• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Magnum suppressor?

Ithaca12

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2011
North Dakota
This has probably been asked a number of times in this forum. But I'll ask it again.
Give some recommendations on a can for .300 win mag and down.
I would be useing this on multiple rifles-.300 win, 7mm mag, 6.5x.284, 7.62x54r psl, 5.56.
How does the YHM compare to the rest, the reason being a locale dealer has the .30 YHM in stock. Wondering if any one has experience with this model on a magnum.

Re: Magnum sup cans?

I have used my SWR Omega on a 7wsm, 7saum, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243 AI, 6x47L, 223 Rem.

Just make sure whatever can you get, that it is rated for a 300win mag. You can use it on everything down after that.

I see thunder beast make a new upgraded model 30tp or somthing like that. What is the weight of your 7RM and how much recoil reduction does it seem to have and DB reduction?

Look into Shark Suppressors. I use the Tigershark on my 300WM and it's the best sounding can I have for 300WM. David also has interchangeable rear caps so you can switch rifles easily with his supplied wrench. Nice system.

Re: Magnum suppressor?

You wont be dissapointed if you pick up that YHM, theyre only downfall in my opinion is weight. Up against TBAC, Shark, SWR, SRT at a night shoot the YHM and TBAC were quietest (SRT also, but it was the extended magnum version), and YHM and TBAC were only ones to completely hide muzzle flash.

Ive also run multiple full auto mags of 5.56 through it and it takes it like a champ.

There is no doubt the YHM is built like a tank. I have a few and several shooting buddies run them as well. If you really want the comfort of shooting magnum thru it... Get the 338 Phantom

I second the 338 idea. That way you're prepaired for the future. With AAC's current price structure on their 338 stuff, you can get into a Titan thread on pretty cheap.

If you don't mind the extra weight, look @ the YHM 338 can. My shark jaws and the YHM weigh the same amount but the YHM is 1/3 the cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see thunder beast make a new upgraded model 30tp or somthing like that. What is the weight of your 7RM and how much recoil reduction does it seem to have and DB reduction? </div></div>

Ya I believe it is the 30p-1. I shoot an AIAW 7 mag now so it is fairly heavy. I used it a bunch on my Gap 7wsm which was much lighter. It does a good job with recoil reduction, as well as DB reduction. The tone is pleasant to the ears as well. But this is subjective to the end user. As far as DB reduction goes, I would try to hear cans as well as just reading the DB reduction stuff.

If I were to use a .30 cal suppressor on a 5.56 how much less effective will it be. Or a using a .338 on a 6.5 or 7mm. As of now I want to roll out the cash for only one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were to use a .30 cal suppressor on a 5.56 how much less effective will it be. Or a using a .338 on a 6.5 or 7mm. As of now I want to roll out the cash for only one. </div></div>

A 338 will actually be more effective due to the increased volume inside the can. If you only want to buy one, get the 338.

Unfortunately, they are like lays potato chips. If you want to shoot 22LR (I know you didn't mention it) you'll need a dedicated can due to them being so filthy.

if you call a few suppressor commpanys, they will probably tell you that their .30 cal cans will work on a magnum type round if the barrel is so many inches long. i would check with whosever you're thinking about purchasing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were to use a .30 cal suppressor on a 5.56 how much less effective will it be. Or a using a .338 on a 6.5 or 7mm. As of now I want to roll out the cash for only one. </div></div>

A 338 will actually be more effective due to the increased volume inside the can. If you only want to buy one, get the 338.
<span style="color: #CC0000">
<span style="font-weight: bold">Unfortunately, they are like lays potato chips.</span></span> <span style="color: #33CC00"><span style="font-weight: bold">If you want to shoot 22LR (I know you didn't mention it) you'll need a dedicated can due to them being so filthy.</span></span> </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Exactly right, IMO</span>

<span style="color: #009900">Not always true. I have no trouble shooting my 300 WM suppressor with 22's. The gunk has yet to build up after more than 3000rd of 22's through it, but I don't exclusively shoot it on a 22. It gets mixed in with a lot of 260, 308, 223, 7/300 WSM rounds.

Those seem to keep it from getting gunked up badly.

I also have Slip 2000 on hand and that does a fantastic job of cleaning a suppressor without hurting baffles, stinking things up, or eating some of the various steels and aluminum parts that some suppressors are made from. It's cheap too, Brownells sells the stuff.</span>

How often should I clean my centerfire suppressor?

jk... Dont forget, a dirty can is a quiet can. I can hear my new SS Mite getting quieter every time I shoot it and not clean it. Pretty soon its going to be a sealed can...oh well.

Also put several thousand rimfire rounds through my 30cal can and does not even look that dirty, would never think of cleaning it.

YHM will tell you that their 7.62 Phantom is good for any 30 caliber, magnum or otherwise. My dealer has over 15,000 rounds through one, about half of that full auto, with no problems. He has seen other makes fall apart under full auto fire. Obviously, full auto is different than heavy magnums, but is probably more demanding in that you have at least moderate stress at very high temperatures.

As for cleaning, after 600 rounds of 308 and probably a couple of hundred 223 through mine, I didn't even get dirty solvent out after a soak. I know of others who only clean after firing corrosive ammo, and all they do is flush with water, submerge in WD-40, and wipe off the exterior. Of course, this is a guy that welded his Mite together with full auto 22 fire (American 180). He twisted the threaded end off trying to take it apart, and YHM wants to fix it (for free) but it still works so he'll keep shooting.

I am thinking seriously about the yhm 7.62 phantom mostly because I have a dealer close by that has them in stock and also the price is a little closer to what I'd like to spend.
I would probably be using it on 6 different rifles so the quick attach would be real nice. It looks like the YHM is pretty darn tough but how does it rate in the accuracy department?

I notice absolutely no accuracy degradation. However, there is a large POI change, and, at least in my case, you have to develop a load for with and without suppressor. I just noticed this the other day since it was the first time Ive shot my 308 without the can in about 1.5 years. Shot a 5 shot group unsuppressed and it was about 2 moa, then shot three 5 shot groups back to back and all marked sub .5 moa.

Makes sense when youre hanging a almost 2lb weight from the end of the barrel that it would change the harmonics.

Would a lighter one have less effect on POI? Not that it would make a difference, once I would know the change I can adjust for that each time. Does taking it on and off affect the accuracy, say you take it off of one gun then use it alot on another then install it on the original one, would the impact point be different? Would it have to settle in to that rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a lighter one have less effect on POI? Not that it would make a difference, once I would know the change I can adjust for that each time. Does taking it on and off affect the accuracy, say you take it off of one gun then use it alot on another then install it on the original one, would the impact point be different? Would it have to settle in to that rifle?
</div></div>

POI would be less with a lighter can. My shark jaws weighs 38 oz (2.5#) and it requires a repeatable 3 moa adjustment. My AAC requires a 1 moa adjustment. On/off should be repeatable as it is with my shark and AAC can. As long as you tighten the can to a repeatable torque, you'll be okay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking seriously about the yhm 7.62 phantom mostly because I have a dealer close by that has them in stock and also the price is a little closer to what I'd like to spend.
I would probably be using it on 6 different rifles so the quick attach would be real nice. It looks like the YHM is pretty darn tough but how does it rate in the accuracy department? </div></div>

Mine has been very accurate. My rifles shoot just as good with or without with the same load. POI shift depends on the rifle. I get from as little as .1 mil shift right to .5 mil down and .3 mil left on the thre rifles I use it on. It is very repeatable for each one. Only complaint is weight and the new Ti Phantom is rated the same I believe and much lighter.

I haven't shot my 308 without the YHM phantom very much so I don't know what the accuracy affect is, but I can say I have a number of hand load 7-round groups at 100 yards that are well under an inch, so I can't complain. I would expect a POI shift, though, especially on a lighter barrel. On my poodle shooter, it is around 6" at 100 yards.

I was able to fondle the titanium phantom last weekend - my dealer has one - and they are much lighter than the stainless version. Nice gray color, too. That would help with balance on a longer barrel.

i am a big HTG fan i saw on there website that they are now building cans for the big magnums

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only complaint is weight and the new Ti Phantom is rated the same I believe and much lighter. </div></div>

As far as I know it is not full auto rated, still magnum I believe though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joseph V.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I were to use a .30 cal suppressor on a 5.56 how much less effective will it be. Or a using a .338 on a 6.5 or 7mm. As of now I want to roll out the cash for only one. </div></div>

</div></div>

Not necessarily, Goin'Hot. Some of the effectiveness of the sound dampening lies in the diameter of the baffle and end cap apertures. My 338 can suppresses 338 much more effectively than it does 308. I could swear that the 308 is actually louder than the 338 with the can on.

Well, I know that the shark does a great job on the 308. Its freekishly nose heavy because it weighs 38 ounces. And yes, we know, he's coming out with a lighter unit.

If the 308 has a shorter barrel (as most really cool ones do) the pressure will be much greater at the muzzle. This will increase the amount energy in the form of noise and heat. Most 338's have at least a 26" barrel. 308's are commonly ran @ 20".