• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Major Flaw With AB Kestrel 5700 Elite

ThePretzel

Mr. Anonymous Bread Product
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
Colorado
It all began this morning when the forecast called for a stiff breeze out here in Colorado, and I figured it was the perfect time to practice my wind reading skills with a little shooting. I donned my trusty Applied Ballistics hat, adding a wrap or two of duct tape to keep it firmly attached, and headed out to the range.

That was when I first discovered, much to my chagrin, a major flaw in the Applied Ballistics software integrated in my Kestrel - it will not measure continuous or maximum wind speeds higher than 50mph while in ballistics mode, nor will it calculate firing solutions for wind speeds greater than 50mph.

While ordinarily this wouldn't trouble me much, the issue was that the average wind speed at times this morning was north of 60mph with peak gusts regularly reaching 80, 90, and once even 104mph. How am I expected to make do with a ballistics calculator that only accepts wind inputs half as large as the wind I'm shooting in? This is an outrage, and I'm quite disappointed!

Hopefully in a future update the Applied Ballistics team will be able to rectify this issue to allow shooting in wind speeds up to and including F1 tornados, fully accommodating any of their customers in the shooting circumstances they may encounter from day to day. I'm sure the lack of such important functionality thus far was nothing more than an accidental oversight that somehow slipped through the cracks, and I'm looking forward to my next range trip to test out the fix - as soon as I find my trusty hat, that is, which somehow still managed to escape despite my improvised adhesive stampede strings.

On another note, I believe I'll need to either switch to heavy 115gr bullets in my Dasher to cut through the wind better, or perhaps start to offset my scope by 90° on breezy days like today to ensure enough windage turret travel. Even with only half of my actual wind speed input in the device, I was running out of adjustment range before 1,000 yards with my current 105 Hybrid load.
20211215_101720.jpg

Last edited:
To seriously fault the kestrel because it won’t give a solution for a 55 mph wind is seriously silly

😂
Hey now, this Kestrel is rated to be accurate in wind speeds up to over 80 miles an hour. I paid for the entire measurement range, by golly I'd like to use the entire measurement range!

Reactions: Voroshilovsky
You'll be happy to know that the desktop AB software calculates it just fine.

At 1000 yards with a 100mph wind Im at almost a 21mil wind hold.

Im going to see if I can never be in a situation where I can try that.

That's good to know, I thought it was just a limitation of the Applied Ballistics software but it must have something to do with the calculation hardware inside the Kestrel if it works on a desktop.

Out of curiosity, would anybody with a Kestrel 5700X be willing to see if the maximum wind speed limitation on that higher-powered device is different?

Just spit balling here but in a heavy wind, it is my understanding that the lighter the bullet the better - I read that in the inter web somewhere -just a suggestion but I hear that a 223 out of a 14 inch barrel with a 55gr bullet is fantastic in those conditions especially over 1000 yards. May I recommend this beauty as an optic -

Last edited:
Reactions: Two36
A guy at the gun store told me that the 6.5 Creedmire boolits turn into the wind all by themselves. Wind holds are for peasants.

You just need to start doubling the wind holds. Manually dial in 27.5, then double the hold to get the correct Colorado/Wyoming wind hold. This is why I wish PRS would re-evaluate the scoring methods I mean how often are they running matches out east during the hurricanes? Out here we get real wind :)

Reactions: rg1911
You just need to start doubling the wind holds. Manually dial in 27.5, then double the hold to get the correct Colorado/Wyoming wind hold. This is why I wish PRS would re-evaluate the scoring methods I mean how often are they running matches out east during the hurricanes? Out here we get real wind :)
Your molded cheek piece has helped me keep the same position in in several hurricanes here out East. At this point I won’t even do load development if it’s below 40mph - Childs play. Your winds out west are nothing - I didn’t even know about the kestrel 50 mph thing cause my mind is that good at ballistic solutions that I don’t even use it anymore for wind. Too easy.

Happened to be resetting my Kestrel 5700 Elite today and saw your hilarious posts. Then I got to sorting through the settings of the Menu (the star-like button) to scroll down to Graph Scales to puch the Enter button. The list shows "Wind Spd" and allows me to push the right-pointing arrow button to raise the maximum wind speed (Set High) threshhold. I now have mine set to 107.4 MPH so I can visit my sister in Colorado (where real winds happen) and she will not out-shoot me and my Kestrel ;)