• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul CTR or ACS for the next build?

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Hey guys, starting to get an idea for my next ar build, its going to be a 16" BCM middy. This is going to be my go to gun for HD, training, and beer can killing out to ~200 yds.

Im currently running a CTR and love the thing. But the ACS takes everything I love about the CTR (Friction lock, rear push-button QD sling loops) and adds about 1/3 LB of weight and some battery storage. Im thinking it may help balanced a gov profile barrel. I know the QD swivel sockets are optional.

So anyone get any time with an ACS yet?
Am I thinking of this right, as a supper improved CTR?
They ever going to be available?

Re: Magpul CTR or ACS for the next build?

I have both, and after having run them both, I still like the CTR better.

The ACS looks better on Middy's and most carbines to me, but the cons outweigh the pro's. It's a little heavier(I drag my carbine everywhere), and if I'm taking my carbine somewhere where it needs to carry something, I'm usually carrying it in my harness or pack.

They're available now, if I'm understanding your question.

I have a CTR myself and I will have to say I really like it! I want to add a 1/2" riser to it but it won't let the charging handle come back unless the stock is fully extended.

If you want an ACS you better hurry. VLTOR just filed suit against Magpul on that stock. I can't say what the outcome will be.

They have currently been out of stock lately, and I don't know when I'll get more. It has been very frustrating from a dealers perspective. I am used to selling several of these each week....

I have both. I like the acs. Yes it's a little more wieght but the cheek weld u get is the shit. I guess I need to buy 2 or 3 more if there is a suit started. I figured if anyone would hit them it would be lmt/ crane.