• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul Polymer MOE Rail Pieces - Wear and Tear Rating?

lonely_wolf

Woof.
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Up North
I'm considering using one to mount a light to the 870 MOE forend. I'm concerned the polymer may not stand up to continued use. The light will be on and off frequently. Plus, the 870 has more recoil than an AR.

What's everyone's experiences/ thoughts?

Mount will be a Streamlight TLR. I don't have any PMAGs (Shameful, eh?). I assume your saying they wear out..?

I believe he's saying the opposite. This isn't cheap Chinese plastic from a child's toy. While the polymer is more prone to wear than metal, if you're not moving the light on and off the rail as a daily routine there's really nothing to be concerned about.

I think you will be fine with the Polymer rails.

Look at the dust cover/rail on a Glock. I slid my light on and off for several years (before upgrading holsters) without and problems. You will get wear, but it will remain serviceable for some time. Even if the rail only lasts for a year, it's still cost-effective.

I'm using a polymer MOE rail for the VFG of my 12 ga. Vepr 12. Holding up fine, rock solid.

Vepr_12_010.jpg

Vepr_12_008.jpg

KRG uses MOE rails for attaching lights and bipods to their chassis. I am using a short section now to mate my Atlas bipod to the chassis and it's been handling the .308 recoil just fine.

+1 on the above. Provided you aren't truly abusing the hell out of your rifle, frequent mounting/dismounting of your light (regardless of make/model), won't hurt the MOE rails at all. Similarly, recoil won't have any adverse effects on the rail either.

The ones I have seen broken have been from impact damage on hard surfaces (like dropped from 5' or more onto a concrete slab), etc. If it happens...swap it out for another $6-8 rail section and know you got a good on a quality US-made product! ;)