• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maintaining a Data Book

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    Guys, great job on the podcast, been listening a bunch on road trips.

I recently got myself a data book in an effort to force myself to slow down during range trips and record/learn from the lessons that are right there in front of me. I’d really love to hear some discussion about maintaining a data book, what data is the most important to capture, and how to get the most out of it.

I always record date, temp, humidity, wind speed/direction, and direction I’m shooting at to start.

Then if I’m shooting 200+ I record and corrections I make to scope

If using a Chronograph, I record velocity, Es and Sd.

Any notes like if I’m shooting prone that day, bench, etc

On a separate book at my reloading bench, date as well, and all my load data (brass, bullet, bullet lot, primer, powder, seating depth, etc) along with anything else related like if I was just shooting groups, the group size. Additional notes here too like if I noticed some loads were too hot (cratered primers, etc)

I keep a dedicated notebook for each and every barrel I own. Includes, dates, environment, temp ,pressure, sky cover, range to target, load, # of loads on the brass, round count, load data ( bullet, seating depth, powder charge ,Primer) velocity, es, sd of each load, and make a diagram of hits in order of shot.

This book gets logged every range trip and is even kept after the barrel is shot out for future reference for the next barrel reference.

I've been using data sheets from Impact Data Books. Mostly use Shooter's Diary pages but also Chronograph, Come Ups and Ballistic Computer pages. All pages show all the environmentals. And I also keep a shot log.

1613176686810.png