• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mags for AR-15 in .204 Ruger?

Buck Wilde

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
FL
I have a .204 Ruger upper on the way. I've heard that some people have problems with .223 magazines. Should I be okay with Pmags?

I have a .204 Ruger upper on the way. I've heard that some people have problems with .223 magazines. Should I be okay with Pmags?
Damn! Let us know how it shoots. I would try your current mags first. At least Pmags are easily modified to have a larger opening?

I found out that C-Products makes Duramags for .204 Ruger, but only in 5- and 10-round sizes as far as I can tell. I'm thinking of picking up a 5-round for public land and two 10-rounds for target shooting. People say their big .223 mags work for .204 Ruger. I may get a couple. If they don't feed, they'll still be good for .223, and you can't have too many.

I used PMags in a .204R I built a few years ago. IIRC I could get about 7-8 rds in a 20 rd Pnag before things got too tight. Isn’t the shoulder on the .204 case a little more forward than on a .223? This caused the .204 cases to start to bind at some point due to a small rib on the interior sides and towards the front of the pmag. Seems like I read somewhere folks would disassemble the pmag and shave the rib down on each side to allow easier loading. Regardless of how many I rounds I was able to stuff in I don’t remember there being a problem with the feeding.

Colt 20rd mags have more internal room for the longer 204 shoulder
Pmags only work for 3/4 rds

What does the 204 Ruger offer that a 223 can't do in a gas gun??

What does the 204 Ruger offer that a 223 can't do in a gas gun??
Longer MPBR, higher velocity with the same bullet weight, higher bc varmit bullets. If all you plan an doing is shooting varmints with an ar, 204 is a good fit. It does not have the versatility of bullet selection and the barrel life will be shorter than 223, so it has its downsides.

Pmags do bind up like already stated. 7 or 8 204 rounds is all you get. Lancers work great. Dura mag too. Pretty much every mag works for me but pmags.

This is why originally the 204 Ruger was intended to copy the 20 Tactical; so it would feed in standard AR mags.

Long story short, Frontier fucked up, and we ended up with .222RemMag parent case instead of a .223.

If I were to build an AR in .20 caliber, it'd be a .20 Tactical or .20 Practical. Less headaches with magazines...which is ALWAYS the hardest part to design to function reliably.

Reactions: supercorndogs
USGI mags work great. Use 204 ruger to clear the pastures every spring.