• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnum primers in a .308 load

RetiredFCC

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2012
Florida
Did a search but didn't find anything. I know it's an odd question but I figured if anyone would be able to answer, they would be here.
I have several K of large rifle magnum primers that were given to me by a friend. I have no "Magnum" rifles and am curious <span style="font-weight: bold">what adjustments to my loads need to be done to use them in .308W loading</span>. I am currently loading with Varget and IMR 4064 and know that "magnum" primers aren't needed for these powders, but because the primers were free, I'd like to use them.
Thanks in advance for the help. - Tim

Re: Magnum primers in a .308 load

Currently my PET load is 44.4gr Varget under Hornady 168gr BTHP for my Rem M700. Similar load with the IMR 4064. The magnum primers are Winchester WLRMs

If i were you i would back it off a good ten percent to say 40 or 39 and work up. They do have a considerable amount more umph...if that is a word. I do know people have done it with ok results

I was thinking the same thing just couldn't find any hard data. I'll work up a ladder test with both powders and see what my rifle likes. Thanks for the help with a starting point!

I have use the Winchester magnums in 308 with varget. As other have mentioned. I would back of 10% and work back up. Saying that. They worked with no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RetiredFCC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did a search but didn't find anything. I know it's an odd question but I figured if anyone would be able to answer, they would be here.
I have several K of large rifle magnum primers that were given to me by a friend. I have no "Magnum" rifles and am curious <span style="font-weight: bold">what adjustments to my loads need to be done to use them in .308W loading</span>. I am currently loading with Varget and IMR 4064 and know that "magnum" primers aren't needed for these powders, but because the primers were free, I'd like to use them.
Thanks in advance for the help. - Tim </div></div>

Speer exclusively uses magnum primers in all of their rifle work-ups, when using ball powders.

They feel that they get better powder ignition with the hotter/longer spark when using denser ball powder columns.

Not everybody does this, but Speer is a big player in the reloading data game.

Chris