• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MAGNUM RIFLE GONG by Caldwell

mildot326

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2004
So I'm interested in this target, looking for something to shoot at >600m.
Any folks out there with first hand knowledge of the quality and fit & finish?
Any leads for the "best" price on the web?
Thanks

223375-support-1_zps79961bfd.jpg

I would contact one of the site sponsors. For $100 you can get a lot of steel and build your own stand.

Portable-ish
targetstand.jpg

Permanent
67abb6b7.jpg

That an excellent suggestion, and one worth considering. One of the features I like about this stand is that it can be assembled and disassembled without tools.
Is the size of the "gong" 10 MOA at 100 yrds and good standard size?
Thanks

There's just no way. I mean nothing against Caldwell, but ... how to put this ... they do not make high end equipment. And yes the quality of the steel matters. Even the cheap steel in the stand matters, cause if the stand fails, you're trudging a long way and/or your day is done.
I had one from OSUArchitect where the stand took HELLA abuse, and it's finally done. And it was well made! Some jackass (not me) even holed the target with steel core or AP. Which reminds me I need to order another skull and stand from him ...

I made my stands out of threaded black iron pipe. Easily unscrewed and taken apart. I also used fire hose instead of chains to hold the steel. Learned that one the hard way.

This works very well if you can get the hang of cutting the belting in strips. Annoying at first but well worth the effort when finished. Cheaper than chains and lasts a lot longer.

I got the belting for free. I need to figure out how to punch holes in it to run the bolts through. Will a drill bit work? Or will it gum up?

Drill bit will work just fine for drilling conveyor belt. Problem with the tubular steel stand is if a bullet goes awry...:( I started with chains, but now use conveyor belt or old fire hose. 3" fire hose works great , and lasts a long time if you can find it. I'd also recommend using AR steel from one of the site sponsors/dealers. I like JCSteel Targets, he's close, and the proceeds support a troubled youth ranch.
Get some grade 5 or 8 bolts, and some larger washers to keep the nuts from pulling through the hose.
Any of the board target dealers/businesses are top notch, and their products get tested. Buy some and shoot the shit out of em.:D

Last edited:
If you know somebody at the local VFD they usually have some condemned hose laying around. It comes in 50 and 100ft sections, so you can hang alot of steel.

I have AR500 targets from both JC Steel and Big Dog. I would recommend either. Great prices, and service has been top notch. I have not used Caldwell targets, but have used other products of theirs, and have not been impressed.

its fine for what it is.. its very over priced if you look at it from a size of target vs cost aspect. I have made several AR steel targets I do not want to compete with Bigdog or JC. I would buy from them before I would buy the Caldwell

This is a very simple and cheap target and stand. The stand is just 3/4" rebar. The fire hose was free. The steel is just 1/4" mild steel I had behind my shop. For 500 yards and beyond, plain ole mild steel does just fine. No need for AR500 if you are shooting atleast 500 yards and smaller than a 7mag. Most of my shooting is 6mm and 6.5mm stuff and one of these plates like the the one shown will hold up to 1000's of rounds.......as long as its 500 yards and beyond. This one is quick/easy to set up with one person and fits in the back of the buggy.

3AD3F285-BC70-4978-B325-8E714C30F3AE-39506-000006781ECA56FA.jpg

If your going to buy a Premium Steel Target. Please don't get that Caldwell target. It's simply a cheap set up.

Buy a target from myself or Big Dog Steel and have it for life. Done!

As far as stands we sell Rebar stands for $20. They work great. Or you might be interested in our T Post stands. Lightweight and super strong.

Hit us up if you need anything.

Have a blessed day

Jake

Dont waste your time with the Caldwell. The stand is junk. As previously suggested, get something much better from JCSteel or BigDog here on the 'Hide'. You will end up spending less for a higher quality product...

I have bought steel(ar500) from a couple of the guys on the hide. I would not go cheap on your targets. I think 3/8 at 4-500 and beyond will last you for several barrels on your rifle. Unless your shooting some of the big dogs(338,375,50). Btw if you can use something like mine belt do it instead of chains.

Targets are from JC Steel. I made the hanger myself. It is rebar welded to 1" pipe. The cross bar simply sits in the 1" pipe and is held in by the tension of the angled legs. Very simple if you have a welder or a friend with a welder. The hose comes from a roll of transfer hose I got from Harbor Freight. It has taken lots of hits and is full of holes but I have yet to shoot through one. JC Steel is highly recommended.

-Dan

Screen shot 2014-03-27 at 10.53.22 PM.jpg

I have two of these and I really like them. The big bonus to these is portability. They break down and fit flat in your truck and take up no room at all. Some of these DIY targets require bigger heavier bulkier stands. I shoot mine between 500-700 yards. You can definately push it out farther but my practical limit is where I can no longer calculate first round hits. At 1000 yards the target may be 1 moa, but your rifle really needs to be capable of shooting 1/2 moa (so if you aim at the center, there could be 5" of error in any direction and itll still make it on steel. Also, the plate is really 9" wide and 10" tall.

I also take the steel plate off and hang a 24" x 24" piece of card board from it and tape paper targets to it for grouping at 100 yards. works great

Another +1 for JC Steel and their lightweight re-bar target stand brackets.

Living in rural MT there's an interesting local source for rubber belting that works great to hang steel....Go to any Tractor dealer who services/sells ROUND BALERS. The balers use a system of 14-18 inch wide belts to make a round bale. They REPLACE these belts from time to time and generally throw them away. I picked up HALF of the belting from a baler and it's a lifetime supply for sure.

I then CAREFULLY cut the belt lengthwise with a razor knife on a piece of plywood. Cut to length...use a hole punch* and a hammer to make a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole. Hang and shoot.

* NO idea of the proper name...same punches one sees at a saddle makers shop.

Edit.... THIS is what I have but mine are old, made in the USA punches. Easily sharpened and cut a very clean hole. Not made in China like these guys.

Hollow Punch Set - 9 Piece

You get the idea.

Last edited:
Just bought 40 cm AR500 steel and my brother build the stand - works fine, no tools needed to set up