• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul Pro 700 - why overpriced???

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
Can someone educate me? As I do research on buying my first chassis for a Rem 700 SA, I keep reading people say that the Magpul Pro 700 is a great chassis but over priced. They don't give a specific reason though on why they feel the price is too high. When I compare its features to others that I'm considering (e.g. KRG Whiskey 3) it seems like a great value, especially when you tack on the folding stock function. The only cons that I can find are that it's about 1 lb heavier than the KRG W3 and has 1/4" more fore end bore height, neither of which turn me off.
So what's the deal? Are these people talking out of their asses? Are they thinking resale value may not be as high as the others? Are they expecting it to be cheap because it's Magpul? I really just don't see it and wondering if I'm missing something that would push me towards the KRG.

Here’s a recent thread on the subject. People expect it to be cheaper because they compare it to the Hunter stock. If you compare features to its peers nothing comes close under $1000.

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I haven’t actually seen one in person to make my own judgements. It does seem like a great stocks based off specs. While I’m not a Magpul Fanboy, I do think they make quality products.

Reactions: Newbie2020
I just put one on my B14r thinking it was going to be cheap but was really surprised with the quality and features. I figured it was going to be pretty much a tupperware stock but was impressed with the amount of metal present and how solid it feels.

Thanks M4. I probably should have posted on that one but I think I've gone blind trying to read up on this stuff so far. Pretty sure I skimmed through that thread before and it seemed there were still people claiming it should be less and they would take a used KRG, MPA or MDT over it.
Again no basis for those statements. If it's personal preference, ok. Otherwise, support your position with solid data/observation. Probably the best response in that thread was from 308pirate.
Some of the comments make zero sense, basing their perception of what this thing should cost exclusively on the fact that Magpul's previous effort was a featureless cheapo and not on the Pro's features, construction, and design.

Why isn't the product's price being judged against the product's merits?

The 700 Pro is priced better than any of its competitors with folding stocks and has features none of them do.

Reactions: 308pirate
I just put one on my B14r thinking it was going to be cheap but was really surprised with the quality and features. I figured it was going to be pretty much a tupperware stock but was impressed with the amount of metal present and how solid it feels.
That’s good to know. I’m considering replacing the stock on my B14 HMR.

jronne, I'm in the same boat. Have never seen one or handled it. Being that stock "fit & feel" is a big part to choosing one, it makes dropping this kind of money difficult. Wish I could finger bang one for a few minutes before committing. Given that I haven't read about anyone not liking the fit, I'm heavily leaning towards the Magpul.

jronne, I'm in the same boat. Have never seen one or handled it. Being that stock "fit & feel" is a big part to choosing one, it makes dropping this kind of money difficult. Wish I could finger bang one for a few minutes before committing. Given that I haven't read about anyone not liking the fit, I'm heavily leaning towards the Magpul.
Even though it’s a relatively expensive investment, I bet magpul would let you return it if you didn’t like the feel of it prior to mounting the action. I like that it has a lot of metal in the frame for rigidity, consistency and weight but uses polymer on the panels. Should make it nice to use during colder/wet conditions.

I like this thread. One tough thing about forums is parsing out the quality of the advice based on the experience of the commenter. After a few months of reading it becomes more obvious who has real valuable wisdom to share. I’ve read several guys on here previously and in this thread who genuinely know their stuff who think the Magpul Pro 700 is as good as anything available for the price point and probably a value at $700-800. Magpul has become a serious contender and has really done this chassis right.

Reactions: rijndael
Couple key points on the Magpul chassis:

1. Adjustability: two grips, trigger reach adjustment, locking comb height, LOP, height and cant of butt pad, folds in either direction, ambi capable of you’re a lefty

2. The polymer skins are non-structural. They’re for comfort and user interface, but with all the polymer removed you’ve got a billet aluminum spine that’s super rigid.

3. The sturdiest, most rigid bank vault folding mechanism out there. On par with the AI gold standard for lockup.

Last edited:
You've got me convinced:)

Now, anyone have one in OD Green for a Rem 700 SA that is looking to sell? May post a WTB before I go new.

I’ve only gotten to quickly finger bang one but I was thoroughly impressed.
It’s a lot nicer than something you’d except considering the name and nicer than I was expecting.

I feel it’s priced accordingly.
Easily in the upper end MDT and XLR category

I had one early on, nice chassis but,
Mine was not tight on folder, always had some wiggle even when locked.
Trigger reach was nice, as were all adjustments.
wouldn’t put it in the same level as MPA, AI,or MDT, but price is nice for sure. I would try and finger bang one before you buy. Bravo is popular if trying to keep the price down. Just my two cents.

Stoweit, can you elaborate on why you wouldn't put it at the same level as an MPA or MDT?
Personal preference? Quality? Perception?
Is it because of the hinge? You're the first I've seen that has made that comment, other than someone early on who installed incorrectly.
Not bashing, just trying to zero in on your specific thoughts.

As I do research on buying my first chassis for a Rem 700 SA, I keep reading people say that the Magpul Pro 700 is a great chassis but over priced. They don't give a specific reason though on why they feel the price is too high. So what's the deal? Are these people talking out of their asses? Are they thinking resale value may not be as high as the others? Are they expecting it to be cheap because it's Magpul? I really just don't see it and wondering if I'm missing something that would push me towards the KRG.

Yes and yes

You're not missing anything.

I’m not sure that anyone thing is bad about it. I never loved the feel of either grip, but that is personal preference. Just doesn’t seem to be as customizable as other, adding weights, etc. Had MPA, MDT, Xylo, now Manners TCS, and find them so easy to customize balance point or add gas petal or whatever. The Magpul is nice for the money, and guess it’s all personal preference in the end. Just stating my experience with it. My lock up must of been the exception.

My 700 Pro is solid as a bank vault. I have no complaints about the hinge, except maybe its too stiff.

My chassis came with two grips, one angled and one more vertical. They have a good amount of fore and aft adjustment. I guess one con of the magpul system is that you cannot use an AR pattern grip.

Obviously there are lots of mlock rails. I currently use a pair of pic rails on the bottom and left side for an Atlas CAL and an MK Machine magneto speed mount.

When I was in the process of sourcing a chassis for this build, AI, MPA, and the MDT ACC were all considered. Here in Utah it gets a little chilly and I decided I wanted something that wasn’t all metal to hold onto. Between this and the AT, the PRO had better ergos and more rail space. Fit and finish between the two were the same in my opinion. They both have similar heft. I would have zero problems butt stroking someone with this chassis. It could easily take it without complaint or damage.

Some things I learned after I purchased was that the nvg hood extends too far aft and interferes with the objective of the 5x25 PST optic. If you want to run the nvg hood you will need a shorter optic or you will need to modify the hood.

I bought it from brownells with a coupon code. I would buy again if I was doing it over.

E4A4068E-5226-473C-9443-B0953256560D.jpeg
7290D80E-6903-4904-B900-433E90E450C2.jpeg
55B1BC68-A327-4E07-9F23-0D2189DD4151.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate
Only knock I have against the magpul is the height the forend adds, length of the forend (should be longer) and lack of arca on the forend. Other than that it’s really quite nice.

If the magpul is overpriced then so is every chassis krg makes.

I love mine. Extremely comfortable chassis and I used to hate chassis.
978007CD-6FE5-4C05-9E64-D58B6D5BE5E2.jpeg

Reactions: Mudmarine
Just one more dose of anecdotal experience -

Mine locks up solid, it’s sturdy, and with all of the adjustability I’m very comfortable behind it.

With all the adjustability, its easy to get it setup perfect for your body.

Thanks everyone. All the responses pretty much confirm what I was thinking. I'll see if I can pick one up used first and then go new if I have to.

There's a bunch on ebay from someone out of Texas with free shipping about same price

Do you guys know if the folding hinge adapter that Magpul sells to convert the fixed stock version to a folder is the exact same hardware that comes with the folder when you buy it new? Does it function just as well?

It is the exact same hardware, 1:1 swap. The hinge and fixed block are the same dimensions, every other part is common between the two.

Last edited:
Perfect. Opens up options for me. Didn't want the fit or function to be any different.

Any fitment issues with an Impact 737 and Trigger Tech? Meaning no Dremel, machine, etc?
While we are at it, why don't these manufacturers make these chassis to work with the TT?

I don't have an Impact, but the TT works fine.

Saw that. He has no reviews and doesn't allow returns. F that.

I was talking about this guy has 159000 feedback and 30 day return and no I don't know him.
But its fixed stock don't know how much the conversion to folding is or if its worthwhile.

I was on the fence but after reading this it sounds like a solid replacement for my B14 HMR (great info about the grips as well, did not know they don't take AR style, magpuls website doesn't have grips for the 700 pro listed separately, so replacements may be difficult to find?)

I'm now in the market for an FDE folder if anyone is selling! Thanks for all the info from you guys who have experience with this unit!

It’s pretty much impossible to beat the adjustability magpul has for under $1k.

I’m personally looking at them for schoolhouse loaner rifles. Adjustability is key for that.

anyone not a fan of the bore over height on the forend?

from using a mates it's a lot less stable then say a krg bravo off a fence line..

anyone not a fan of the bore over height on the forend?

from using a mates it's a lot less stable then say a krg bravo off a fence line..

Its not as low as ideally possible. But it’s not high enough that the shooter isn’t the problem for stability issues.

I don’t agree with that completely

It a tall fore end and it’s relatively narrow.
It doesn’t suck super bad (probably shouldnt have used the term a lot less) but juxtapose it with a manners t4 or a krg bravo its pretty noticeable.

I don’t agree with that completely

It a tall fore end and it’s relatively narrow.
It doesn’t suck super bad (probably shouldnt have used the term a lot less) but juxtapose it with a manners t4 or a krg bravo its pretty noticeable.

There’s guys that do well with AI-AX (not necessarily win national matches, but do well). And that’s about as high and unstable as you can get for a chassis.

Guys win club matches all the time with AT’s.

Obviously if you’re fighting for every single point to because you’re a top 5 national level shooter, it matters. If not, the bore height isn’t the reason someone isn’t winning a club match or placing well at bigger 1 day or 2 day events.

I’m sure a dude like David Preston could should circles around the vast majority of folks off a barricade with a Wally World savage axis.

The OP asked why it doesn’t get the love of the KrG

On the magpul I don’t care for the thumb shelf, lack of spigot type of bipod mount, or the tall and narrow foot print of the fore end

If that’s all noise, Carry on.

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 3.20.39 PM.png

Definitely has a thumb shelf. If the fore-end height and lack of a spigot don't work for you that is what it is. A spigot would be extremely easy to make, but there isn't one available right now.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
There’s guys that do well with AI-AX (not necessarily win national matches, but do well). And that’s about as high and unstable as you can get for a chassis.

Guys win club matches all the time with AT’s.

Obviously if you’re fighting for every single point to because you’re a top 5 national level shooter, it matters. If not, the bore height isn’t the reason someone isn’t winning a club match or placing well at bigger 1 day or 2 day events.

Doesn't everyone use a gamer plate now anyways? Wouldn't that negate the majority of the disadvantage if there is one?

I don't shoot CF comps anyways so it's a non issue for me.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Doesn't everyone use a gamer plate now anyways? Wouldn't that negate the majority of the disadvantage if there is one?

I don't shoot CF comps anyways so it's a non issue for me.

Yes and no. Sitting up higher in general doesn’t “feel” right. The plates always felt too high for me. I also think it depends on your preference for driving the rifle. The more you drive it into a bag, the less the plate feels right.

It’s hard to explain. And I’m not sure if it actually matters more than personal preference.

There’s also the recoil physics. Lower is easier to get behind better to manage recoil.

But, the pro 700 definitely isn’t in the close to detrimental area like the AX is.