• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul hunter 700 stock

Bridges90

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2017
Ashland, KY
I just bought a new Remington 700 and am new to aftermarket stocks. I love magpul stuff and was wondering how their stock is for the R700? How does it compare to other more expensive stocks? Pros? Cons? Also possibly in the market for one if anyone has one for sale, feel free to pm me. Thanks!

Pros: Very solid, great price, overall high quality.
Cons: Terrible grip angle (I changed mine w/ acraglas), a bit heavy

Overall, its not as "refined" as other options, but now that I have the angle the way I like it, I like it a lot.

I did not like the grip angle on mine so I replaced mine with a different chassis. The stock is certainly well-made. Typical for MagPul. At 6’4” I especially liked the spacer system for the length of pull.

If you’re interested I would sell you mine. Used but still decent. PM me if you’re interested. It came on my Seekins Havak 6.5cm so it should be completely compatible with a R700 short action footprint. Takes AICS mags flawlessly.

I just bought a new Remington 700 and am new to aftermarket stocks. I love magpul stuff and was wondering how their stock is for the R700? How does it compare to other more expensive stocks? Pros? Cons? Also possibly in the market for one if anyone has one for sale, feel free to pm me. Thanks!

The Magpul 700 Hunter is a great chassis for the hunter. The ergo has more of a relaxed designed but very limited in terms of micro adjustments for comfort.

The pro 700 is for the bench/PRS shooting with the Micro adjustments and its more vertical grip. And costs about $900

but if you like the cost of the magpul 700 hunter but want to have a little more adjustability for comfort and a target style grip, then maybe look at the KRG BRAVO.

Reactions: jcmullis2
As a new shooter just getting into the precision world, I had a bit of sticker shock when I came over here to Sniper's hide. Still do. I was never more than a normal grunt, and a lot of the time I was other MOSs like Trans, Armor, and Chem... but now I'm a retired, crippled grunt, and living on VA disability, so money isn't growing on trees. One just got out of college, one still in, I'm building a CJ7 in the garage, and there's not much left over for shooting... The Magpul Hunter was my first chassis. Only one... It's what I can afford. I'm sure the high dollar ones are much better, but considering the rifle I was starting with came in a Boyd's stock... I'm 100% satisfied with the Hunter. I had to buy the flat cheek piece, as the supplied one was too high for me. I think it should have came with, but I got it now.

Reactions: TommyD11730
Like many others said it’s a great hunter chassis. I had one on a .260 for a long time. Finally upgraded to a manners I picked up off the PX. I still have the magpul, comes with bottom metal and several cheek pieces. Shoot me a message if interested, I’d let it go pretty cheap.

So i actually dont mind the ergonomics, at least they work well for me.

the stock is well built overall, on par with magpuls other products.

the only thing i really dont like about it is the forend flex
IMG_20200820_095532_0.jpg

IMG_20200820_095544_4.jpg

with quite minimal pressure its pretty easy to flex that forend enough to contact the barrel.

now realistically this hasnt actually been an issue....ive not personally run into any accuracy issues from bipod loading or barricades......but it doesnt give me the warm an fuzzies.

i think there are better stock/ chassis on the market.......but for the price, they are actually hard to beat.

As a new shooter just getting into the precision world, I had a bit of sticker shock when I came over here to Sniper's hide. Still do. I was never more than a normal grunt, and a lot of the time I was other MOSs like Trans, Armor, and Chem... but now I'm a retired, crippled grunt, and living on VA disability, so money isn't growing on trees. One just got out of college, one still in, I'm building a CJ7 in the garage, and there's not much left over for shooting... The Magpul Hunter was my first chassis. Only one... It's what I can afford. I'm sure the high dollar ones are much better, but considering the rifle I was starting with came in a Boyd's stock... I'm 100% satisfied with the Hunter. I had to buy the flat cheek piece, as the supplied one was too high for me. I think it should have came with, but I got it now.
There's nothing at all wrong with Boyd's stocks; I own several. As long as you take the time to verify/fit everything, they perform just fine and (IMO) look great doing it. I've done a redneck bedding job (JB Weld) on most of mine just for extra peace of mind.

Reactions: Bandit320
I have a Hunter 700 stock on a 243 I put together a couple years ago. It is well made, and works as designed. I wish that the internal aluminum chassis extended further out the forearm, as it has quite a bit of flex there. For the price, they are a good option.

How was the reach from grip to trigger? The space between the two looks pretty long.

Here is my 16” 308 Rem 700 in magpul stock. Just installed yesterday, feels good. Can post a range report on this thread soon as I will try to shoot it today.

Attachments

• 0DC4A240-C9C8-440B-9616-CF31699C17E1.jpeg
    0DC4A240-C9C8-440B-9616-CF31699C17E1.jpeg
    545.7 KB · Views: 354
Here is my 16” 308 Rem 700 in magpul stock. Just installed yesterday, feels good. Can post a range report on this thread soon as I will try to shoot it today.

Shot the rifle the other day, shot great and was pretty comfortable! For the price you cannot beat this stock!

Is there any feedback on this Magpul stock when used with a bipod? Is the fore end flexible enough that it will contact the barrel if you use a bipod.

Speaking of bipods, I have a Harris bipod mounted to a sling swivel stud on my existing stock. How would a bipod made for sling swivel studs mount to the Magpul Hunter stock?

I have my 700 in a magpul hunter with a swivel stud for a bipod. It is rock solid. I just took the swivel stud from the 700 and installed it. There is a little dimple on the magpul forend where you would drill a pilot hole. Then screw in the stud.

Reactions: Biscuits
I have the Hunter stock on my Rem700. Came with it. But I much prefer KRG's Bravo stock. A little pricier but better ergonomics for me. Alotta accessories for it too.

I recommend the KRG Bravo Chassis over the Magpul Hunter Stock.

I was planning on using the Magpul Hunter for a build I just did, but for the Price of the Magpul Hunter (259$) and the mag kit (69$) you have to buy, it is not much less then the KRG Bravo for 349$. The Bravo has more configurability and they both weigh the same.

Is there any feedback on this Magpul stock when used with a bipod? Is the fore end flexible enough that it will contact the barrel if you use a bipod.

On my 700 Magpul I have a Harris bipod attached to a Magpul sling stud. I've never had the forearm touch the barrel during normal use, but where I most notice the flex is around the axis of the barrel. In other words, although your bipod may be perfectly planted on the shooting bench, even light hand pressure is enough to twist the receiver and scope reticle out of level. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with the accuracy vs. price for the rifle and stock combination. But to me, the forearm flex is its most glaring weakness.

Reactions: Biscuits
Is there a recommended way to fix the flex? I just picked up a factory rem 700 with the hunter stock and 5r barrel for 675 and wasn't sure about the stock but the whole thing was so cheap I decided to bite.

Is there a recommended way to fix the flex? I just picked up a factory rem 700 with the hunter stock and 5r barrel for 675 and wasn't sure about the stock but the whole thing was so cheap I decided to bite.
I believe I have the same package as yours. I don't want to make it sound like the stock is complete flimsy junk. For a sub-$700 rifle I'm very pleased with it. I routinely shoot 5/8" 3-shot groups at 100 with 168 grain .308 FGMM. And unless there's a gusting crosswind, 600 yard shots at the 8" gong are almost boring. It's just that the axial flex is noticeable if you twist the wrist of your firing hand when you're setting up for a bipod-based shot. I have a bubble level on my scope so I probably notice the stock twisting more than I otherwise would.

Given the modest price of this setup I have not invested the time to try stiffen up the factory stock, but like you, I'm open to any suggestions and will be watching this post for ideas.

Reactions: BillyTee

Speaking of bipods, I have a Harris bipod mounted to a sling swivel stud on my existing stock. How would a bipod made for sling swivel studs mount to the Magpul Hunter stock?
It will not

I'm pretty happy with my Hunter stock, as pictured a few posts above.

Now, I realize it's a budget option, and being as I'm just getting into the precision game, and also living on VA disability... I'm OK with not dropping 4 or 5 grand on a rifle like I wish I could, but the flex in the fore end of this stock isn't really all that bad, at least in my book.

My rifle is a completely stock Remington 700 in .243, so the barrel does give me more room in the channel than some of you guys, and yes, if I squeeze the crap out of it, it will flex, but the amount of pressure I need to impart to get it to flex, is much greater than the rifle will ever see sitting on a bipod, or being deployed against a barrier in actual use... I think they made it "just strong enough". They engineered it to do the job, without going overboard, and making it cost so much as to price itself out of range of the average joe...

My Magpul Hunter 700 just arrived. Unboxed and inspected construction. Uh oh.....

How concerned should I be (if at all) should I be about the split/crack in the seam just behind the bolt (see picture below)?

If I really squeeze down I can close the gap, but it doesnt seem to be widening on its own. Feels very solid.

Is this Worth sending back? Will it only get worse? What might it compromise in terms of accuracy?

-7ef344.jpg

I’d ask them to replace it.

It’s not a big deal since that plastic area isn’t really structural. I’ve had mine apart multiple times. The key structural element is the cast block underneath the plastic and that piece runs all the way down to the butt stock.

But Magpul is a top shelf outfit and will stand behind their products.

Magpul must have a ton of service reps out because what is normally a 1 minute phone-hold is now a "leave a message and we will call you back...". Hard to find any pictures of the Magpul Hunter 700 online other than stock images from Magpul...but I just came across this old review from Brownell's on YouTube.

Click here: Magpul 700 Hunter Overview at Brownell's

Shows the exact same seam split that I have.

On the one hand, I guess I feel better than mine is not a "defect" :unsure:

On the other hand, I know I'll have a hard time ignoring that it is there if I keep it :confused:

Like Newbie2020 has commented, probably not going to compromise rigidity. Still...

Magpul Brownells.JPG

My Magpul Hunter 700 just arrived. Unboxed and inspected construction. Uh oh.....

How concerned should I be (if at all) should I be about the split/crack in the seam just behind the bolt (see picture below)?

If I really squeeze down I can close the gap, but it doesnt seem to be widening on its own. Feels very solid.

Is this Worth sending back? Will it only get worse? What might it compromise in terms of accuracy?

View attachment 7593692

Send it back.

OP, buy the best chassis/stock you can afford. There's nothing wrong with the hunter stock but if you can afford something better, buy it. It's like with anything, the cost between ok and great is a few dollars, but buying things twice to finally upgrading can get even more expensive. Buy once, cry once is a saying that pertains to your situation.