• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

magnum reserch lone eagle 30/30 question

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
any one had one i have a guy wanting to trade me one, i read good things on internet and reviews on 3 different chat forums, but i haven't talked to anyone who has had experience with it.

Re: magnum reserch lone eagle 30/30 question

I have one in 308 and it does have some issues. One is the really crude trigger pull that it has. The trigger engages in a notch in the action rod which you cock with the cocking lever on the left side of the gun. There is no adjustment of any kind with the arrangement, so the weight and overtravel make precision shooting difficult. When the trigger releases the action rod, it slams backward against the transfer bar which pretty much acts like a rocker arm in an engine. The transfer bar redirects the energy foward to the firing pin. The firing pin is another issue. If you dry fire the pistol with the breech ring closed on an empty chamber, the firing pin will break in short order. Magnum Research did send me a new one, free of charge but that was years ago. They're a simple design that you can make yourself on a lathe out of drill rod. The last issue, which may apply only to my pistol and not the majority, is that mine has excessive headspace. Any brass fired out of it is thrown in the garbage. If I attempt to reload it even once, I start to get head separation. The nice thing about the gun is that the rotary breech gives the gun a very compact size for it's barrel length. Too bad the concept wasn't executed a little better in regards to the trigger mechanism. If you're looking for a 30-30 pistol, I'd look at a Thompson Center instead.

very cool, i traded the guy he got here way faster then i thought he would my cousin has high interest in it he got a rem 700 LA i want so it all work out

bad shot i tried to pm you but your not accepting pm so i hope you see this, i was wondering if you could email me the tear down and parts list of the gun i need to be able to take this thing down and fix anything on it as well as clean it, im sure it has never had a going through. thax please pm me ill give you my contact information

I'll see if I can scan the owners manual as a .pdf document and email it to you. Then you just open it with Adobe Reader.

the firing pin was broke after fully disassembling got one on the way from MRI they where really good to work with also the charging handle had stress crack in it so i have it on the mill tomorrow, will post a video on you-tube on correct take down and cleaning. their is not a video on their and also will talk about the firing pin as well as head spacing scene you have problems with it.

thank you very much for your help bad you have a good night

I was able to lighten the trigger pull weight on mine by cutting loops off of the plunger spring. Badshot nailed the major design flaw of the lone eagle. The lock time is forever and after all of the parts have slammed together and you finally have ignition, your cross hairs will not be where you wanted them. Single shot pistols are capable of extraordinary accuracy but the lone eagle is very hard to shoot well.