• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Major malfunction

cotntop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
tarheel,nc
My shooting partner tried a new powder today and got a blown primer. The rifle will not fire, just a light click from the bolt. Rifle is a Surgeon built 300WM with a Jewell trigger. Did all i knew to do except take trigger apart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you find the blown primer and was it pierced?

If you are putting a new round in, it chambers and the bolt locks down fine and it clicks its one of 2 things; the primer on the round isn't going off (hangfire, check to see if its dimpled) or, the most likely is the previous blown primer round bent or broke off a piece of the firing pin.

ETA - A major malfunction is usually something that has you picking metal out of parts of your body. :)

Took bolt apart and found no debri. Will check firing pin again. Problem is probably in plain sight, just never had this happen before.

When you close the bolt, does the firing pin stay cocked or fall? If it's the latter, the seer or some other part in the trigger is likely broken. The pressure escapes the pierced primer into the bolt, forcing the pin back and raking the seer. The pierced primer could be from several things. Too hot a load, too much head space, etc etc.

Bolt guns have no hammer per say. The pin is the hammer. Pull that bolt apart and examine the pin carefully

I say hammer cuz I am a hick.
you should take the FP assembly out of the bolt and flush everything completely. Then do the same with the bolt body. Clean it up with a bore mop and then try it again. FPs don't move much that you can see.
how are you testing it right now? Are you actually trying to set a primer off?

If you think there is trash in the trigger you can flush it with lighter fluid and blow it out with canned air.
Just remove it from the action before doing that so you can see what you're doing better.

No, firing pin moves about 1/16in or less forward. Just a small click.

If the firing pin stays cocked, it's probably trash in the bolt. Take the pin out and clean bolt body with carburetor cleaner and some blasts of air.

My shooting partner tried a new powder today and got a blown primer. The rifle will not fire, just a light click from the bolt. Rifle is a Surgeon built 300WM with a Jewell trigger. Did all i knew to do except take trigger apart. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Your trigger is broken.

Pierced primers killing Jewells is pretty well documented here. I've never had it happen, but I have read many posts about it.

how the heck does a pierced primer kill a trigger?
Not sure, bud. It breaks something, though. The real kicker from what I've read, it often happens the first time. Some guys have broken several.

Last edited:
how the heck does a pierced primer kill a trigger?
Remington style firing pins act like a piston when a primer is blown and the gas hits it. This drives the pin to the rear with so much force it hits the trip while you still have the trigger held to the rear during follow threw, that many times breaks a Jewell trigger depending weapon fit. A Jewell is a little different that a std factory trigger. Take a unloaded weapon, dry fire the factory and while holding the trigger to the rear open the bolt. Then do the same with a Jewell you'll feel the difference.

Gonna swap triggers and will let you guys know what i find. Really appreciate all the help.

Swapped out the trigger and that was the problem. Broke down some of that guys loads and they were 4 gr over max. Looks like a good reason for blown primer. Thanks again.

Last edited: