• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

magnum primers?

mhptrooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
I accidentally bought 1000 CCI 450 primers, and cannot return them--I'm trying to reload for my .223. My buddy says that in his Speer book it shows them using the 450's, but my Sierra book says remington 7 1/2's (standard primers) can I use the 450's--or should I just load them in my 454 Casull? Thanks-I think I'm right, just looking for a little backup...

Re: magnum primers?

You may have to work up your load using them, 1/2 to 1 grain lower. If your using a ball powder mag primers are recommended. There has been some debate on using thinner primers like CCI-400's, a lot of folks use the 450's fulltime for the thicker cup.

I use the 450's with all of my loads.from ball powders to stick.and I have yet had any problem useing them.but if your still not willing to use them just send them my way.wouldn't hurt to have a nother brick on hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer mag primers for stiff loads in 223's and other larger rifle rounds with a small rifle primer. </div></div>

It DOES have a hotter flash.

Where did you get 454 Casull cases with a small pocket? 450s won't fit in a Casull case.
Develope the load for a 223 with a 450 primer and there is no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mhptrooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I accidentally bought 1000 CCI 450 primers, and cannot return them--I'm trying to reload for my .223. My buddy says that in his Speer book it shows them using the 450's, but my Sierra book says remington 7 1/2's (standard primers) can I use the 450's-</div></div>

The last 15 years I must have shot over a dozen big boxes of 450s in my 223 loads with no issues. Do your sensible load development and you will be just fine.

It may or not matter, but I will be shooting these rounds through my sabre M4 & A4 rifles, so I don't know if the semi-auto will be finicky about it...I know that probably won't matter with my XCR...Thanks!

You will be fine, don't sweat it. If the book reloading data you are looking at was done with standard small rifle primers, then your max charge will be about .5 to 1 full grain lower than the listed max.

Also, if the data is 223 Rem, it is only to 52K psi. If your rifle is a 5.56 chamber (like most AR's), you are good to 62K psi. So, you can take the 223 data and add a grain or two to make a 5.56 round. But like anything, work up to max loads slowly and watch for pressure signs.