• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul Bipod for SPR?

aslrookie

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2017
I've had atlas bipods in the past. Although they're nice, this bipod is going on a 20" 5.56 with a reflex suppressor and 13.5" rail. Is the magpul bipod a good enough solution for this type of rifle or no? I think the Harris is terrible, heavy, clunky, and you spend more than a magpul bipod just to even make it reasonable to use.

Honestly I’d run a Harris over the magpul all day long. Especially on that setup which I’m sure is not light.

The Magpul is a good field bipod for a rifle that isn't destined for bipod use exclusively. I rate it above my Harris but obviously way below my Atlas in terms of performance. It's light, tougher than it looks, very simple and has a snag free design, all making it ideal for the type of rifles I put it on.

Another inexpensive option is the UTG Recon Flex II. It mounts much differently that most others as it attaches to the side of the hand guard in two pieces.

Not a lot of info in the second version.
The magpul just seems like a mixed bag of opinions.

GG&G is what you want. Not a fan of the magpul at all and while I love Harris, the GG&G really is the cat's meow

I owned a Magpul bipod once for about a week. It’s easily their worst product. It may be very slightly better than nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Is there anyone left who can make a simple decision without running it through every internet opinion filter?
I don’t have experience with a magpul bipod…if I did I wouldn’t be asking the question. I have experience with harris and atlas. Notice I didn’t ask “which” bipod. I simply asked is the magpul worth putting on an SPR?

Thank you for your wasteful space on the thread though.

Reactions: seawolf06
I owned a Magpul bipod once for about a week. It’s easily their worst product. It may be very slightly better than nothing.
ha, I had one for 2 days (one range trip) and quickly deduced the same.

The best thing I can say about the one that I had is that it was light and quick to deploy. It would probably be okaaaay on the setup you've described. But its a serious let down of a product in my opinion and I would not choose to own one again unless i needed something cheap and light weight.

Honestly I’d run a Harris over the magpul all day long. Especially on that setup which I’m sure is not light.
It shouldn't be too bad. I am waiting on the Geissele rail and deciding which optic to throw on it. I've almost considered using it slick without a bipod at all. I have a tripod and use bags/packs for support when the tripod isn't being used. If it's that terrible of a bipod, I can either use it slick without one at all or just get a high-end bipod.

It shouldn't be too bad. I am waiting on the Geissele rail and deciding which optic to throw on it. I've almost considered using it slick without a bipod at all. I have a tripod and use bags/packs for support when the tripod isn't being used. If it's that terrible of a bipod, I can either use it slick without one at all or just get a high-end bipod.
Its not terrible, just really meh

1623437549410.png

• Haha
Reactions: DTF370

You are correct. I'm a fan of Magpul products but that bipod is awful.

I received a Magpul bipod as a gift, so I mounted it to my SPR and it works perfectly fine. The one time I've used it so far, I shot as well as I ever have with the rifle and it didn't snag on brush as I was hiking to my shooting spot. I like the snag-free design for hunting, and if I miss an opportunity, it's not going to be the bipods fault.

The Harris may not be the best for a long range precision rifle but it’s great for a dmr. Fairly solid and super fast deployment.

I like the magpul version - if you are going to be bench shooting the FTR bipod works. Caldwell and AIM make versions I've used that are usable - the ATLAS with Qsert has been really good the few times I've used it but Q is coming out with there own bipod after complaining atlas rattles and is too heavy so that might be worth it too. My only complaint is I don't like mlok for bipod mounting. Harris is fine.

PRO32-Mil Tripod is KOH but its obviously not going to be easy to get around with.

I just don’t care for how the legs are deployed. The magpul and harris legs can just be flipped down. The individual buttons and deployment just irritates me.
I can see that. You could try one of the accutac bipods. You just pull down and rotate the leg. The one I have has a better lockup than my atlas cal. But their new prices are just as expensive as everything else now unless you find a used one. Both atlas and accutac have lifetime warranties if you bust them not that you probably could with reasonable use.

20210612_120018.jpg

Is there anyone left who can make a simple decision without running it through every internet opinion filter?
I don't know. How about, let's start a thread on it and see if anyone can help us make up our mind on this.