracy if I switch to Magnum primers. Anybody have experience with PMC SR Magnum primers/Vhit N133 combo??

As I may have intimated, I have NO experience of using Magnum primers, so I don't know if they're better/worse, or just the same as standard LR or SR primers.

Thanks again for your help/input Guys.

Neil