• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul PMag issues...

FltMed13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Ok, so I have searched the hide and my googlefu is actin a fool like my pmags...

So, I picked up a few new PMag in the 30 round variety and tried them empty to see if they would catch in the mag-well...which they do. However, I loaded them up for training and had issues with 3 of them. Once loaded, no matter what I do they will not catch.
mad.gif
Before I even have a chance to slap the bottom they are falling out. Really, I'm just unsure what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TM

Re: Magpul PMag issues...

Are they only doing this when full to capacity? Try inserting the mag with less than 30rds and see if it catches...or try it with an open bolt. If the mag seats in either of those two conditions, you've diagnosed your problem. How to fix it? Either load less than 30rds or use the magazines until the spring weakens a little.

No, I had only loaded 10 rounds in each when I figured this out. All the others were full loads.

was the bolt forward? Full mags on a closed bolt may be your issue.. try with the bolt back. if that works, try man. found in isle 13.

No, the bolt was to the rear. I remember this because this was the first one like it that I grabbed while doing a fast reload on the range and watching my reload magazine fall the hell outta the well and thinking to myself "WTMFF?!?" so yeah, bolt was to the rear.

I'll have to borrow my buddy's metal 30 rounder since I no longer own any...

Assuming you've checked the things listed above...

Make sure your mag release is tight enough, and also not too tight. I normally twist mine so the threaded shaft engages the button enough that if I did another turn it would stick out.

What lower are you using? The Mega billet in your sig line?

I checked all 12 of my PMags and those 3 were the only ones having issues. I haven't checked any metal bodied mags.

Yeah, I'm using the lower in my sig line. I hadn't had any other issues with my lower (as of yet, hopefully not anytime soon).

TM

Some of the early pmags had issues fitting tight magwells. I had a mp15t that would even accept them and a lwrc that wouldnt drop clean.

Are these new? If not, try a new one to see if the problem still exists.

Like already stated, check the mag catch... Maybe it needs one more twist.

I'll check this evening. I didn't check to see if they were all the new ones. I know for sure that one that is acting up is brand new.

Kevin and company,

No, I have no EMags to my name only the Ps. I would like to know how to tell if it is not to spec Kevin. Oh and really nice stuff you got over there... next build will have a Knights rail on it.
grin.gif

HOWEVER, I went back through and borrowed 3 different 30 rounders that have a metal body and loaded all 15 magazines to 15 rounds. I then proceeded to load both bolt open and bolt closed . Only 1 happened to not seat and it was a brand new PMag I purchased in the last month or 2.

Roy
I repeated this with all mags empty and all of them except that same troublesome PMag loaded without issue.
I guess that I just got a new PMag that is not in spec??

This is why I quit using all the silly billet variations and shoot my Colt and Noveske lowers. They always work with anything. I went the billet route before and had all sorts of little issues like this pop up.

I sanded the top rib along the back wall of the mag near the feed and the feed itself and problem seems to have resolved. Once bolt was locked to the rear or closed, it would engage the catch and seat properly on the "bad" mag. So, I marked it and I'm gonna keep running it through to see if it happens anymore. In the meantime that seems to have worked.
3rd gen PMags? Really?? Uhm, dumb question, how the heck do I tell the difference?
Yeah, my upcoming build will be a forged upper/lower set, KAC URX rail and a 6.8SPC barrel to help clear hogs off my hunting land.
TM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is why I quit using all the silly billet variations and shoot my Colt and Noveske lowers. They always work with anything. I went the billet route before and had all sorts of little issues like this pop up. </div></div>

More wisdom here than many would like to admit.
wink.gif