• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul AICS mags... why?

Wut why thats dumb as fuck
Really??????????????????????

One round less than full capacity in any magazine means the spring isn't compressed all the way to the bottom and the follower has a little room to straighten out.

It doesn't seem dumb to me at all.

Reactions: 308pirate
They work ok with factory ammo in my savage smoothly feeding FGMM 260.
They suck donkey ass in my Nuke.

Really??????????????????????

One round less than full capacity in any magazine means the spring isn't compressed all the way to the bottom and the follower has a little room to straighten out.

It doesn't seem dumb to me at all.
I had a good laugh when I read what b6graham posted. I could see a guy sitting at his keyboard on a Friday night, his 3rd or 4th tall boy in hand, thinking it would be so damn funny to stir up some shit in this thread. Just my warped perspective. I'm on my 2nd whisky.

Reactions: Oldloser
I had a good laugh when I read what b6graham posted. I could see a guy sitting at his keyboard on a Friday night, his 3rd or 4th tall boy in hand, thinking it would be so damn funny to stir up some shit in this thread. Just my warped perspective. I'm on my 2nd whisky.
Fuck it, let’s go.

So far I haven’t had an issue with a 10 round mag on a 12 round stage. I’ve timed out plenty, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not due to adding one or two in through the port, especially with a sap 2 round holder.
1619836242770.jpeg

Reactions: rhsc
They work ok with factory ammo in my savage smoothly feeding FGMM 260.
They suck donkey ass in my Nuke.
The same story was told decades and decades ago if you had a Remington 740/742/7400 in 30-06.

Some mags fed flawlessly, some were shit from the word go.

I tried something with the MagPul mags that didn't work out too well. I have a Remington 700 in .243, and I wanted a DBM system for it. Dropped it into a MagPul Hunter stock, and it feeds like it was made for it with the 3 mags I have. Then I decided that it was really the bottom metal and mags, I was after, so I took the original stock, a mag, and the bottom metal (plastic) to my gunsmith, and had him inlet it a bit for it. I was so happy. Fed perfectly. Well, Once home, I ran into that "tuning" problem you guys with the high dollar chassis systems talk about. The magazine I gave him fed perfectly, but my other 2 drug on the bolt. Seems they set too high in there, so it went back in the hunter stock where it feeds smooth as butter from all 3...

Picture1.jpg

If I can get it figured out, I'd like to put the .243 back in the maple stock, but with all 3 mags not dragging on the bolt. I have a SPS Tactical in .223 I'd like to drop in the Hunter stock, but then that will require metal mags (or possibly the MDT ones) seeing as how MagPul saw fit not to develop a .223 version... I really love the feel of the Hogue stock, but the fore end just isn't all that solid.

Funny you said that, I just poured my second whiskey sour, BECAUSE my tall boys are gone!!!!!!!!!!!! Sours on Friday, sippers on Saturday.

I'm trying to keep it polite and on the civilized side, but shit always has the potential to go sideways without warning!!!

Happy fucking Friday!

Reactions: 308pirate and rhsc
I also use the Magpull mags. New guy and only one match in but all good so far.

One nice bonus with them is you can get plus 2 or 3 base pads from MK Machine for 20$ or so. I have 2 plus 2 and one plus 3.

Years of USPSA teaches you to download your mags whenever possible!

10 rounds in a 12 round mag and 12 rounds in a 13 round mag.
So you spend $20 to add zero capacity with a plus two so that you can "save" a $10 spring? All you are doing is front loading the cost without the promise of longer life versus three standard springs with no extension.
In a pistol it makes sense. It will see hundreds of cycles over the course of a season. By the time you put that many rifle rounds through a magazine to cause the spring to fail, the cost of the spring is moot compared to ammo, barrels, ect.

So you spend $20 to add zero capacity with a plus two so that you can "save" a $10 spring? All you are doing is front loading the cost without the promise of longer life versus three standard springs with no extension.
In a pistol it makes sense. It will see hundreds of cycles over the course of a season. By the time you put that many rifle rounds through a magazine to cause the spring to fail, the cost of the spring is moot compared to ammo, barrels, ect.
It's not about saving the spring, it's about reliability. The spring in a mag won't wear out. I've had mags loaded for years that are fine. Springs can get bent, but they don't relax or lose their " spring".

My example was just that, an example. I usually will load one more than the stage requires, which is still one less than capacity. Having an extra for a bad primer isn't the worst thing in the world. It rarely happens, but it could.

Reactions: Oldloser
Seeing how most 10 round mags hold 11 tight as it is (tight as in might need extra force to feed first round depending on cartridge)

If you have to download to get your mag to run correctly you have other issues going on. Aics. Accurate. Mdt. Magpul. With and without extenders they work when tuned correctly and at max capacity or even running 11 in a 10 or 15 in a +4

Id rather have an extra round or two but what do I know my mags feed correctly

Magpul springs don’t go solid at max capacity. The 5rd mag is actually a 6rd mag, you can trim the follower for an extra round. It’s only limited to 5 for hunting use.

Still using the same AI mags I started with in the DBM in 2004. Been loaded a lot and a couple I can get 11 rounds in and have run them that way at matches too on 12 round stages and just pulled number 12 from the two round holder. Also have an extender on one mag for a couple years now and it runs fine too.

Oh and not sure about all this new fangled “mag tuning” as I have never touched mine and they have run in multiple 700s, Surgeon, TL3s, Templar and Lawton actions.

Still using the same AI mags I started with in the DBM in 2004. Been loaded a lot and a couple I can get 11 rounds in and have run them that way at matches too on 12 round stages and just pulled number 12 from the two round holder. Also have an extender on one mag for a couple years now and it runs fine too.

Oh and not sure about all this new fangled “mag tuning” as I have never touched mine and they have run in multiple 700s, Surgeon, TL3s, Templar and Lawton actions.
I still have the first AI mag I bought
It also never needed any fiddling with.
The only reason I don’t use it anymore is because I set my 260 up to run a longer OAL and I’m not going to cut up that magazine to accommodate it.
That single AI mag wore out a few barrels.

It’s not dumb, it definitely ensures a much better first round feed and solid mag retention. I personally don’t do it with my long rifles but it was and is a pretty common thing to be done with pistol in uspsa and pistol rifle both for three gun. In prs type of shooting your starting with bolt open and mag in off the clock so mag retention is typically not an issue as you have the time to really make sure it’s seated. That guy is not wrong or dumb as fuck! He’s actually very correct and did say he is a newbie to this type of shooting. He’s more then likely learning so some shared knowledge is more what he needs.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
It’s not dumb, it definitely ensures a much better first round feed and solid mag retention. I personally don’t do it with my long rifles but it was and is a pretty common thing to be done with pistol in uspsa and pistol rifle both for three gun. In prs type of shooting your starting with bolt open and mag in off the clock so mag retention is typically not an issue as you have the time to really make sure it’s seated. That guy is not wrong or dumb as fuck! He’s actually very correct and did say he is a newbie to this type of shooting. He’s more then likely learning so some shared knowledge is more what he needs.
Everything you said is 100% correct. All of my hands on experience comes from USPSA, this game is new to me. Downloading mags is standard practice and having extra rounds is a must. Not so much here though.

Thanks for putting the tall boys and the whiskey down before replying!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: Simonsza1
I have hundreds invested into 10 round AICS mags, some with extensions, some with BR kits, etc... All are AI brand and I have spent hours tuning each of them to feed as smoothly as possible. Once tuned, they feed well..... But. Not as well as Magpul AICS mags. I tried one and it was butter. Ran my 6.5 creedmoor kelbly Black Bear flawlessly and my Defiance 6bra flawlessly. Obviously no mag kits for the br, but they feed so well I’m wondering why a guy spends so much working the metal AICS mags.

Now, let me just say, knowing these mags are smooth and I have never had an issue on the range, or running dry fire practice with dummy rounds, I have yet to run the magpuls in competition. I’m hung up on the idea that they are too good to be true and once I get on the clock, the magpul will fail.

Does anyone run the magpul AICS in comps and trust them? I never see them in a match.
How do you like the Black Bear action? I just built a new rifle with the Atlas Tactical.

Just wondering, are you guys going Magpul AICS because of cost ? Up here a MDT metal mag is the same price as an AICS so I'm not sure I want to try the Magpul since it has less coal and doesn't seem to fit all bottom metals and can't be adjusted as easily ...

Just wondering, are you guys going Magpul AICS because of cost ? Up here a MDT metal mag is the same price as an AICS so I'm not sure I want to try the Magpul since it has less coal and doesn't seem to fit all bottom metals and can't be adjusted as easily ...
It's easily the smoothest feeding mag I own. I have unmodified AICS 5rds, MDT 10rds and ARC's and the PMAG is so smooth I sometimes don't even feel the round get picked up.

Reactions: Simonsza1