• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

magnum research 22 wmr in to 17hmr or 17hm2 ???

Porter24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2011
Ohio
I am in the process of getting a magnum research 22 wmr, my question is can you convert that into a 17. platform. If so are rugers bolts and barrels interchanceable with magnum research's stuff

I had a Magnum Research 17HMR which was super accurate, BUT, also had 5 case head seperations. One of them destroyed a magazine, the another ruined an extractor. The last one spit pices of brass into my biddies hand and side of his face which was DEF THE LAST STRAW, as I returned it to Magnum Research and got my money back. Long story short, 17 HMR just doesn't work in a semi auto 10/22 platform. Volquartsen has made it work if your in the market for a $2,000 17hmr.

that is not what I wanted to hear, but i guess i could sell it. Just not worth getting someone hurt over it. Don't ruger 10/22 mags. interchange with 17hm2

ONLY Ruger 10/22 22LR. mags can accept 17HM2, but the ammo is super hard to find. I would just enjoy your 22 mag for what it is, I also had one of those and it would nail squirrels/turtles out to 250-300 yards all day long. Mine liked Winchester Ballistic Tips if my memory serves me correctly.

Remington had a recall on their semi auto 17hmrs. The case is a bottle neck where as a 22mag is a straight neck. The bolt opens before the pressure is gone because there isn't any locking mechanism. (look at an ar15.) The 22 mag and lr get by because the neck isn't tapered.

I'd just stick with 22 cal for semi auto rimfire, unless you want to step up to some high dollar setup to delay opening the bolt. Not sure how Volquartsen does it, I'm imagining some modified .AR15 bolt with a tiny recess and thick-ass extractor. :) ;)