• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magtech (CBC) 77 gr SMK First Defense Ammo

MontanaMan

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2007
For those who have tried it;

Velocity? Accuracy?.............better, worse than, equal to IMI Razorcore?

MM

2736 Avg FPS .84 MOA out of my Green Mtn 20" Fluted barrel.

Not sure if it’s the same load but I have quite a bit of the magtech 77 from a few years ago. Ridiculously slow. Something like 2460 out of my 18” Krieger.

Haven’t clocked them yet but it does about 0.45” out of my 16” Rainier Ultramatch at 100y. Razorcore shot like shit.

16” Ballistic Advantage gov. profile barrel / DSG arms duty grade upper w/ ALG Sidewinder brake.

Magneto Speed Chrono

Lot was recently purchased from Target Sports USA.

65 degrees
14 shot string
Max 2667
Min 2591
SD 25.6

85 degrees
6 shot string
Max 2681
Min 2558
SD 42.6

My observations:
Consistensy seems better at lower ambient temperatures for my gun. Groups quickly get scattered once barrel heats up in warmer weather.

I get decent accuracy at 100 (consistently hit 2 inch squares from various supported positions, which is my goal with this upper) but my accuracy with this load falls apart by 200 yards (based on shooting 2 moa steel).

My experience mirrors Back Spin above. I use it in three rifles, a Noveske (chf chrome lined barrel), a BCM ss410, and a Noveske 3rd gen with F1 barrel. The BCM and F1 barrel shoot below 1/2" @ 100 yards and hold accuracy out to at least 400 yards. (Farthest I have shot them) The Noveske chf is not really a precision rifle but still groups just under 1" @ 100. All are 16" and chrono about 2650.

Just shot some yesterday out to 600 yards. Only shot one group at 100 yards and it measured ~ 1.5” from my BCM 16” elw with a 1-6x scope and a less than ideal rest (range bag under handguard, no rear bag). This barrel shoots the same with IMI and doesn’t shoot much better with fgmm, shoots best with 53gr vmax at about 1 moa.

Didn’t chrono it but plugged in 2700 fps to Strelok and made consistent hits out to 600 yards on steel using the JM-bdc reticle and the holds shown in the app (which were pretty much right on with the hash marks at 300, 400, 500 and 600).

I use CBC Magtech 77's almost exclusively.
In my 16" Criterion hybrid chrome lined build:
Temp. 54 deg.
Barometric pressure 30.02
Velocity: 2747.4 fps
Standard dev. 18.5
min: 2728
max: 2769
Spread: 41

I haven't clocked it in my newest 18" White Oak barrel, but I'm getting approximately 2799 fps based on some reverse engineering of my dope (matching my scope dope to elevation in my ballistic app). Both barrels shoot half MOA, even better a few times on perfect days with this load.

I use CBC Magtech 77's almost exclusively.
In my 16" Criterion hybrid chrome lined build:
Temp. 54 deg.
Barometric pressure 30.02
Velocity: 2747.4 fps
Standard dev. 18.5
min: 2728
max: 2769
Spread: 41

I haven't clocked it in my newest 18" White Oak barrel, but I'm getting approximately 2799 fps based on some reverse engineering of my dope (matching my scope dope to elevation in my ballistic app). Both barrels shoot half MOA, even better a few times on perfect days with this load.

That's about 80 FPS faster than velocity report by BackSpin............maybe some lot to lot diff or old lot - new lot? Maybe a little more difference than might be expected or maybe you've just got a fast barrel, LOL.

MM

That's about 80 FPS faster than velocity report by BackSpin............maybe some lot to lot diff or old lot - new lot? Maybe a little more difference than might be expected or maybe you've just got a fast barrel, LOL.

MM
True story. Seems to be a fast barrel as I’ve gotten higher velocity out of that 16” barrel than I have in others with the same rounds. I clock my velocities every 5-600 rounds or so to check for changes in average velocity. This one seems to stay the same and doesn’t accumulate any copper fouling. I guess maybe I got lucky? I’ve read some negative reviews about criterion’s on here but this one is pretty sharp. The flier in the photo was my fault. The guy next to me had a .338 with a monsterous brake on it that spooked me when I was squeezing that shot, and it’s the only pic of a group shot with that rifle that I can find. Target was at 100 yds.

Attachments

• AFB7B38F-A53D-4CED-98BF-202CC58A1FAD.jpeg
    AFB7B38F-A53D-4CED-98BF-202CC58A1FAD.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: