• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magpul trigger guard upgrade

stillbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Tupelo, MS
I bought some 5-40 x 1/4" button head screws and used them to add some "tacticool" to my AR lowers. The front hole in the Magpul trigger guard is already a 5-40 thread the rear is not. I considered going one size larger for the rear but that would mean I would also have to open up the holes in my lowers, not gonna happen.
I used JBWeld and filled the rear hole. First I cleaned the hole with brake cleaner and let it dry. After it dried I mixed up my JB Weld and made sure to leave the left over close at hand so that I could monitor the drying stage. I loaded a toothpick up with JB and ran it through the hole making sure to coat it completely. I then pulled the toothpick out and cleaned the opening on one side with a straight edge and then applied a piece of scotch tape.

photo-15.jpg

After 1.5 hours I cleaned the other side of the hole using a straight edge and applied another piece of scotch tape. I used some release agent (cooking spray!) on a straightened paperclip and inserted it through the scotch tape all the way through the hole as closed to dead center as I could get. I held the trigger guards under a hair dryer for 10 minutes and then let them sit.

photo-19.jpg

photo-16.jpg

photo-17.jpg

After 2.5 hours I removed the paperclips and as you can see it left a channel all the way through. I then used a drill bit slightly undersized than the 5-40 screws. I then used the screws as my "tap" by applying some cooking spray and then lining the screw up with the hole while holding steady downward pressure I worked them in and let them sit overnight.

photo.jpg

After sitting overnight I backed them out and cleaned up the trigger guards one more time and then installed them on my rifles.

photo-2.jpg

I plan on ordering a helicoil set and will remove the JB Weld and tap the roll pin hole and insert a helicoil into the rear hole to make for a solid connection. The JB Weld is solid but I want to be 100% sure.
I posted this for those that do not have all of the tools to the helicoil method. It is pretty straightforward and simple. I have about 80 extra screws if anyone wants some shoot me a PM.

Re: Magpul trigger guard upgrade

Keeps you from trying to drive a roll pin in without the holes lined up on the trigger guard and breaking your lower. Don't ask me how I know.
sick.gif

Re: Magpul trigger guard upgrade

It solve nothing that I know of.
The Purpose? I guess because I wanted to, so I did, no other reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Keeps you from trying to drive a roll pin in without the holes lined up on the trigger guard and breaking your lower. Don't ask me how I know.
sick.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, you will only do that once before you realize the AR armorers block to support the ears is worth it's weight in gold!