• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul Pro 700 - why overpriced???

Since I got the chassis last week, I've gotten everything mounted up but haven't had a chance to shoot it. Too damn cold here and I really don't feel like freezing my nuts off laying prone in the snow. A few thoughts though...
  • I love the looks of it. Personal thing but it's really nice and solid.
  • It is replacing a Manners T5 and added about 2 lbs to the overall weight of the rifle. Not a terrible thing considering how I use it. However, after lugging it around all weekend at a match like ASC I might be more sensitive to the extra couple of pounds.
  • The thumb shelf seems comfortable enough. Only concern for me is the nearby hinge protrusion on the right side. It's close to the thumb rest and I'm wondering if my thumb will hit during the recoil of the rifle. Likely not, but I need to shoot it to know for sure. If it's a big issue, I can simply flip it to the other side.
  • Regarding the bore height, yeah it's a little taller but not crazy tall. It's only 1/4" more than the KRG W3. I should have measured it in the Manners but didn't think to do so. I totally agree with Dthomas3523. Considering all the errors that can occur when shooting dynamic matches, this is probably not the first one you need to be concerned about solving. If you're at that of level, you're either making a living off the winnings you receive or you need to get therapy.
I'm sure everyone can find something wrong with every chassis/stock out there. This is no different. I am by no means an expert on this subject but when I compare the features of this system with other higher priced competitors it's a great value for what you get. All my thoughts may change once I am able to put some rounds downrange with it, but I highly doubt it.

Shot a comp with the Pro 700 today and can testify that itbelongs in the conversation with other high profile chassis. Hate to say it but I didn’t miss my XLR Envy at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milf Dots
FYI, a like new 700 Pro chassis is for sale in the classifieds for $700 shipped.

My 700 Pro is solid as a bank vault. I have no complaints about the hinge, except maybe its too stiff.

My chassis came with two grips, one angled and one more vertical. They have a good amount of fore and aft adjustment. I guess one con of the magpul system is that you cannot use an AR pattern grip.

Obviously there are lots of mlock rails. I currently use a pair of pic rails on the bottom and left side for an Atlas CAL and an MK Machine magneto speed mount.

When I was in the process of sourcing a chassis for this build, AI, MPA, and the MDT ACC were all considered. Here in Utah it gets a little chilly and I decided I wanted something that wasn’t all metal to hold onto. Between this and the AT, the PRO had better ergos and more rail space. Fit and finish between the two were the same in my opinion. They both have similar heft. I would have zero problems butt stroking someone with this chassis. It could easily take it without complaint or damage.

Some things I learned after I purchased was that the nvg hood extends too far aft and interferes with the objective of the 5x25 PST optic. If you want to run the nvg hood you will need a shorter optic or you will need to modify the hood.

I bought it from brownells with a coupon code. I would buy again if I was doing it over.

View attachment 7549576View attachment 7549609View attachment 7549612
Good evening, I'm considering the Magpul 700 Pro. My barrelled action (Rem 700 SA footprint) mounts a 1.25 inch barrel (at the shank) in a MTU like contour. its 0.93 inch at the muzzle. According Magpul, this barrel would be too large. They say a medium palma countour (whitout specifying the max. shank diameter) would fit only if 6 inch off the breech, the barrel makes max. 0.92 diameter. Furthermore they say that all their stocks/chassis fit the same type of barrels. According my researches: 1) a 1.25 inch barrel at the shank should have some little room to be still freefloating. 2) the forend is straight and a theoretically perfectly cylindrical (the same diameter at shank and muzzle) should fit. According you experience, are you may be able to confirm this? Thanks very much in advance!

Good evening, I'm considering the Magpul 700 Pro. My barrelled action (Rem 700 SA footprint) mounts a 1.25 inch barrel (at the shank) in a MTU like contour. its 0.93 inch at the muzzle. According Magpul, this barrel would be too large. They say a medium palma countour (whitout specifying the max. shank diameter) would fit only if 6 inch off the breech, the barrel makes max. 0.92 diameter. Furthermore they say that all their stocks/chassis fit the same type of barrels. According my researches: 1) a 1.25 inch barrel at the shank should have some little room to be still freefloating. 2) the forend is straight and a theoretically perfectly cylindrical (the same diameter at shank and muzzle) should fit. According you experience, are you may be able to confirm this? Thanks very much in advance!

MTU is the largest barrel they say will work. So, either the forend is tapered on its internal dimensions, or is close enough they feel the forend will flex into the barrel. Or possibly it just doesn't work with the NVG rail.

But I'd highly discourage from trying to reason yourself why a larger than manufacturer recommended barrel contour will fit. There's a reason they are telling every no larger than MTU.

So I’m really leaning toward this chassis for a 22GT build.

I’ve looked online for comparisons, but freakin google is too stupid to figure that I’m searching for a comparison, not one or the other.

So my question is, what is the difference between the Pro and the Pro lite?
The Lite seems to be getting all the praise online and I can’t seem to find out why.

So I’m really leaning toward this chassis for a 22GT build.

I’ve looked online for comparisons, but freakin google is too stupid to figure that I’m searching for a comparison, not one or the other.

So my question is, what is the difference between the Pro and the Pro lite?
The Lite seems to be getting all the praise online and I can’t seem to find out why.

The Lite has a simpler and lighter butt stock, similar to the PRS Lite AR pattern stock. It requires tools to adjust, unlike the tool less adjustments on the original Pro.

I have an ARC Nucleus in a Pro 700 and had a W-3 on my Tikka T3 that I sold a few years ago. The W-3 was a good stock, but their polymer feels pretty homebrew compared to the Magpul. There is frequently some slight warping. Because of that, the various panels never really lined up well. Also I am cross eye dominant, so I. shoot magnified optics left handed and did modify the W-3 for the left hand action, but the folding mechanism was not reversible so it wasn't ideal.

The Magpul on the other hand is both left and right handed out of the box, including the hinge which I think puts it near the top for left handers. The SA folders are just $754 with $10 shipping from Lanbos Armory (another RSR drop shipper).

Reactions: jp67