• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Magtech causing bolt to stick in Savage

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Picked up a couple boxes of Magtech 150s on sale today and had nothing but trouble. They all chambered and fired fine (albeit very inaccurately), but the bolt was sticking shut almost every shot. The handle lifted fine but I'd have to stand the rifle up on the stock and whack downward on the bolt handle to get it to break free.

All I can point a finger at right now is over expansion. Haven't had this issue with handloads and all other factory loads I've shot.

My buddy also picked up 2 boxes for his SPSTac and had the same issues.

Anyone know why this is happening? I'm going to call the mfr on Monday to see if they might have sent out a bad batch or shed some light on why this happened. In total, we each shot 23 rounds before calling it quits. Both rifles were cleaned and oiled before going out and neither has had issues with factory or handloaded ammunition.

Re: Magtech causing bolt to stick in Savage

At least you're not alone...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xRjgVSVaVsY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xRjgVSVaVsY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Exact same problem. Is that your rifle? I'm running a 10FCP-K and it's eaten all the ammo I've put through it without a problem. I had a few loose handloads in my range bag and shot them right after the Magtechs without a hiccup.

Nope, not mine. I've had a couple of cases get stuck when shooting surplus 7.62 in my 5R, but nothing that closing the bolt handle and opening it a second time didn't cure.

There have been a couple of recent threads regarding this same issue with Savages and 7.62 surplus. In the comments for that video, the guy claims that his does it with almost any ammo.

If finding commercial ammo that extracts becomes a problem, I'd take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber size checked. It may be cut a little on the tight side. If it's just one brand that's problematic, it's probably easier to just shoot something else.

Since you say a friend is having the same issue with his Remmy, I'd suspect the ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds to me like overpressure. Send it back. Get a refund. <span style="color: #FF0000">Don't hurt the rifle</span>. JMO </div></div>

+1 on overpressure. More importantly, don't hurt yourself. Send that shit back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, not mine. I've had a couple of cases get stuck when shooting surplus 7.62 in my 5R, but nothing that closing the bolt handle and opening it a second time didn't cure.

There have been a couple of recent threads regarding this same issue with Savages and 7.62 surplus. In the comments for that video, the guy claims that his does it with almost any ammo.

If finding commercial ammo that extracts becomes a problem, I'd take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber size checked. It may be cut a little on the tight side. If it's just one brand that's problematic, it's probably easier to just shoot something else.

Since you say a friend is having the same issue with his Remmy, I'd suspect the ammo.

</div></div>

Yeah same issue, same day. We were actually playing poker at 200 yards and couldn't figure out why it was taking so long between shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: proneshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds to me like overpressure. Send it back. Get a refund. <span style="color: #FF0000">Don't hurt the rifle</span>. JMO </div></div>

+1 on overpressure. More importantly, don't hurt yourself. Send that shit back. </div></div>

What's strange to me is that it felt like a 150gr bullet. If it felt like a 175 or a 178 I woulda stopped right away. If I bought it from a local shop should I take it back there or call Magtech directly?

Only other idea I had was that the brass was too soft and expanding more than it should have, even under normal operating pressures.

I have a Savage Model 10PC and it does the exact same thing. I bought about 200 rounds of Magtech just to mess around with and I tried a random round from all of the boxes stick the same way. Everything else I feed it works just fine.

I had the same issue with my FCP-K when shooting Georgia Arms Match ammo. It shot everything from handloads to steel cased Brown Bear but GA match stuck so tight I had to whack it with a rubber mallet. I also got a spray of powder in the face. So yes, your Savage is just fine (slightly snug chamber). The ammo ain't.

Magtech is made in Brazil by CBC, a brazilian ammo company that has the monopoly of Brazilian ammunition market.
Thats right, there is not any other ammo available in Brazil, only CBC/Magtech.

Then, CBC/Magtech only produces CRAP ammunition and components (bullets specially).

There are tons of documented histories about failing ammo used by police officers (fail to fire in very and bizzarre ways including lack of powder, lack of primer, overpressure exploding guns etc).

I would NEVER EVER use CBC/Magtech ammo if there is ANY other brand available, Period!

I recomend you all do the same: avoid Magtech like hell.

I had two savages due this over the past year with different ammo.
One belonged to me and one to a friend. Both head space issue ordered gauges from midway prob. solved. might look into it.

I have the 10fcp-k the first ammo I bought for it was Magtech (it was cheaper). Shot the first one, oops! Bolt stuck...the ammo continued to do this. There is a thread on here where a gentleman posts which of the cheaper ammo manufacturers work in the Model 10's...

Not a fan of Magtech ammo. In my pistol shooting days, I used a bunch of 45ACP and it was not accurate. It showed some tendencies toward higher pressures.

For my .44 Mag lever gun (Win '94AE) it's sorta like a relatively tight pattern from a shotgun. OK for Zombies (maybe..., probably..., but I wouldn't threaten a deer with the stuff.

It makes Rem/UMC loads look like match ammo.

Greg

a friend of mine ran into the same problem with magtech while shooting his SPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a friend of mine ran into the same problem with magtech while shooting his SPS </div></div>

Your sig is awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your sig is awesome. </div></div>

i don't own a sig. watchu talkin' bout, willis?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your sig is awesome. </div></div>

i don't own a sig. watchu talkin' bout, willis? </div></div>

Haha sorry. This is the only forum where that word has a different meaning. I was talking about your signature. The thing that shows up at the bottom of all your posts. Very funny. Where did you find it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha sorry. This is the only forum where that word has a different meaning. I was talking about your signature. The thing that shows up at the bottom of all your posts. Very funny. Where did you find it?</div></div>

i think someone posted it on flickr or something like that.

I have a bunch of this Magtech and have had the same problem. Not ever round does it? Shot it out of a Remington 700. I noticed black soot around the outside of the neck of the brass of the problem rounds. I haven't call Magtech yet. Anyone else called to see if they would take it back and issue a refund, if so what was the response? Will they refund or just exchange?