• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul Massoud .308 in the latest Special Weapons

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
So I picked up the latest Special Weapons magazine today in Booksamillion and they had a nice long article on the Magpul Massoud. I just got mad and put the magazine back on the shelf. Im sick tired of all this Masada/Massoud BS. The magazine that had a similar write up on the masada is so old its been put out in the storage building in the back yard. I think I was upset becuase I made the realization, that this rifle is only good for pictures just like Playboy.

I know it will be another couple of years until anyone will see this rifle much less the (Bushmaster now) ACR. And once it does come out, the price gouging will run its course for the next year...

I know this rant is stupid and this is just how it is...

I wish it was like the sig 522. I sweet rifle that was just here and available at a fair price.

Re: Magpul Massoud .308 in the latest Special Weapons

Come on now brother. Don't you like being privy to the inside info, while stuff is still in the design stage? We're doing all we can, but bringing a gun to market is a serious undertaking. Witness a lot of the newer rifles, SCAR, the TC tactical action, even the 522 was at SHOT in Jan, and it's just now out in numbers, and it's a blowback .22.

One advantage to the early showing is that your feedback can help tweak the design and final configurations. For example, after seeing the article, someone suggested an 18" barrel precision set up with the folding stock would be more desirable than the heavier precision stock.

Also, for example, we are interested to see what general configuration people want to see the rifle in, i.e. folding stock, short light barrel CQB type setup, or full precision with the heavy barrels and adjustable stock, long rail, etc.

Hang in there, I think it will be worth the wait. A few members here have fired it, inluding Frank, and everyone seems pretty pleased. If you go to SHOT this year, come find me and I'll give you better info than the article.

And Frank if you see this, we need to get you behind the new Gen guns.

Justin

Re: Magpul Massoud .308 in the latest Special Weapons

Wow more Vaporware, they can't even get the Masada/ACR or whatever the hell it is now on the market and they are trying to push another piece of vaporware out. Nice Look at the bright side at least people are getting their Shrikes that only took most of 6-8 years. The Masada is catching up to it at this rate.

Re: Magpul Massoud .308 in the latest Special Weap

US Mil weapons acquisition process is a complicated witch's brew of political campaign "PAC contributions", congressional district jobs programs, interservice rivalry, personal bias, underhanded corporate backstabbing, continually changing fickle requirements from Big Military, and endless negotiation between contractors, brass (who will never shoot the darn things in combat?!) and politicians.
Anyone who has glanced at the history of the M16 or M9 fielding knows how its done.
And then add all this to the Magpul to Bushmaster to Rem to Cerberus acquisition story...are you sure you want the whole Forbes/Wall Street Journal back story on all that?
No company wants to be rash and rush protos into production where they very well may fail. Once a bad reputation its never lived down.
The Masada isn't being built for you and I; they are going after the Holy Grail. If Uncle Sam buys it, it may be around for 50 years and others may jump on the bandwagon. Think of the gar-un-teed revenue stream?! Makes the beancounters and brokers salivate like Pavlov's Dogs.
After all that, remember that the US Mil can nearly be counted upon to make the wrong decision-ref: FAL/M14, M60/M240, M9/M11, M16 vs anything better than a system which craps itself.
They are getting their ducks in a row IOT avoid fielding a dud.
I would bet the guns geeks in the 1920s did the same thing and were furiously typing on telegraph to each other wondering when Garand and Pederson were going to get around to finishing their designs. Those were worked on for many years. And even after that the Garand was recalled and updated and continually improved over the years.
Modern designs hope to avoid that by bringing to market a mature system.
Hopefully, they choose wisely this time around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who has glanced at the history of the M16 or M9 fielding knows how its done.</div></div>

I believe that the spec’s of many Military trials are written to allow (guaranty) for only the proper (preselected) vender to win. I worked for Glock during the last round of trials (re-trial) for the M9 in the mid to late 80's. The Pentagon wanted to prove that the Berretta M9 was best. They were so determined to keep the Glock out of the trials that they had to amend the spec's to require an "external, thumb operated hammer" to finally get rid of the Glock and the H&K P7.

Just my opinion
grin.gif

Dave P

Dave, Glock's exclusion was/is no mere opinion. The spec is available and open to anyone who can read. Those "trials" were a travesty. One little known conclusion found the "washed up, unreliable, obsolete 1911A1" actually did just fine and beat some newer designs. Doh!?! Get me re-write on that spec sheet Corporal! And when SIG won on performance AND bid, "somehow" Big B was able to resubmit and underbid. Hmm.
Before hijacking this thread, maybe a discussion of weapons acquisition ought to be started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe a discussion of weapons acquisition ought to be started.</div></div>

Forum rules...no political topics
wink.gif
dont see how it would be possible to discuss one without the other lol.

Justin

Just saw this now, not a problem, would love to shoot the new guns, I am in CO for the month of December, just let me know. We have to hit Byers, with Scott not here I am not a member at Golden, or we can you a range local to you.

I shot the early Massoud, I like it a lot. just because the process is a bit slow doesn't make it wrong.

Anchor Station-Ha! You got that right!!
I would bet the Roman Empire had scandals acquiring the Spatha vs the Gladius and contract disputes with Gaul and Carthage!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dave4201</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who has glanced at the history of the M16 or M9 fielding knows how its done.</div></div>

I believe that the spec’s of many Military trials are written to allow (guaranty) for only the proper (preselected) vender to win. I worked for Glock during the last round of trials (re-trial) for the M9 in the mid to late 80's. The Pentagon wanted to prove that the Berretta M9 was best. They were so determined to keep the Glock out of the trials that they had to amend the spec's to require an "external, thumb operated hammer" to finally get rid of the Glock and the H&K P7.

Just my opinion
grin.gif

Dave P </div></div>

You are correct Dave.

I worked for a guy that was doing experimental gun work for the govt. and that's exactly what they do. Some of BS that they throw into their "specs" for a weapon are ridiculous. They don't buy what works best or we wouldn't probably have the M9 or M16 now. A buddy in Spec ops in Afghanistan said they had the piston driven HK 416 rifles and had them taken away even though they were Far superior to M4's. It was all political. They didn't want the HK proven to be a more reliable weapon.

I know its just how it is. Special Weapons just like teasing us civis so far in advance. I have always considered the masada a MUST have rifle. Im sure it will be worth it when it comes.

thanks for the responses.

i had to look up the thing you guys were talking about. i didnt know if it was a rifle or a food processor... but i found a vid on youtube. several actually

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RNncD9q7u5E"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RNncD9q7u5E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8u1OTfJS5U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8u1OTfJS5U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8AIU09RTL8o"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8AIU09RTL8o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

i also saw this little gem

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OQoXdawLLc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OQoXdawLLc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I shot this Aug 2008... a Massoud.
smile.gif

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLZXgfexNkw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLZXgfexNkw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Maybe me and the rest of the great unwashed masses can shoot it in Aug 2018.